painting and polishing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nd4topspd

Reaction score
Thought I would share some pics of my pieces I'm painting and polishing:eusa_dance: still have more to do like front forks

Attachments

• cleaning 007.jpg
    cleaning 007.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 74
Nice job.
Im about to prep my swing arm for paint as well, how did you prep it? Sanding, sandblasting, just clean it good? just wondering.

Ah, the recent memories! I eliminated some future polishing by powdercoating, but still have some as I like the look of polished parts. I need to invest in a proper wheel which would take a lot of work out of it. Nice job on your polishing and paint work. Baking the paint on makes it so much nicer (helps to cover some of my painting gaffs) and durable. Painting the scoop letters and then baking it works wonders, the first time I did it I didn't use enough paint and it looked crappy. The second time I did it I had a lttle trouble with a couple letters but the oven made it look much better.

I have access to a good size bead blaster at work so I took it clear down to the metal then I used PlastiKote grey primer putting on 3 coats no sanding followed by PlastiKote Premium Enamel 3 more coats of gloss Black. Then I put it in my oven on low(175)for 3 hrs then just let it cool before removing it and wallaaa It came out Sweet!!!

Hey guys I told a guy I work with how I did the cooking in my oven and he told me I was very lucky I didn't blow up my house. I have a gas oven and he said the fumes off the paint can cause an explosion. Has anybody heard that before? Did I just escape a big oops?? He said it's fine in an electric stove but not a gas stove:ummm:

i would have said the same thing! not sure if its based on anything but i sure wouldn't put rattle can paint in a gas stove

To find out how volatile your paint is, hold a lighter (lit) away from your body while spraying your paint through the flame. If it lights, you are lucky you didn't hear a boom. If it does not, no big deal. :confused2:

edit:

Oh, and do this experiment outside, well away from all structures.

Gas ovens for curing paint or powdercoat are a big NO NO:angry flame devil::stretche:

sorry to take so long to reply but I've been really busy counting my lucky stars:surprise::stickyman::whistlin::angry flame::th_image003:I'm Alive!!!

+1 on the powdercoating. No need to wax, impervious to just about everything, stays glossy. My local posse call me "powdercoat guy" behind my back and amongst each other for the obvious reason. With the choice of colors, quick turn around and wear characteristics, one can't beat PC parts. Plus I am selling PC swing arms in the classifieds! Patmax

i agree with your ideas on powdercoating. now that i've found a guy wicked close and does great work and inexpensive i'm hooked..

+1 on the powdercoating. No need to wax, impervious to just about everything, stays glossy. My local posse call me "powdercoat guy" behind my back and amongst each other for the obvious reason. With the choice of colors, quick turn around and wear characteristics, one can't beat PC parts. Plus I am selling PC swing arms in the classifieds! Patmax

i agree with your ideas on powdercoating. now that i've found a guy wicked close and does great work and inexpensive i'm hooked..
Double up on the +1's!

I found a what seems to be a good PCing place in town but Im doing this over haul on a nonexistent budget. 40-80$ in paint or 220+ for PC frame not including the swingarm. So the homemade 4'x5' sandblasting both will surfice. Good info though, thanks. Looks good, hope I can match it.

Those of you that like to rattle can stuff I sugest trying dupli-color's Caliper paint. It cures hard and resists many harsh things and looks like PC. Has a real deep gloss black too. Who said it should only be used on calipers.

Good to know, but for this job of frame and swingarm Im going with Automotive paint. $40 for strait colors or $80 for mixed, a pint that is.

Back