overheating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my Max from Indiana to the Gulf Coast a couple months back, temp gauge stayed at 3/4 almost the entire trip. Great ride, no issues. It only had 3,000 miles on it when I left. I assumed, about 1/4 of the way thru the trip, that 3/4 was standard operating temperature once the engine was fully up to temp. It was bouncing around 100 degrees F outside the whole time.
Love the Vmax, hope to keep it until I get old enough to need the 2 wheeled lazy boy that is a gold wing.

Hi thx dan2theVmax about your experience.... here in cold Sweden we have normally not over 65-80 F but still my bike goes over 12 oclock level very easy but not much higher in normal 60-75 mph running. Low speed I try to avoid as a Im a paranoid man You know.....:(
All other Vmax owner info gives me confidence that my bike has no fault , this IS SET UP from factory!
Im now working with # manual evacuation # of the air in cooling liquid.
I feel got in due to the manual procedure when changing last Year.
Should have bought and used a vaccum cooling unit ; very cheap 60-70 dollar....
Me also love the Vmax but I can give You a fight with a new Goldwing on a twisty road.... not lazy no way try It and You love it ? !
// Lars

I actually took a ride over the weekend to the hills of Indiana and had a younger guy on a gold wing pull up next to me. We then proceeded to pass every car in sight and take all the curvy roads at 70mph+. He definitely didn’t have the acceleration I did but he kept up all the same. It sure does look comfy....

Nice You still have possibility to run, here the winter is coming closer no more biking for me:( ... maintenance on my 4 bikes take some time makes it myself if possible.
Drive safe//lars

Hi Jerry nice to hear from your CBX-6 experience, here in Sweden/Europe they started selling them as model 1978... more or less the same as -79 in US.
As You describe this is the riding "improvement" bike....:p With a 35 mm front leg dia (todays 125 cc has bigger dia!) this bike learns You (or not) how to handle that "Ferrari sound/power" bike.
Bought it 1995 as a "rat bike", renovating it myself 2006-2007 now in good running condition but not mint, likes to ride also.
Have just changed to modern Bridgestone tyres front and back this will be a real improvment next season. Just now preparing for winter season with special petrol devise to not clogg carburettors.
Todays petrol are dreadful to old bikes.. my new bikes with fuel injection handles it better I believe
LOVE My CBX but my VMAX is a far better bike in all practical aspects except for the look; a straight aircooled six cylinder without a lot of extra covers is a real bike.
// Lars

Hey now I have a Goldwing as well. Actually just picked up 2 weeks ago. 2009 with 940 miles on her. Need some cosmetics work, but she rides smooth.

Attachments

• 20191009_185907.jpg
    20191009_185907.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191009_185921.jpg
    20191009_185921.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191009_185935.jpg
    20191009_185935.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20191009_185949.jpg
    20191009_185949.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 27
Nice bike with so low mileage, Why so few miles in 10 years ?
My 2002 Goldwing was a real twist turner . I havent before understood how fast You can drive with > 425 kg+ Goldwing compared to other bikes. I learnt fast !
The Goldwing still one of my beloved bikes after sale some You want back some not !
My earlier Harley Deuce 2000 was the best looking and a very nice functionally total, but still roadholding was a mess compared to even my Honda CBX -6 1978 ! But that doesnt matter I I love the Deuce look and Its` well engineered from Company !
Ride safe/Lars

Nice bike with so low mileage, Why so few miles in 10 years ?
My 2002 Goldwing was a real twist turner . I havent before understood how fast You can drive with > 425 kg+ Goldwing compared to other bikes. I learnt fast !
The Goldwing still one of my beloved bikes after sale some You want back some not !
My earlier Harley Deuce 2000 was the best looking and a very nice functionally total, but still roadholding was a mess compared to even my Honda CBX -6 1978 ! But that doesnt matter I I love the Deuce look and Its` well engineered from Company !
Ride safe/Lars

Well sorry you asked about the mileage. I purchased the Goldwing from my Step Mom. My dad purchased the bike just before he retired and then he got sick and eventually passed away 2 years ago. He only put 236 miles on it before it was parked. I paid to get the bike running again because it sat so long minus the cover. My brother inlaw had one of his friends try to sell it, but kept getting low ball offers. Somehow the kid went from 236 miles to 940 miles in two months in his efforts to sell. My Step Mom kept saying she needed cash fast. I gave in and purchased it.

Hi, Sad to hear the history about the Goldwing , life is not fair at all! I believe Your father is glad that You have it today and hopefully gives You very nice riding cause it is a real road bike !
Drive safe
Regards
//Lars

Hi, Sad to hear the history about the Goldwing , life is not fair at all! I believe Your father is glad that You have it today and hopefully gives You very nice riding cause it is a real road bike !
Drive safe
Regards
//Lars

Yes I plan to make him proud. :) Thanks!!

