Painting Sketched Aluminium

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
I purchased 2 used Aluminium "Toxic" Covers about 3 or so inches in diameter. I think one is a Water Pump cover. You will notice a Toxic Symbol Etched into the surface.

Is it possible to color the etching, and leaving the rest of the aluminium surface Face as is???

Thanks guys,

KarmaKatt

Attachments

• 20140203_195023.jpg
    20140203_195023.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 37
Get a pinstripe brush and have a go yourself?

0510mt_06_z%2Bcustom_pinstriping_designs%2Bholding_brush_properly.jpg

I used a touch-up paint pen on mine...from a distance looks good, up close looks like shit :confused2:

I have a friend who spent many years finishing furniture and the like and he said the only way to do it properly is to have a dye laid in and baked in. Other wise, voilà, looks like shit...

I used a toothpick to paint some scoop letters and the edges came out nice and clean....dip the toothpick point in the paint and 'tap' it along the etching filling the recess. That looks like pretty fine etching but it might be worth a try, it's easily removed if it doesn't work.

Aside from color, is there prep work or a finisher that should be applied??

I'll hit it with powder & wipe it away leaving the recessed area filed, then bake...tried to take a quickie approach...

I color fill on guns all the time. I use nail Polish to fill it all in then use non acetone nail polish remover on a flat rag and gently wipe across it flipping rag so not to distribute the removed paint back on till it's all clean then buff. Works great lasts a long time and cheap.

I've got D3 Grips, Red on Blk as well as Braided Blk Galfers w/Red Banjos and Red Samco Hoses.
I think the nail polish with a toothpick may do for now. I'll be sure to wipe away the over splash with Acetone and a rag and maybe ear swabs. I actually have some left over with points on them, not the round ones....

I'll post some pics after...

Thanks all!!

KarmaKatt

The depth of the engraving is not very deep as I'd be concerned it'd be more of a hinderence wiping the powder out of the etch....

Can I simply put these pieces in the oven in my kitchen?
What about trying a permanent felt-tipped marker? I think they use a type of ink. Available in very narrow tips - if applied carefully, wiping may not be required.
Another option is "paint markers". Available in many colors, but I'm not sure if they come in different tip sizes. Used in welding and metal-working shops.

About that oven thing - have a good overhead exhaust fan, and make sure your wife/girlfriend is out of the house, not due back for a few hours.
Don't ask me why I say this.
Cheers!:clapping:

Thanks for all these ideas guys.. Even a marker may work, lol!!

Often the simplest things are overlooked...

I'll let you know how it turns out!!

KarmaKatt

If you go the PC route don't use your kitchen oven...buy a cheap countertop and bake it in there. For this type of a project you don't even need a PC gun...just spoon it on and brush off the excess...a lb of PC is only like $15 max

Back