Overheating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenreesesr

Reaction score
Friend of mine has an 85 V-Max and he installed a switch to manually turn the radiator fan on. He says it tends to overheat, mostly in traffic. The manual fan switch solves the problem. My 2003 has no issues with overheating. Is their a difference in the years of the bikes?

All years will be the same for the bypass. It's likely not overheating but it will get pretty hot on the meter. Turning the switch on sooner will help keep the temp controlled to the same temp when the fan was turned on. Very simple and popular modification.

Try fitting the Honda thermostat as mentioned in another section in this forum, it worked a treat on mine.

Not really...they're more of a gimmick.

Installing a fan switch is much cheaper, easier, and more effective.

Friend of mine has an 85 V-Max and he installed a switch to manually turn the radiator fan on. He says it tends to overheat, mostly in traffic. The manual fan switch solves the problem. My 2003 has no issues with overheating. Is their a difference in the years of the bikes?

The difference is probably the age of the bike and perhaps how well the cooling system has been looked after.

Provided that you change the coolant (anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitor) in line with the manufacturers recommendations it will minimise the build-up of debris within the core of the radiator which impedes heat transfer. You should not have any issues so can sleep easy at night and dream of the next 'safety modification' planned for your Max.

Back