Painting vinyl?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
I am looking to paint a pair of speakers (Mordaunt Short MS908) and am wondering what is the best paint to use.

These are not finished in veneers (so woodstain cannot be use but are :A full three-way design, the enclosure proper is available covered in either black or maple vinyl woodprint, though the main focus of the cosmetics is clearly that silver front section.

What paint will stick to the vinyl and be durable so as not to come off easily?

My research shows that acrylic paint is suitable but I've never used that (seems to be what artists used for paintings) but I thought that would be easily scratched off. It does not need to be flexible as the cabinets are solid.
Ideally the paint is supplied in bottles so I can use my spraying equipment rather than pay extra for it in cans.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect these speakers will be relatively stationary upon completion. What about using a heat gun to remove the vinyl, and then painting the base material? If it's wood, that should be easy to finish as you like. If they're metal, like those small die-cast speakers, also easy to paint. Get rid of the vinyl.

What about spray vinyl? Vinyl Wrap (rustoleum.com)

That's a novel suggestion.

I expect the cabinets are MDF or similar wood based composite and it is quite likely the vinyl covers imperfections in the surface that would require filling and sanding and painting so more time and effort.

I have used a flexible paint (plastic dip brand) in the past (for recolouring battery leads in an old land rover) but that remains soft and slightly tacky so not sure that is suitable.

My main painting experience is cellulose onto metal but my gut tells me that won't stick.

Luckily the base is covered by the same stuff so I can try out different paints.

Vinyl wrap is another option that has been suggested, never used that.

Since it's vinyl would a good scuff with some 400 or a red Scothbrite followed with an adhesion promoter work? I'll defer to the guys who actually spray things as they'd know far better than me.

That's a novel suggestion.

I expect the cabinets are MDF or similar wood based composite and it is quite likely the vinyl covers imperfections in the surface that would require filling and sanding and painting so more time and effort.

I have used a flexible paint (plastic dip brand) in the past (for recolouring battery leads in an old land rover) but that remains soft and slightly tacky so not sure that is suitable.

My main painting experience is cellulose onto metal but my gut tells me that won't stick.

Luckily the base is covered by the same stuff so I can try out different paints.

Vinyl wrap is another option that has been suggested, never used that.
Halfords sell spray paints suitable for plastics, it works well. But i had a mate that done allot if spray painting and used a style of building up incompatible surfaces using what is known as a haze coats.

Back