Park Tool Evaluation: Steering Bearing Race Installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 V-Max Rider

Reaction score
After years of installing bearing races using a bearing driver and hammer, only to end up with cocked [lower] bearing races and burrs inside the steering head, I decided to invest in the following tools:

Park Tool HHP-2 Headset Press.
Park Tool CRS-2M Steering Stem Bearing Installer

I removed everything necessary to remove the races. I won't get into race removal, but rather installation since that's the premise of this thread.

006-63783362.jpg

Now for the Park Tool HHP-2 Headset Press.

007-91078923.jpg

Unfortunately, the handle on the HHP-2 press proved to be a problem. There's not enough clearance to turn the handle without interfering with the both the radiator and dash assembly. Rather than return the tool, I decided to modify it to work on the V-Max without compromising the tool.

008-55835562.jpg

The bearing cups fit the V-Max races perfectly. Here I simply did away with the obstructive handle. I went to Lowe's a bought the pieces shown above to make this tool work (minus the bearing driver).

Before installing the tool, I gently tapped the races flush with the steering stem to ensure that they'd be pulled in straight. After having done that, I installed the tool as shown below to install the lower race. Before cranking on the nut (using a 15/16" wrench) I made sure everything was properly centered.

009-5695968.jpg

Repeat for the top race (you will be able to feel when the races seat):

012-26466035.jpg

Below, I used the Park Tool CRS-2M Steering Stem Bearing Installer:

013-66226468.jpg

Do the tools work? Yes, but as noted, the HHP-2 Headset Press will have to be slightly modified for the V-Max, and can be done so without compromising the tool. The tool is adjustable and installs and removes in seconds courtesy of a spring-loaded locking mechanism.

The
CRS-2M Steering Stem Bearing Installer has attachments to accommodate various lower bearing races. The set comes with an adapter that fits the V-Max lower steering stem bearing perfectly.

These tools can be found online at varying prices. Figure to spend somewhere in the $220.00 neighborhood.

Are the tools worth the expense? That depends on your budget. The tools make the job much easier and give you the satisfaction of knowing the job is done right. That alone makes the tools worth the expense to me. Additionally, if one considers what the dealer gets to do this job, you can purchase the tools and still be ahead of the game.

Thanks for posting this, I know that I will definitely have to do this in the future, and so now there is something to make the job easier.

Very nice tool....nice clean, organized shop too! Couldn't help notice your attention to detail, like the shop rags to keep the jack stands from scratching the crash bars....nice! :clapping:

Nice write up and pictures, how/ what did you use to remove the old parts?
Nice looking shop, is that Race Deck flooring? Park Tools are very nice stuff, I have a couple of them to work on my Mt. bike and I still use the allen wrench that has 3 tips on it (6/8/10mm) that looks something like this: http://www.parktool.com/product/50th-anniversary-3-way-hex-wrench-AWS-50
I want to get a set of their P handle allen wrenches.

I have lots of Park Tools for working on my old-school Klein Attitude off-road racer, they are well-built. I have used that very tool on my bicycles, but always just went to my friend's shop & borrowed his.

I thought about how to do the same thing much cheaper. Since you are just using the tool to push-down the bearing driver, next time I have to do a head bearing, I am just gonna use my HFT bearing driver set and a short piece of all-thread. You can throw a length of 1/2" or 3/4" i.d. water pipe as needed to space the nut above your bodywork if needed. Hardware stores sell all-thread in 4' lengths, get yourself a few nuts (double-nut the bottom/top, depending on which cup you're driving) & flat washers, and visit Harbor Freight for this, on-sale $30 now.
Might as-well get this set, too, < $20!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=bearing+driver

Keep $175 in your pocket!

Notice! Stop reading right-now!
Save your $$! Do not read beyond this point!!!
Don't say I didn't warn you. :confused2::bang head:

Pit Posse in FL has a nice bearing driver for wheels, one of those slotted ones that maked wheel bearing removal and installation so-much easier!
http://pitposse.com/ If you have never visited their site, don't! It's run by the Ancient Hibernian Order of Mod Monkeys, and before you know it, dollars have moved from your pocket, to theirs!
Posse Wheel Bearing Remover Set

