Painting the Engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Because my 98 sit outside for a long time, the black is faded on the engine and elsewhere. I purchased gloss black Rustoleum Engine Paint in a spray can and thought I would use it to tidy up the paint.

Has anyone done what I am going to do or is there an article somewhere with pictures on doing it. I will mask and tape and do the painting without really taking too much off the bike. Thanks.

A second question is does anyone know where to buy the decal, or is it even available, of YAMAHA that appears on the back fender?

Because my 98 sit outside for a long time, the black is faded on the engine and elsewhere. I purchased gloss black Rustoleum Engine Paint in a spray can and thought I would use it to tidy up the paint.

Has anyone done what I am going to do or is there an article somewhere with pictures on doing it. I will mask and tape and do the painting without really taking too much off the bike. Thanks.
I like the epoxy black appliance paint from ACE hardware on the engine. It holds up great. It's glossy though, and dirt shows up easy. Credit to Alorio. Joe posted or messaged me about it and it's durable.

A second question is does anyone know where to buy the decal, or is it even available, of YAMAHA that appears on the back fender?

The dealer.
SKU: 99247-00080-00​
EMBLEM, YAMAHA

I like the epoxy black appliance paint from ACE hardware on the engine. It holds up great. It's glossy though, and dirt shows up easy. Credit to Alorio. Joe posted or messaged me about it and it's durable.

I used Rustoleum appliance epoxy on my tank. Curious to see how it holds up. Its been 5 days and the thing is still putting off paint fumes. Figured I'd let it sit for a week or more before I bolt it in.

The dealer.
SKU: 99247-00080-00
EMBLEM, YAMAHA

I used Rustoleum appliance epoxy on my tank. Curious to see how it holds up. Its been 5 days and the thing is still putting off paint fumes. Figured I'd let it sit for a week or more before I bolt it in.

I think a warm spot will help out Mike. I guess in the house would be a no no, unless the wifes away?
rofl_200.gif
My wife could smell that paint curing from Massachusetts.
Steve-o

i wonder how epoxy paint then a couple coats of flat clear could work to give it that flat look again if thats whats interesting.

I used the Rustoleum appliance epoxy white on-an appliance! It cured within an hour good enough to handle. Yes, show it some warmth. I would hate to have something ignite, but maybe a space heater to raise the ambient temp w/o being an ignition hazard because of any hydrocarbons in the pigment as carrying agent becoming too-hot?

What is it like spraying with the epoxy appliance spray paint? Is it like regular Krylon spray paint? Does it go on thick so you have to be careful or does it go on light so you have to go over it again after a little while, over and over to lay on coat? JUst wondering.

Thanks for the decal info. Wonder what color the decal comes in. Have a black fender so silver or gray would work great.

The P/N I posted should be a silver sticker as used on '06-'07 bikes.

The rustoleum appliance epoxy covers really well. Best to spray multiple light coats as with most rattle cans. You don't wait long between coats. Just a couple mins.

Attachments

• 2012-01-09_12-28-28_624.jpg
    2012-01-09_12-28-28_624.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2012-01-09_08-27-50_886.jpg
    2012-01-09_08-27-50_886.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back