Okay you guys are my last chance before I say the hell with it. Pretty sure my vmax is a 2000 has 42k miles on it but the coolant tank under tank cover had oil or some kind of build up in it pain to clean

Hey Man, It could possibly the water-pump drive shaft bearing seal. Otherwise I hate to tell you, but it sounds like you a blew a head gasket or have an internal leaking gasket. Normally oil in the coolant means a blown head-gasket or a cracked head. Perhaps a leak in the gasket of an engine case which is a slim chance. Have you checked your oil to see if there is coolant in it? I worked my way through my undergraduate years working for Honda,Yamaha and Kawasaki dealers and that horror normally meant a leaking head gasket or cracked head. I have not had to replace the water pump on any of my Maxs so , had 3, but there is the output shaft that drives it and that seal could be leaking. I would hope for that...

Hey Man, It could possibly the water-pump drive shaft bearing seal. Otherwise I hate to tell you, but it sounds like you a blew a head gasket or have an internal leaking gasket. Normally oil in the coolant means a blown head-gasket or a cracked head. Perhaps a leak in the gasket of an engine case which is a slim chance. Have you checked your oil to see if there is coolant in it? I worked my way through my undergraduate years working for Honda,Yamaha and Kawasaki dealers and that horror normally meant a leaking head gasket or cracked head. I have not had to replace the water pump on any of my Maxs so , had 3, but there is the output shaft that drives it and that seal could be leaking. I would hope for that...

+1 it's been awhile since I been in one, but I believe the gasket could also let oil and water mix. Just make sure the ceramic washer isn't cracked, happend to me. Easy way to tell if you have oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil.

My 2011 Max is doing the same it ran up to the red a couple of times. I got home ok shut it down. The next day it was OK then took the bike out and same happened the temp ran up in to the red. This bike should not run this hot.. I stopped the bike and let it cool for 15min I got home OK but the temp climbed back up to red after 15miles. I checked every thing when I got back fan fuses ect just the usual process of elimination.I drained the collant and there was lots of debris that looked like road grit in the bottom of the bucket. I'm guessing scale from the system. I put the nozzle of the garden hose in to the radiator to flush with fresh water. Did this for about 30 ltrs return in to a bucket and I was still getting debris back. This would have been enough to block the system up it would not take much to stop coolant circulation. I topped up with clean pre mix coolant and did a 250 mile run stopping 3 or 4 times 2 fuel stops. The bike ran OK as it should with the temp at the half way mark until I was 20 miles from home and temo guage again went up in to the red. So seems to me some of the debris still in the system and will need another flush coolant change.

My 2011 Max is doing the same it ran up to the red a couple of times. I got home ok shut it down. The next day it was OK then took the bike out and same happened the temp ran up in to the red. This bike should not run this hot.. I stopped the bike and let it cool for 15min I got home OK but the temp climbed back up to red after 15miles. I checked every thing when I got back fan fuses ect just the usual process of elimination.I drained the collant and there was lots of debris that looked like road grit in the bottom of the bucket. I'm guessing scale from the system. I put the nozzle of the garden hose in to the radiator to flush with fresh water. Did this for about 30 ltrs return in to a bucket and I was still getting debris back. This would have been enough to block the system up it would not take much to stop coolant circulation. I topped up with clean pre mix coolant and did a 250 mile run stopping 3 or 4 times 2 fuel stops. The bike ran OK as it should with the temp at the half way mark until I was 20 miles from home and temo guage again went up in to the red. So seems to me some of the debris still in the system and will need another flush coolant change.
Funky,,great info!!

Air in the system could also be the probable caus... the bike only took 3.25 ltrs of fluid in to the system when it should take 3.75ltrs including filling up the cooling lines. This would leave a big air gap which could cause the bike to over heat intermittently which mine is doing. It goes in to the red ..you stop for 1/2 an hour and then it will be OK for another 2hr run and then up in to the red again ..fkn pain. Will need to flush again though to make sure all the crap out of the system then fill up with the correct volume of coolant ...it should be just over the 4ltrs including the expansion tank up to the mark... the majik number being 3.75 ltrs in to the engin system. Just need to run the bike up to temp and bleed the air to ensure you get the right volume of fluid in to the system .

..you stop for 1/2 an hour and then it will be OK for another 2hr run and then up in to the red again

If it will run OK for two hours then I have doubts that an air lock is the issue.
I would be feeling around the radiator to see if there are any cooler areas which would indicate a blockage or pull the thermostat and check that is working as it should.

HI I checked again to see if it would take more fluid and hey prestow she drank another 0.5ltr of coolant. I started the bike and let her idle for 1/2 an hour, the temp increased to the 3/4 Mark and the fan kicked in as it should and the temp decreased to normal running temp. I let her cool down and again checked the level and she took a further 0.25 ltrs. I started her up and let her run to check for any leaks in the system and all ok. Put every thing back together and took the bike out for a good 20mile thrash and I mean I was caning it the temp sat at 1/2 way and just under no issues problem solved. So in future when you change or top up with coolant be sure to bleed the right amount in to this mill as there are a lot of channels hoses at different angles ect so easy to get an air lock which will cause overheating issues. I am now a happy bunny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back