**Oversize Battery Mod** 340-CCA, *ULTIMATE* FIX for all hot / cold start problems!**

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidyanazo

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to share something with ya'll... I had the notorious starting problems- So I went the usual route of replacing the battery with the oddysey 170cca, then I soldered the R/R wires, then the "crimp”, which I removed and re-soldered those wires, and various other connections.. And still wasn't satisfactory for me. So I went to my local parts place, and grabbed those books they use to lookup and order parts from the warehouses. I pulled my battery out of the ‘max, and removed the battery holding tray.. And measured everything..I went through all the available batteries in the powersports books from the parts store, until I found the one I wanted- Basically, It's a AGM, sealed (ready to use, no adding acid) battery for a jet ski... It's a serious battery and weighs 18LB. (I tried the $289 ballistic li-ion racing battery out of my ducati superbike, which starts the 13:1 comp. built race motor pretty well- and only weighs 2.2LB..But in the 'max, even it doesn't work so well!) So yes, it’s heavy, but it really works awesome. To fit it, you just remove the batt. tray, and place the new battery in. It’s big enough the fit is snug, but I added a metal strap (see pics) and up top I used the stock rubber battery hold down strap- now it’s solid- and will not move. The fact that it’s DOUBLE the cold cranking amps of the odyssey (340cca VS 170cca) means even is super cold, this thing will turn over with ease. The out the door price is $110, so it’s relatively inexpensive, and in my opinion, totally worth it.
Take a look at the photos and you can see how I mounted it, just be aware you do need to custom make a hold down strap of some sort, but you can easily use the battery box mounting holes for that. It only took me 5 mins. to do using an old muffler mounting strap. Honestly, there’s NO downside to this, except the weight of 18LBS. But really, that’s just 5-6LB more then a “regular” stock AGM battery- so no biggie. These aren’t race bikes where every ounce matters, for me what matters most is the reliability- since out of my 5 motorcycles, this is my ‘everyday, all day’ bike I ride the most. So anyhow, $100, a few minutes of your time, and you got the biggest, most powerful battery you can fit in the max- there is less then a 1/“4 clearance in all directions for this battery, so it uses ALL the possible space in the frame. Perfect.

Here’s a link for it with lots of good info. Made in the USA!, non spillable/AGM.. and all the tech specs you’d need want to know.

http://www.etx18l.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4rgMTAG1dk&hd=1

Re: **Oversize Battery Mod** 340-CCA, *ULTIMATE* FIX for all hot / cold start problem

Good job nidyanazo, way make it work! Sean Morley did something similar with an oversized diehard battery from Sears. Take a look at this thread:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=113

Re: **Oversize Battery Mod** 340-CCA, *ULTIMATE* FIX for all hot / cold start problem

You could have gotten this UB12220 AGM 420 CCA 22Ah battery for $50.50 (shipped) and it fits in the stock battery box without the need to modify it:
http://www.apexbattery.com/ub1220-12v-22ah-battery.html

I've had the UB12180 - 283 CCA 18 Ah AGM in my max for over 7 years now and it works great as well.

Last edited:

Exactly, same thing as our big battery mod. We sell the Earth X batteries now and can get some serious power out of the big ones.

You could have gotten this UB12220 AGM 420 CCA 22Ah battery for $50.50 (shipped) and it fits in the stock battery box without the need to modify it:

I've had the UB12180 - 270 CCA 18 Ah AGM in my max for over 7 years now and it works great as well.

Mine is very similar. I went with this one because I prefer the terminal design. Cold cranking amps weren't stated, but my Vmax loves the battery.

Well tuned, synced carbs, and a little baby Shorei, I was leaving the house with the bike outside overnight. 29 degrees nighttime low 54 for the high in Feb. Fired the heck up every time!!!

Attachments

• 052113100348.jpg
    052113100348.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 106

I've had the UB12180 - 270 CCA 18 Ah AGM in my max for over 7 years now and it works great as well.

Mine is very similar. I went with this one because I prefer the terminal design. Cold cranking amps weren't stated, but my Vmax loves the battery.

Its the same battery. Look at the reference numbers UB12220 vs CP12220. Only terminals are different.

Dman UB12220 works find it's install in the bike, The UB12180 I use for my 12 volt power tools and back up now. My motor needs a little more push to get the piston to move up down. Both battery gets +++++ pluses by me.

