Our Sturgis on the River '08 Attempt - 56K No no

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Well we knew it wouldn't be the easiest trip in the world with all the flooding going on along the Iowa and Cedar River, so we had a route planned via the Iowa DOT Website, as we had found a road that wasn't closed just North of I-80. My wife Samantha followed us over as she had some things that we couldn't get packed up and fit on the bike as she's a new mom, so we threw everybody's gear in the car. She also took pics for us a lot.

Just met up and stopping for fuel, you know the V-Max passes everything but a gas station. :D
SturgisAttempt08001.jpg

Rollin' down I-80
SturgisAttempt08003.jpg

SturgisAttempt08004.jpg

Me
SturgisAttempt08005.jpg

SturgisAttempt08008.jpg

Jason and wife Angela on the '81 Goldwing
SturgisAttempt08006.jpg

SturgisAttempt08007.jpg

Jason's friend Richie and girlfriend Jill on his Shadow
SturgisAttempt08002.jpg

SturgisAttempt08010.jpg

We had met up with Jeff and his wife Tara in Coralville at the local H-D shop and we headed for our route around the closed section of I-80. Here's what we found. Also a special thanks to the DOT website for letting us know, pffft.

SturgisAttempt08013.jpg

SturgisAttempt08014.jpg

SturgisAttempt08015.jpg

SturgisAttempt08016.jpg

SturgisAttempt08017.jpg

After talking to the locals and numerous phone calls to Nathan and Chris, BTW thanks again fellas, we decided our only other routes to get to the Quad Cities was going to be another 3 hours onto our ride, and it was already 6PM. We cancelled our rooms and decided to hang out with Jeff and Tara in Iowa City and party it up with them.

I have to thank Jeff yet again as he told us about the Poker Run they were doing down by his town so Saturday we met up with them and rolled on that. We all had fun Friday night as Jeff was given the option per his request ;) to either have a Habenro hot wing of mine, or a "Bar Mat" shot. He graciously took the hot wing, and said it was "Stingy" haha.

Saturday Riding around Iowa City/Corralville hitting up the Corralville dam and a park that was under water. Note the water going OVER the damn, not through it.

SturgisAttempt08024.jpg

SturgisAttempt08025.jpg

The submerged park we were at when we made the news...... :D
SturgisAttempt08026.jpg

SturgisAttempt08027.jpg

SturgisAttempt08028.jpg

SturgisAttempt08029.jpg

SturgisAttempt08032.jpg

Anyway, there were some good stories to be had and I had a great time. It's too bad Samantha didn't get the pictures of us on the way home of "running down the highway" on the bikes or the "superman" riding we did amongst other stupid stuff we were doing.

Just a couple snaps on the way home last night.
SturgisAttempt08034.jpg

I had just got done "running" while I was on the bike.
SturgisAttempt08035.jpg

Jason being, well Jason
SturgisAttempt08036.jpg

Atleast you made the most of it. Well, I guess we will just have to make another excuse to meet you now. Have fun and be careful. Roy

Dunstin, once again it was great meeting up with you and your gang from Des Moines, sorry we couldn't get over to the Quad Cities, but I think we did o.k. for what we had to work with. Terra had a great time as well... I was really glad to get her out of the house and away from grad school stuff all weekend.

Jeff

Dunstin, once again it was great meeting up with you and your gang from Des Moines, sorry we couldn't get over to the Quad Cities, but I think we did o.k. for what we had to work with. Terra had a great time as well... I was really glad to get her out of the house and away from grad school stuff all weekend.

Jeff

Agreed on having fun for the situation, or hell any situation, we all had fun.

We'll all have to hook up again, I know Samantha had a good time as well. It's nice seeing the women have fun.

Back