Paying it forward. A positive L.E. experience

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjay

Reaction score
Passing this on as a reminder to all of us to ride safely out there this summer.

I purchased my low mile '06 Max from a Yammy dealer beginning of this year.
Tags expired in 2009... but the dealer provided temp reg. showing all transfers etc. I just didn't have the current 2011 sticker or title. (BTW, it's a beautiful bike!)
Went on a 1,000 mi. ride last week from So. Cal to Nevada & back with 5 friends. Was a little concerned since it had been 3+ months and I was going out of state on expired tags.
(State of CA is broke and is s l o w with any transactions.)
Anyway, we're riding across Death Valley & 3 of us went to pass a vehicle. (2 lane desert) We "bunch up" and pass together which I feel is much safer than 3 menacing passes at different times.
Well, I'm the third, & my luck...coming the other way is an Inyo County sheriff's vehicle. There was still plenty of room between us after my pass however, I scared the hell out of him .
He flipped the lights and pulled a dust flying desert U-turn straight outta "Dukes of Hazzard". He turned right in front of the rest of my gang 1/3 mile back. They watched him reel me in.
He didn't come after us right away, but we slowed to under the speed limit anyway expecting the worst. 5 minutes later he lights me up & I proceed to pull off to accept my fate.
My buddies, God love 'em, kept rolling the speed limit.
The officer was nice and explained how dangerous those desert roads are. He wanted to "scold" all 3 of us, especially the leader since he made the decision to "go".
I was concerned with the expired 2009 tag, unsure if the DMV ever updated me as the current owner.
Well I found out... I AM legally registered & titled. Bittersweet though, hearing L.E. dispatch announce it thru the speaker atop the cruiser.
Long story shortened, the sheriff & I chatted for awhile about the safety of riding, passing etc. (at 55mph you cover like 92 ft/sec plus with the opposing vehicle at 55, add in passing... well you get the picture)
I got schooled! ! ! But didn't get cited. Woo-Hoo!!!
Instead, the sheriff kindly asked me to pass it along to other riders to remind everyone to think & ride safe this summer, while having fun too.

So... 10 miles up the road I find all my buddies waiting for me behind a building in the desert peeking out like "banditos". LOL
I definitely "took one for the team" & would do it again without regret.
Needless to say my drinks were free at the gentlemen's club up the road.
Had a wonderful ride that weekend and came home to find the CA registration & title waiting in the mailbox. Touche'

Mark

Good story . You did the right thing in stopping to take the medicine . I have been pulled many times and gotten off with a warning because I treat 'em how I want to be treated for doing my job . Show respect , give 'em the truth and having a good ear for criticism may save your license and your wallet . It's tough to out run that radio .

Great story, and its good to hear a positive outcome. Most of the young cops around here are itching to write a ticket for anything.

Thanks for sharing, thanks to the Deputy for caring about us riders! I always stop, and while it hasn't gotten me out of all my tickets it has lessen the fine and gave me a chance to know the officer. Not all of them care what you have to say but most do, I have ridden with a few LEO's and they always go easier on the guys that are respectful/ understand why he had to pull you over. I now know the officer that pulled me over for doing 102 mph in a 55. For 47 MPH over in Michigan it's normally handcuffs and flatbed time but since I immediately stopped, was respectful he let me off with a 30 over ticket that ended up being just a $165 fine.

Good story Mark! Through the years I've found that being respectful and honest with them goes a long way.No doubt there are some that are just flat out assholes but it's that way in all walks of life. On November 13th 2010 five members of the Saddletramps MC were killed on a two lane desert highway at Ocotillo Wells by a drunk mexican when he tried to pass the group. Ride safe and welcome!
Mike

Latest posts

Back