paint the cylinders and valve covers?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlon

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a small question.

I have some small bald spots on the valve covers and cylinders. Can I use just normal shiny paint or should I have to use Heat-resistant paint which always has a matte finish? The cylinders are shiny at the moment.:ummm:

Greetzzzz

Pictures would help but you definetly want engine paint.. rustoleum sold at autozone is good for touch up.. just make sure all grease/oil is cleaned off

On my heads, which are matt in 89 I used a black matt heat paint, Applied it with a paint brush cut down to 1 inch to control splatter. Foam brushes work too. Lasted 2 seasons, but I didn't put a lot of time in to it. Clean is the key. I taped off what I could and stood by with a thinner soaked rag. Came out ok.

Suppose it depends on what you mean by 'ordinary paint.
How you do it will also depend on how bad the 'balud' spots are and how fussy you are about the finish.
It will take a lot more time and effort to achieving a finish that is undetectable from OE.
Suggest that you use a paint intended to. e used on hot components and as already suggested make sure the area you intend to paint is free of any oil and the like and loose paint. You may also wish to feather the edges.
However, to get a job that lasts it would be better to take the affected components off the bike and re-spay all of it.

well I'f gave it a try........

With black shiny paint just from the hardware store petrol based with a very small paint brush. And I must say (for the moment) I'm realy happy with the result.

I run the engine so it was hand warm.
I cleaned it with a powerfull industrial decreaser and took the loose paint off.
Than the paint diluted with 10% petrol.
I only painted the cylinderheads and in between the cylinder ribs.

did not use any masking tape.
See result pictures.
I just hope it stays on for a while.
I did drive this evening (in Holland) already for some miles and it still looks oke and is still on....:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• WP_000345.jpg
    WP_000345.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 125
  • WP_000346.jpg
    WP_000346.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 118
  • WP_000351.jpg
    WP_000351.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 118
  • WP_000352.jpg
    WP_000352.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 105
  • WP_000354.jpg
    WP_000354.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 101
Hi mr. maxmidnight

The thinner I used is not Petrol actualy but (as we call it in Holland) Petroleum or terpentine. It's not a "Thinner" based paint.

How has this paint held up? You did it back in May, have you seen it "chip" or wear off yet? I am looking to paint as well but don't want to basically tear the bike down to paint with spray paint.

Latest posts

Back