over racing bar riser install part 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odieoh24

Reaction score
this should have been posted prior to the previous post on the riser install. i didnt have the camera on the first attempt. this is basically how to remove the bars and stock clamps so you can install the over racing risers-to either the stock setup or the otec setup). the 1st post shows the stock setup. once i get the RIGHT spacers-i'll detail the otec procedure as well. then hopefully one of the site moderators can group the 3 posts into one large how to on the install. lets get started
1st remove the headlight crown by removing the two bolts on either side. (you may want to partially remove the headlight-i'll be changinge mine out over winter so i wasnt worried about any possible scratches. the whole procedure can be done with the headlight in place as long as you are patient and take your time!)
001-1.jpg

next use a knife and carefully remove the plastic plugs in the tops of the stock riser clamp
002-2.jpg

remove the screws and clamp. this will allow you to remove the bars. be sure to place something over your fauk cover and rest the bar assembly on the tank
020-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

now remove the speedo bracket. mines a custom mount for the digital speedo but it mounts in the same way the stock setup does.
005-4.jpg

remove the bolts holding the bottom bar clamp from underneath the triples. i have the otec setup so things look a little different but, its the same idea. once these bolts are removed your ready to do the install on a stock setup. on the otec triples-once the bolts are out-pull the stock clamp out of the triples
015-1.jpg

this is what the triples look like with the clamp and spacers removed
012-1.jpg

now unscrew the spacers from the stock bottom bar clamp mount. the threads on the risers are different from the ones on the stock bottom mount which is why i needed the new ones made
010-1.jpg

this is where the project currently sits as i await the spacers. i may have to put it back together though as its 55 degrees here at 11am and go for a ride. once they get here i'll post the final part of the install with pics of the risers on the bike.

later odeioh24

Looks Great!!! I ended up using the Genmar one piece unit,blends in perfectly with the stock profile...

I am brand new to this forum hell I'm brand new to any forum. I'm about to purchase drag Bars nothing crazy from stock bars just want most of that 2 inch rise flattened out. Does this happen with getting into Cables, wires, ect. Thanks

Yes I am and sorry just found out how to return. I can Ride the Wheels off a 1st Gen Vmax but Techy stuff not so much. I am speaking of 1st Gen.

Should be no big issues with the bars. I took my Gen 1 stock bars and flipped them upside down, but added ROX adjustable risers. Lots of room to move bars up or down on a Gen 1. Cables have plenty of slack, but the clutch or hydraulic lines could be a limiting factor. There are no locating pins on the bars or risers like on a Gen 2, so you can move the reservoirs around a bit on the bars. I even did some clip on bars to the fork tubes and they worked with the stock cables/hoses but one of the clamps cracked, so those were returned.

Thanks for the info. I Love Love the bike sense the 1st time I layed eyes on her. I was 14 I think in 89 my Pops was a Live by the seat of his pants always searching for that adrenaline or Rush from Hunting the VeitCong. He Did 3 tours for what ever reason seems but shit crazy to me but to tell who he was. 173rd The Herd and the 1st Cav. 2 purple put that Cat on a VMax and damn. He had seen it all and i mean didn't give Rats ass if he was hear or not lmao. Makes for some incredible Riding he survived the Vmax in Erin TN at about 130 on a road he thought he knew well lmao. Any Who I'm so stoked to be back Her after about a 18 year hiatus. 1st thing I did when the fellow let me test drive is Cruz on up to about 50 rapped about half way and Jump down on it took about 3 or 4 seconds and the Oil light Popped up. Yup she is Tuned okay Plugs firing good lol

How do you post pictures on the Forum or is it possible. And by the way you guys have a great thing going here.

How do you post pictures on the Forum or is it possible. And by the way you guys have a great thing going here.
20211107_095904.jpg She is going into the Yamaha Shop today here in Tennessee just let them go over her. The Guy pulled the Air Cover off and says It has a Barnett Clutch lol Well thats good to know but it Ain't itching my pocket a Bit to see a decal. Lol I told him that just so he knew kinda that I was not THAT!!!!!!!! Sucker. If so Cool but a 15 Mile ride isn't enough. I'm pretty sure though it is after about 500 miles it's fairly Tight about as tight as you'd want really clear to the Top end of the pull and smooth through the entire pull.

Me mirrors are gone and that Light House of a Tail light is gone. Moved the Tail and brake light to replace that reflector. The Bars I hate to wide the grips are outside of my shoulders and seems to Add a Ton of weight to the front tire. Resized_20211125_160438.jpeg

Added a Blue Light at about the 2 O'clock if your looking from the side on the right. Help the knuckle head that wouldn't see me see me maybe.... MAYBE!!!!

Should be no big issues with the bars. I took my Gen 1 stock bars and flipped them upside down, but added ROX adjustable risers. Lots of room to move bars up or down on a Gen 1. Cables have plenty of slack, but the clutch or hydraulic lines could be a limiting factor. There are no locating pins on the bars or risers like on a Gen 2, so you can move the reservoirs around a bit on the bars. I even did some clip on bars to the fork tubes and they worked with the stock cables/hoses but one of the clamps cracked, so those were returned.
Flipped upside down? Wouldn't that send then Bend away and angled

Oh I see what your saying wow yea I may still that idea if your cool with it. I have been looking but that does seem good

View attachment 81455 She is going into the Yamaha Shop today here in Tennessee just let them go over her. The Guy pulled the Air Cover off and says It has a Barnett Clutch lol Well thats good to know but it Ain't itching my pocket a Bit to see a decal. Lol I told him that just so he knew kinda that I was not THAT!!!!!!!! Sucker. If so Cool but a 15 Mile ride isn't enough. I'm pretty sure though it is after about 500 miles it's fairly Tight about as tight as you'd want really clear to the Top end of the pull and smooth through the entire pull.
Yamaha V Max is my dream Bike

Latest posts

Back