I change my r/r to the R1 08 year, I bought 3 of them off of ebay for $49.99 each. My r/r and stator wiring is not solder spade connectors I like to be able to pull it apart if need to - This just me mind you. My wiring gauge stator 12 r/r to the battery 10g. I change just about all my lights to leds and just did my head light yesterday. With all lights - turn brake front head light and the fan running plus I have 7 extra led lights install on the bike. My volts at idle everything running 14.3

The stock type bulbs pull a lot of amps and tax the r/r's just me mind you...

Mosfets R/R that I no of are - FH020 FH012 FH011 FH010 FH009 FH008
any r/r with the FH in front of the number is a mosfet..

+1, I've got the 22 AH model and it's powerful. Like yours it won't die. Best $56 I ever spent, with shipping.

Dman UB12220 works find it's install in the bike, The UB12180 I use for my 12 volt power tools and back up now. My motor needs a little more push to get the piston to move up down. Both battery gets +++++ pluses by me.

I change my r/r to the R1 08 year, I bought 3 of them off of ebay for $49.99 each. My r/r and stator wiring is not solder spade connectors I like to be able to pull it apart if need to - This just me mind you. My wiring gauge stator 12 r/r to the battery 10g. I change just about all my lights to leds and just did my head light yesterday. With all lights - turn brake front head light and the fan running plus I have 7 extra led lights install on the bike. My volts at idle everything running 14.3

The stock type bulbs pull a lot of amps and tax the r/r's just me mind you...

Mosfets R/R that I no of are - FH020 FH012 FH011 FH010 FH009 FH008
any r/r with the FH in front of the number is a mosfet..

Nice. Hey I have an 08' R1 R/R here, how did you wire it up to your vmax?

+1, I've got the 22 AH model and it's powerful. Like yours it won't die. Best $56 I ever spent, with shipping.

Only issue there is it's made in china. Besides that, it looks like it has great specs. It wasn't listed in the product catalogs from my local parts shop so I never saw it. If it holds up well over time, it seems pretty good. I wonder if there is an American made equivalent?

Only issue there is it's made in china. Besides that, it looks like it has great specs. It wasn't listed in the product catalogs from my local parts shop so I never saw it. If it holds up well over time, it seems pretty good. I wonder if there is an American made equivalent?

"Universal Power Group is a Dallas, Texas based manufacturer and distributor of OEM, ODM and high quality branded battery and power products. They manufacture products for well known brands including ADT, RadioShack, Pride Mobility and Cabela's."

My UPG UB12180 is currently 7 years old and still going strong.

40696.jpg

^ I was just quoting what they say on their website.
But, Apparently they manufacture their batteries in China. :D

Either way, my UB12180 and the UB12220 are still Great Batteries for the Vmax.

Last edited:

^ I was just quoting what they say on their website.
But, Apparently they just buy Chinese batteries and resell them. :D

Either way, my UB12180 and the UB12220 are still Great Batteries for the Vmax.

For sure. The specs look amazing though. Wish I had seen it before buying the one I did- however, my new battery does work very well in my opinion, so either one will be a huge improvement over stock! Lots of good added info here :punk:

Nice. Hey I have an 08' R1 R/R here, how did you wire it up to your vmax?

R/R info wiring

Attachments

• FH012AAWIRING1.jpg
    FH012AAWIRING1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 56
  • vmax rr.gif
    vmax rr.gif
    19.9 KB · Views: 58
  • vmax rr (1).jpg
    vmax rr (1).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 59
  • vmax rr (5).jpg
    vmax rr (5).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 57

For sure. The specs look amazing though. Wish I had seen it before buying the one I did- however, my new battery does work very well in my opinion, so either one will be a huge improvement over stock! Lots of good added info here :punk:

I have both battery's Dman turn me on to them 2 years ago...

I got lucky $46.00 including the shipping I just receive 12220 few days ago...

very good battery.

I put a chrome battery in my 85 just 2 weeks ago. $55. Fit right in with Morley's big battery box mod. This is the 1st time i've installed a maintenance free battery in the 85, I hope it lasts as long as the last oversized lead acid type I took out. It had over 6yrs on it, but remembering to check it's fluid levels was always a PITA.
Http://www.chromebattery.com/y50-n18l-a3-high-performance-power-sports-battery.html

I put a chrome battery in my 85 just 2 weeks ago. $55. Fit right in with Morley's big battery box mod. This is the 1st time i've installed a maintenance free battery in the 85, I hope it lasts as long as the last oversized lead acid type I took out. It had over 6yrs on it, but remembering to check it's fluid levels was always a PITA.
Http://www.chromebattery.com/y50-n18l-a3-high-performance-power-sports-battery.html

Another good option !

Latest posts

Back