Wheel bearing driver set $60:<!-- item-details-6 --><!-- /item-details-6 -->
Driving wheel bearings out without damaging an expensive wheel can be quite a hair pulling task. Fortunately, this set makes the job almost effortless. It works on virtually any size wheel bearing on both motorcycles and atv?s. Safe and easy. Will fit most bikes and atv?s
The set consist of 7 removers 25mm, 20mm, 19mm, 17mm, 15mm, 12mm and 10mm & 2 rods to fit all bearing sizes with storage case. Each remover has a tapered end so part of the remover will slip inside the bearing. How it works: simply put the proper size remover in the bearing, then flip wheel & bearing over so the remover is against the floor, take the rod tool insert into remover and tap firmly into place (the remover has a slot in it for the rod tool to slide into ) once you have the rod firmly in place simply lift the wheel and bearing off the ground and tap again until the bearing falls out. When the remover is against the ground and taped on, the remover is spread apart tight against the bearing, then when you lift off the ground and tap, it pushes the bearing out of the race. You will be able to remove bearings in seconds with this tool.

• New sizes now available
  • 22 mm known fitments some YZ450F rears
  • 28 mm known fitment GSXR 600, 750, 1000 02-08' rears
  • 30mm some R1 rears, KTM 125cc & up 03-08' fronts, Buell XB12X most
  • 32 mm known fitment some GSXR'S rears
  • pitposse_2242_63320159
  • I bought one of these and it paid for itself the 1st time I used it.
They also carry Park Tools:<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=171 align=center>
<!--pic--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=154 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f2f2f2><TD width=13>
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD bgColor=#bdbdbd width=128><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=97 width=128 align=center><!-- /item-details-1 -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=13>
t-pixel.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
g-pixel6.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=154 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f2f2f2><TD>
g-pixel6.gif

</TD><TD align=right>
g-pixel6.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--price--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=154 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f2f2f2><TD width=12>
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD width=130 align=center>
t-pixel.gif

<INPUT class=tex3 readOnly size=6 value=$84.95 name=pricetxt><!-- item-details-4 -->
t-pixel.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#848484><TD height=31 width=29 align=right>
t-pixel.gif

Qty:
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD width=30>
t-pixel.gif

<INPUT class=tex2 style="WIDTH: 25px" size=1 value=1 name=vwquantity0>
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD width=69><INPUT height=19 alt=Order src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/pitposse/order.gif" type=image width=57 border=0>

t-pixel.gif

<!-- /item-details-4 -->

</TD><TD width=12>
t-pixel.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--/price-->

</TD><!-- item-details-5 --><TD vAlign=top width="100%">
t-pixel.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" background="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=29><!-- /item-deails-5 -->Park Tool Steering Tube Bearing Installer <!-- item-details-6 -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /item-details-6 -->The CRS-2M offers a new, safe approach to lower bearing installation. This unique system utilizes specially designed, aluminum inserts to quickly and accurately install nearly any lower bearing. Simply choose the correct insert, slide the setting driver over the steering tube and tap the bearing into place with a hammer, avoiding any risk of damage. The CRS-2M includes four specially shaped aluminum inserts (1? and 1-1/8?) and a heat-treated, universal setting driver.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" background="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#4d4d4d><TD>
t-pixel.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=14></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Part #: CRS2M

And if you want the Park tool described in this thread, they have it for less!
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=171 align=center>
g-pixel6.gif

<!--pic--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=154 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f2f2f2><TD width=13>
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD bgColor=#bdbdbd width=128><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff height=97 width=128 align=center><!-- /item-details-1 -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=13>
t-pixel.gif

g-pixel6.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=154 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f2f2f2><TD>
g-pixel6.gif

</TD><TD align=right>
g-pixel6.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--price--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=154 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#f2f2f2><TD width=12>
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD width=130 align=center>
t-pixel.gif

<INPUT class=tex3 readOnly size=6 value=$199.95 name=pricetxt><!-- item-details-4 -->
t-pixel.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=128 background="" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#848484><TD height=31 width=29 align=right>
t-pixel.gif

Qty:
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD width=30>
t-pixel.gif

<INPUT class=tex2 style="WIDTH: 25px" size=1 value=1 name=vwquantity0>
t-pixel.gif

</TD><TD width=69><INPUT height=19 alt=Order src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/pitposse/order.gif" type=image width=57 border=0>

t-pixel.gif

<!-- /item-details-4 -->

</TD><TD width=12>
t-pixel.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--/price-->

