overheating?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WYp8riot

Reaction score
I replaced my R/R on my 92 with the R/R for the 2005/8 model and ran the extra wire to the neg post on the battery. That seemed to fix the volatage issue. However after the bike got warm and the radiotor kicked on the bike stalled and when I tried to start it it didnt want to turn over and the speedo light would go off, but the headlight was still on. This morning I put the bike on the tender and a t lunch time started it. It did seem to try and turn over twice with the starter rather than starting on the initial try.

Any ideas?

-Paul

Correction, it was warm but not overheating or in the red. Perhaps when the fan comes on it creates a problem? Any ideas?

-Paul

It sounds like a low battery voltage issue. Are you sure you are getting a good charge off the new R/R?

I believe the battery was holding 13 something and the R/R brought it to 14 something while running. Increasing the throttle increased the voltage reading across the battery terminals.

-Paul

After riding the bike for a couple days I checked the voltage at the battery (not running) and I am reading 13.08 I will check it running and at higher RPMS today after work.

What should It be reading?

12.6 is fully charged. They will hold a surface charge higher then that. Ideal charging voltage is 13.5-15 volts.

Sean

I think m y charge is good, but while comming home from a 3 hour trip yesterday my tach and temp guage quit working. I am thinking it may have happened when the radiator fan kicked on. The charging doesnt seem to be a problem anymore though.

???

thats all one fuse.. did your indicator lights stop too?

Yes and the fuse was blown and when I replaced it, nothing happened except it blew another fuse. I am assuming there is a short somewhere?
Anyway this doesnt have much to do with overheating as the thread was originally posted as. It is something else electrical.

???

i got a short there when i had my shift light hooked up to my tach and wanted to read the voltage getting to the shift light and blew the fuse b/c it bypassed the tach and got too much juice

I should add that my Brake light switch went bad and caused the fuse to blow.

I have replaced it. I read elsewhere someone else had the same problem. So if you have a first gen with an older brake light switch that goes out it will blow the fuse on you.

Latest posts

Back