Parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sykus

Reaction score
Hi just bought v max yesterday. It has rear brake disc slightly cracked, What new disc shoiuld i buy ? Original or some other that fits?
Do I need teh frame brace ?
And what do you think about steering dumper ? Someone use it ?

What year VMax? Show us a pic of the crack. Buying new may be the same price as buying one used and shipping to you. See Exactrep in the U.K.

I suggest the damper isn't needed. Ensure your steering head bearings aren't worn or loose. Either/both can affect your steering.

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/new-vmax-owner-faqs-new-members-please-read.21240/

year 1997
head bearings are ok
i don,t want to shippping brake disc, its available in poland. I meant if i need an original or some else (maybe better) that fits., and which one ?
Attached some pic. of disc. Is it original ?
This brake disc is onlny part i need to change everything else looks good

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_192948.jpg
    IMG_20221028_192948.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221028_193003.jpg
    IMG_20221028_193003.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221028_193020.jpg
    IMG_20221028_193020.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221028_193031.jpg
    IMG_20221028_193031.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The rear disk is vented so has yours cracked all the way through? I have in the deep recesses of my mind that they do have something that looks like a crack but isn't (stand to be corrected on that).
Just seen the pics and that is what I was thinking of and seem to think that is normal? Others will comment.
With the disk off the bike if it still 'rings' when you tap it then it may well be serviceable assuming the thickness of it is within limits. Yours look to be near the minimum?
The rear disks are the same as the '85 - '92 fronts so anything that is specified for them would be suitable.

You don't need frame braces but they (or solid mounts) do help the handling. However, they won't help with the iffy suspension so I'd sort the front end (Racetech springs and Gold line emulators) and the rear suspension (your choice of shocker) first.

As Mr Medic says, if the bearings are set up correctly you don't need a steering damper. Save your money and invest in suspension upgrades. See the attachment for some further information.

Attachments

• Improving handling.pdf
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
steering dumper , something like that
The rear disk is vented so has yours cracked all the way through? I have in the deep recesses of my mind that they do have something that looks like a crack but isn't (stand to be corrected on that).
Just seen the pics and that is what I was thinking of and seem to think that is normal? Others will comment.
With the disk off the bike if it still 'rings' when you tap it then it may well be serviceable assuming the thickness of it is within limits. Yours look to be near the minimum?
The rear disks are the same as the '85 - '92 fronts so anything that is specified for them would be suitable.

You don't need frame braces but they (or solid mounts) do help the handling. However, they won't help with the iffy suspension so I'd sort the front end (Racetech springs and Gold line emulators) and the rear suspension (your choice of shocker) first.

As Mr Medic says, if the bearings are set up correctly you don't need a steering damper. Save your money and invest in suspension upgrades. See the attachment for some further information.
yes cracked is all the way through both sides and it is cracked not only seems like.

Attachments

• Steeringdamper.jpg
    Steeringdamper.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 0
Ok, but why on my disc the crack is on the both sides and the edge ?
There are two layers of steel with an inner layer that separates them so that air can pass through for cooling. They are built much like a normal car rotor was done. You should have 3 locations that appear to be cracks per side.

Latest posts

Back