</TD><!-- item-details-5 --><TD vAlign=top width="100%">
t-pixel.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" background="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=29><!-- /item-deails-5 -->Park Tool Steering Race Press <!-- item-details-6 -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /item-details-6 -->The Park Tool HHP-2M easily and accurately presses steering had tube races, eliminating damaged, or misaligned bearing races and holps prevent dented and chipped frames. Our unique design permits quick tool installation and release after races are seated. The heat-treated bushings (included) provide a precise fit and alignment for most brands.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" background="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#4d4d4d><TD>
t-pixel.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=14></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Part #: HHP2M

Nice write up and pictures, how/ what did you use to remove the old parts?
Nice looking shop, is that Race Deck flooring? Park Tools are very nice stuff, I have a couple of them to work on my Mt. bike and I still use the allen wrench that has 3 tips on it (6/8/10mm) that looks something like this: http://www.parktool.com/product/50th-anniversary-3-way-hex-wrench-AWS-50
I want to get a set of their P handle allen wrenches.

The one tool I used, I didn't show, and that is the Park Tool RT-1 Steering Bearing Race remover. It worked great on the top race. Other than that, no special tools to remove the old parts. I used a Dremel tool and cold chisel to remove the lower bearing race, and a cold chisel to remove the bearing from the steering stem.

21B9u5M0A4L._SX300_.jpg

No race deck flooring. That's a mat I got from a local dealership.

I have lots of Park Tools for working on my old-school Klein Attitude off-road racer, they are well-built. I have used that very tool on my bicycles, but always just went to my friend's shop & borrowed his.

I thought about how to do the same thing much cheaper. Since you are just using the tool to push-down the bearing driver, next time I have to do a head bearing, I am just gonna use my HFT bearing driver set and a short piece of all-thread. You can throw a length of 1/2" or 3/4" i.d. water pipe as needed to space the nut above your bodywork if needed. Hardware stores sell all-thread in 4' lengths, get yourself a few nuts (double-nut the bottom/top, depending on which cup you're driving) & flat washers, and visit Harbor Freight for this, on-sale $30 now.
Might as-well get this set, too, < $20!
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=bearing+driver

Keep $175 in your pocket!

Notice! Stop reading right-now!
Save your $$! Do not read beyond this point!!!
Don't say I didn't warn you. :confused2::bang head:

Pit Posse in FL has a nice bearing driver for wheels, one of those slotted ones that maked wheel bearing removal and installation so-much easier!
http://pitposse.com/ If you have never visited their site, don't! It's run by the Ancient Hibernian Order of Mod Monkeys, and before you know it, dollars have moved from your pocket, to theirs!
Posse Wheel Bearing Remover Set

Wheel bearing driver set $60:<!-- item-details-6 --><!-- /item-details-6 -->
Driving wheel bearings out without damaging an expensive wheel can be quite a hair pulling task. Fortunately, this set makes the job almost effortless. It works on virtually any size wheel bearing on both motorcycles and atv?s. Safe and easy. Will fit most bikes and atv?s
The set consist of 7 removers 25mm, 20mm, 19mm, 17mm, 15mm, 12mm and 10mm & 2 rods to fit all bearing sizes with storage case. Each remover has a tapered end so part of the remover will slip inside the bearing. How it works: simply put the proper size remover in the bearing, then flip wheel & bearing over so the remover is against the floor, take the rod tool insert into remover and tap firmly into place (the remover has a slot in it for the rod tool to slide into ) once you have the rod firmly in place simply lift the wheel and bearing off the ground and tap again until the bearing falls out. When the remover is against the ground and taped on, the remover is spread apart tight against the bearing, then when you lift off the ground and tap, it pushes the bearing out of the race. You will be able to remove bearings in seconds with this tool.

• New sizes now available
  • 22 mm known fitments some YZ450F rears
  • 28 mm known fitment GSXR 600, 750, 1000 02-08' rears
  • 30mm some R1 rears, KTM 125cc & up 03-08' fronts, Buell XB12X most
  • 32 mm known fitment some GSXR'S rears
  • pitposse_2242_63320159
  • I bought one of these and it paid for itself the 1st time I used it.
They also carry Park Tools:<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="171">
<!--pic--><table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="154"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#f2f2f2"><td width="13">
t-pixel.gif

</td><td bgcolor="#bdbdbd" width="128"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="97" width="128"><!-- /item-details-1 -->

</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td width="13">
t-pixel.gif

</td></tr></tbody></table>
g-pixel6.gif

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="154"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#f2f2f2"><td>
g-pixel6.gif

