Painting aluminum parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I used my glass bead cabinet & an air grinder wire wheel to buzz-off lifted clear coat from a pair of scoops & the eyebrow holding the front turn signals over the headlamp. I hit the pieces a bit w/a stationary buffing wheel & washed them w/detergent, & let them dry. Sorry the pics aren't better, it's late in the day. I used Martin Senour paint which has aluminum in it. The finish I would say is a matte finish. Looking much-better than they did!20181205_170429.jpg 20181205_170436.jpg 20181205_170455.jpg 20181205_172500.jpg 20181205_172513.jpg

They look great Phil. I like that brushed aluminum look.

For the minimal $ invested, I got good results. I'm interested to see how hard the paint dries. I've stuck stuff in the oven at maybe 120 degrees F but our Wolf doesn't seem to go to 120, it will go to 110 degrees F which my baker wife said is to allow dough to rise.

I probably will allow the paint to dry 48 hours before trying to do any assembly, and I think in the interests of matrimonial harmony, I won't use this oven for paint curing.

I'm going to go into the inventory and see what-else I can refinish quickly.

Looks nice, and on the cheap too!

The preparation for the spray always takes more-time than the painting. Then again, when you're in the Yew-Pee and it's snow on the ground, you have plenty of time to help get stuff done like that. That's assuming you aren't outside on a powered sled, zipping-around.

I used Harbor Freight (HFT) brass-bristle brushes that come in a bubble pack for a variety of configurations and sizes, to clean the nooks and crannies, like the corners of where the steel mesh sits, in the 'mouth' of the scoop. Wear your eye protection when using these with your Dremel or other small rotary tool, as the bristles shed readily. The Dremel accessories last longer than the HFT ones, but are much more expensive. I keep some of the 20% off coupons in the truck, and if I drive-by a HFT, I'll stop-in and buy another set of brushes, I think it averages out to $1/brush. Here's the stainless steel set: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-stainless-steel-wheel-and-brush-set-66129.html

The nearest HF is 1.5 hours away in troll land, but I travel to see family several times a year and will be doing so in a couple weeks. Going to GR and possibly to mid Indiana to look at a Super Tenere, planning some much anticipated long trips in the future.

The nearest HF is 1.5 hours away in troll land, but I travel to see family several times a year and will be doing so in a couple weeks. Going to GR and possibly to mid Indiana to look at a Super Tenere, planning some much anticipated long trips in the future.

The Tenere looks like a competent, cost-effective ride for the long haul. I would feel bad about tearing up a BMW GS1250, the Tenere not so-much.

Grand Rapids isn't far from where I lived, down by the Gilmore Car Museum. If you've never visited, it's worth the trip. Open year-round. https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/ The family, when they were into auto racing, sponsored Gordon Johncock and AJ Foyt, winners of five Indy 500's between them.

Back