Over reading speedo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Bamford

Reaction score
Hi folks, bike new to me. 1999 V-Max. Nice bike rides well and boost works. But the speedo and odometer are over reading by about 20%. 18 inch front tyre and the speedo has V-Max at bottom of clock. UK V-Max. Ideas?

Hi folks, bike new to me. 1999 V-Max. Nice bike rides well and boost works. But the speedo and odometer are over reading by about 20%. 18 inch front tyre and the speedo has V-Max at bottom of clock. UK V-Max. Ideas?
Did this bike previously have 17" tires? If so there might be a different drive unit installed to compensate. But 20% would be extreme.

I have thought about the speedo drive and that is next on the list to test. My over read is based on the fact it was 20% further coming home from where I picked it up to my usual mileage there. Distance 150 miles so statistically significant. Also cruising at an indicated 85mph a significant number of vehicles were passing me unlike my usual trip on that road at 80 mph.

Putting a GPS speedo app on my phone and will take a run up the motorway next time it is not pissing it down. This is Scotland so don`t hold your breath for next update.

Latest posts

Back