</td><td align="right">
g-pixel6.gif

</td></tr></tbody></table><!--price--><table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="154"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#f2f2f2"><td width="12">
t-pixel.gif

</td><td align="center" width="130">
t-pixel.gif

<input class="tex3" readonly="" size="6" value="$84.95" name="pricetxt"><!-- item-details-4 -->
t-pixel.gif

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="128"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#848484"><td align="right" height="31" width="29">
t-pixel.gif

Qty:
t-pixel.gif

</td><td width="30">
t-pixel.gif

<input class="tex2" style="WIDTH: 25px" size="1" value="1" name="vwquantity0">
t-pixel.gif

</td><td width="69"><input alt="Order" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/pitposse/order.gif" border="0" height="19" type="image" width="57">

t-pixel.gif

<!-- /item-details-4 -->

</td><td width="12">
t-pixel.gif

</td></tr></tbody></table><!--/price-->

</td><!-- item-details-5 --><td valign="top" width="100%">
t-pixel.gif

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="29"><!-- /item-deails-5 -->Park Tool Steering Tube Bearing Installer <!-- item-details-6 -->

</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- /item-details-6 -->The CRS-2M offers a new, safe approach to lower bearing installation. This unique system utilizes specially designed, aluminum inserts to quickly and accurately install nearly any lower bearing. Simply choose the correct insert, slide the setting driver over the steering tube and tap the bearing into place with a hammer, avoiding any risk of damage. The CRS-2M includes four specially shaped aluminum inserts (1? and 1-1/8?) and a heat-treated, universal setting driver.

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="5">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#4d4d4d"><td>
t-pixel.gif

</td></tr><tr><td height="14">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Part #: CRS2M

And if you want the Park tool described in this thread, they have it for less!
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="171">
g-pixel6.gif

<!--pic--><table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="154"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#f2f2f2"><td width="13">
t-pixel.gif

</td><td bgcolor="#bdbdbd" width="128"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" height="97" width="128"><!-- /item-details-1 -->

</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td width="13">
t-pixel.gif

g-pixel6.gif

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="154"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#f2f2f2"><td>
g-pixel6.gif

</td><td align="right">
g-pixel6.gif

</td></tr></tbody></table><!--price--><table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="154"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#f2f2f2"><td width="12">
t-pixel.gif

</td><td align="center" width="130">
t-pixel.gif

<input class="tex3" readonly="" size="6" value="$199.95" name="pricetxt"><!-- item-details-4 -->
t-pixel.gif

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="128"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#848484"><td align="right" height="31" width="29">
t-pixel.gif

Qty:
t-pixel.gif

</td><td width="30">
t-pixel.gif

<input class="tex2" style="WIDTH: 25px" size="1" value="1" name="vwquantity0">
t-pixel.gif

</td><td width="69"><input alt="Order" src="http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/pitposse/order.gif" border="0" height="19" type="image" width="57">

t-pixel.gif

<!-- /item-details-4 -->

</td><td width="12">
t-pixel.gif

</td></tr></tbody></table><!--/price-->

</td><!-- item-details-5 --><td valign="top" width="100%">
t-pixel.gif

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="29"><!-- /item-deails-5 -->Park Tool Steering Race Press <!-- item-details-6 -->

</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- /item-details-6 -->The Park Tool HHP-2M easily and accurately presses steering had tube races, eliminating damaged, or misaligned bearing races and holps prevent dented and chipped frames. Our unique design permits quick tool installation and release after races are seated. The heat-treated bushings (included) provide a precise fit and alignment for most brands.

<table background="" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td height="5">
</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#4d4d4d"><td>
t-pixel.gif

</td></tr><tr><td height="14">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Part #: HHP2M

Here's another alternative to consider for steering bearing race installation:

pitposse_2242_52287432

$ 59.95 from Pit Posse. It may be worth the extra money if the cups fit the races as precisely as the Park Tool Headset Press.

Thanks. This is a great article. I've built a lot of the tools out of pipe, sockets, plumbing pieces, etc. It's nice to have these links, to be able to buy precision tools that will make the job easier. Amazon also has a huge selection of blind bearing pullers, bearing and seal installers, etc.

Very nice tool....nice clean, organized shop too! Couldn't help notice your attention to detail, like the shop rags to keep the jack stands from scratching the crash bars....nice! :clapping:
My garage is more organized than my house. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back