Painting Aluminum Wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mud_shark86

Reaction score
I've hated the aluminum wheels on my max since I bought it. You can't clean them, polish them or even make them look half decent..I've tried every kind of polish I can find and still can't make them look nice. And I'm not liking the thought of polishing aluminum everytime I wipe the bike down even if I did get them polished like chrome. Theres just too many nooks and crannys. Im thinking of painting them black or metallic charcoal. Would the paint stick? Any prep work to the aluminum needed other than the usual? Figured I'd try it this winter while the bikes sitting in the garage. I was thinking rattle can :S and lots of clear...I dont know I really like the 06's with the black wheels and the red pinstripe..Anything but dirty oxidised aluminum! Thanks for any insight!

I'm a fan of powdercoating. The coater does the prep (beadblasting) so no prep work for me. :eusa_dance: Plus you have a multitude of color choices. I did use gloss black though.

what about chrome? i can give you a wicked deal on a rear rim that has been chromed by chromemasters... no more polishing :eusa_dance:

First off, Dang Rusty! I begged and groveled this site for a set of red stripes for over a year and never got a set. I ended up having to pay Ebay prices for them individually. Second, there should be no thought other than powdercoating due to it's wearability, ease in cleaning, and resistance to tire changing damage. Lastly, I have a near new rear red stripe wheel for sale if your interested.

better not listen to garrett too much, i did and now i have a serious p/c problem.... if i could dip my bike in the stuff i would THANKS AGAIN GARRETT!!!!!!!

wait til i get all the stuff done over winter if i can afford it, gonna look great :punk:

i'll show you at BR2011.... you'll be there eh? who else is coming to BR2011???

I've had decent luck with Duplicolor's adhesion promotor and rustoleum satin black on my '06. I did the flyscreen, the backrest and the caseguards and it's holding up well. the satin black is a good match on my 06 and everything looks right "blacked out". The adhesion promoter holds on aluminum as well as chrome and i've used it on my old FLH with a metallic metalcast anodized paint on the air cleaner and risers. The paint is easy to touch up if you get a nick or chip and it is dirt cheap to get nice results if you take your time. notso

you polished it like chrome......?MAN CHROME IT . i am a fun of powder coating too. but when it comes to wheels....... IT IS JUST CHROME. the bike looks biggers . it have more muscle looks on a v-max. i have chromes my wheels all engine covers clutch transmitions scoops carbs cover ...everything....

First off, Dang Rusty! I begged and groveled this site for a set of red stripes for over a year and never got a set. I ended up having to pay Ebay prices for them individually. Second, there should be no thought other than powdercoating due to it's wearability, ease in cleaning, and resistance to tire changing damage. Lastly, I have a near new rear red stripe wheel for sale if your interested.
I went to the VMOA buy sell swap & posted. looking for black wheels off 06-07.I had beautiful, like new red stripe wheels at my door a week later.The seller was one of us,so he gave me a good deal.:worthy:
Guess I got lucky with a privet seller over E-Bay... No, sorry Pat.Hopefully I won't be needing wheels for a long time.But ya never know.:ummm:

I'll check and see what it's going to cost to powder coat the wheels...I'd like something like a gunmetal or metallic black. Not sure yet. I have black chrome pipes and the carbon fibre body pieces. So I think something black would look good. I'd like to black some more of the bike out and have the scoops polished with the black yamaha letters...

If it's just too much money to power coat, I'll try painting them myself...The worst that can happen is that is all chips off next summer...I;d even like to spend $100 bucks to see if I actually like the black wheels before paying big time for powder coat...Thanks for all the responses!

"I've hated the aluminum wheels on my max since I bought it. You can't clean them, polish them or even make them look half decent..I've tried every kind of polish I can find and still can't make them look nice. And I'm not liking the thought of polishing aluminum everytime I wipe the bike down even if I did get them polished like chrome. Theres just too many nooks and crannys. Im thinking of painting them black or metallic charcoal. Would the paint stick? Any prep work to the aluminum needed other than the usual? Figured I'd try it this winter while the bikes sitting in the garage. I was thinking rattle can :S and lots of clear...I dont know I really like the 06's with the black wheels and the red pinstripe..Anything but dirty oxidised aluminum! Thanks for any insight"
I agree with most replies so far, powder coating will provide the most durable finish, but if you want to try painting..... the wheels on my '03 have a smooth finish on the outer diameter only(the tire bead area), the rest of the hub and the webs have a serrated texture. I originally wanted to polish all of the wheel surface, but removing the serrated surface(by filing, wet sanding, whatever), would have been too time consuming. Consequently, I only polished the outer diameter.
The rest of the wheel surface was painted by spray bomb, loaded with automotive paint, the same as was used on the bodywork of the bike(in this case, Mazda 16W, a mettalic gloss black). Most auto supply shops provide the spray bomb service.
For the prep, I used an automotive degreaser and cleaner, followed by a good quality automotive matt black primer. Then several light coats of the top coat were put on, with the masked wheel laying horizontal on the floor. After waiting a few weeks for the paint to fully cure, I used rubbing and polishing compound to smooth it out, and then used wax to protect it.
I emphasize the word automotive. The best results are obtained by used the best supplies, such as the paints, primers and preps only available at auto stores, not Walmart or Zellers. Plus the advice at the auto shops is A-1
I am pleased with the results. The painted was done four years ago, and no chipping or flaking has occurred. I believe the serrated surface helped with the adhesion of the paint. Unless your wheels are the same design, (with the rough surface), I would go the powdercoating route.
Cheers, Miles

I got laid off at work today...Powder coat is now pretty much out of the question...If I could, I would...

I have a 97 with 4000 miles.. Factory Black wheels with no chips I can see. If you wanted to swap/I hate the black... I'm old & like polished aluminum & have the time to maintain them. I don't know where PEI is but if we wee in comuteable distance, I'd trade ya... or anyone else in Eastern Upstate NY... Course I just bought this bike.. Haven't thrown a leg over in 20 years, I'd need some tech help with getting a rear wheel off of a bike with one of these new fangled shaft drives...

I got laid off at work today...Powder coat is now pretty much out of the question...If I could, I would...

powder is a lot of times just as cheap...

I have a 97 with 4000 miles.. Factory Black wheels with no chips I can see. If you wanted to swap/I hate the black... I'm old & like polished aluminum & have the time to maintain them. I don't know where PEI is but if we wee in comuteable distance, I'd trade ya... or anyone else in Eastern Upstate NY... Course I just bought this bike.. Haven't thrown a leg over in 20 years, I'd need some tech help with getting a rear wheel off of a bike with one of these new fangled shaft drives...

really good deal. also if you need a hand let us locals know we coudl stop by

For White or black ( sometimes Almond but hard to find..) a different idea may be looking in WalMarts or Home Depot. They carry Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance paint in rattle cans. Rustoleum recommends no primers/that would put something soft under the paint. The paint goes on THICK & appears to be self leveling/covers blemishes & drys HARD & WICKED nice shine. I used it on my metal entry doors on the new house. Been on the south door facing the sun & elements for 6 years now & shines like a new white refrigerator & ....no chips, the stuff dries HARD...

I used automotive wheel paint on my 86 vfr 2 years ago and the wheels still look like new, the wheel paint works well on clutch and master cylinders.i just got an 85 max and going over it and i will use duplicolor wheel paint on the master cylinders,changed the wheels to 93 max wheels because i like the look.
The wheel paint holds up very well.

Gary

Back