PCW pro oiler -vs- Morley HD oiler?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
What are the differences between the two? I did a search here but didn't come up with a whole lot of info...

I'm familiar with Seans kit. Only saw pictures and directions for PCW kit.

Differences:

1. The PCW kit includes a new pick up for the oil pump. Seans kit does not.

2. The PCW kit requires pan modification (grinding) Seans does not.

3. The PCW kit includes a modified oil pipe assembly. From what I can see in the photos the modifications include welding the oil pipe elbow (the one the dreaded orange o-ring resides on) to the main oil pipe assembly. Also, this same elbow has a bracket welded to it that bolts to the engine case which will positively retain the elbow in place.

4. Seans kit does not include anything to positively hold the oil pipe elbow in the engine case. It comes with an o-ring (kawasaki oval ring) to replace the orange o-ring on the oil pipe elbow. The kawasaki ring is made of a much harder material. Once installed, the elbow is a very tight fit up into the block. The kawasaki part will not buldge out like OEM. Being that it fits into the block so tightly, I don't see how the elbow could blow out of the block and cause failure but, as noted, there is nothing to positively retain the elbow into the block other than the friction of the kawasaki ring and a new OEM rubber damper included in the kit.

Similarities:

1. Both include parts to modify the oil pump for additional pressure and volume. Seems they both go about it the same way. Shim the bypass spring for additional pressure. Change oil pump drive gear for additional volume. Install spacer plate between engine block and oil pump to allow room for the larger drive gear to mate with the pump.

2. Both have methods for keeping the orange o-ring in place. PCW's is more elaborate.

Not sure on the cost of the PCW kit. Seans kit was $100 when I purchased.

I used Sean's kit in conjunction with the COO pop stopper kit. IMO that would work just as good as the PCW kit and eliminate any oil pan mods. I believe the pan mods are just to clear the new pick up they provide (might be wrong on that).

I'm sure Sean will have more knowledge on the subject than me.

Sean have u considered adding a boot lile COOs or a bracket to ensure retension on the elbow in your kit?

We could but have never seen one of our orings or elbows blown out. We've taken apart a few with our kit installed and they are always exactly like we left them. I know our kit also comes with gaskets and not sure if the PCW kit does? Theirs is more complex and not sure what the rest of it accomplishes.

We do have additional parts not normally needed like a completely different bypass unit as well as pickup assembly. Rarely does anyone need it.

We could but have never seen one of our orings or elbows blown out. We've taken apart a few with our kit installed and they are always exactly like we left them. I know our kit also comes with gaskets and not sure if the PCW kit does? Theirs is more complex and not sure what the rest of it accomplishes.

I hear ya. Altho us anal retentive types might pay extra for one. I bought mine from COO when I did your kit

All are good points. It seems to be personal preference to get the same results.

Thanks for the in-depth review Mike! I was surfing around and came across the oiling issue, so I thought I would ask. I also saw many different opinions about whether or not yamaha addressed this with the later model vmaxes....I think starting in 04? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the in-depth review Mike! I was surfing around and came across the oiling issue, so I thought I would ask. I also saw many different opinions about whether or not yamaha addressed this with the later model vmaxes....I think starting in 04? Any thoughts on that?

Not sure what year it was but the elbow was definitely changed at some point. I'm not convinced that it is a cure all for the problem. Maybe Sean can chime in and let us know if he has seen a newer bike with a blown o ring. I'm pretty sure he has already answered yes to that but I don't want to speculate.

I'm of the opinion that it doesn't cost much to take preventative measures, PA has long winters,so why not give myself peace of mind. Everyone likes to buy oil gauges but, IMO your better off spending money to fix the issue instead. The COO kit or engine saver bracket are easy ways to retain the elbow. Seans kit takes things a step further with the pump upgrades.

Indeed. I have seen 2006's with blown orings (and engines)

Indeed. I have seen 2006's with blown orings (and engines)
Noooo....don't say THAT!!:biglaugh: I know that I had mentioned bringing home the camera from work and seeing if I could peek in there and see anything. Do you think it will be possible to get a look at it through the oil fill plug? Garrett, what is the "boot" that you mentioned?

Attachments

• 2011-02-08 00.23.41.jpg
    2011-02-08 00.23.41.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 73
Gotcha. Its the puck at the bottom! Anybody know whats up with the different pickup tube in the COO kit?

He needs to show the pop stopper with it actually working. You wouldn't want to advertise your kit with a blown out oring (and showing your kit with a blown out oring).

Gotcha. Its the puck at the bottom! Anybody know whats up with the different pickup tube in the COO kit?
Crap I musta been asleep when I typed that. I meant whats up with the different pickup tube in the PCW kit.....not the COO kit.

What is the difference in oil pressure/flow rate between Sean's & a stock kit?

Gary

What is the difference in oil pressure/flow rate between Sean's & a stock kit?

Gary

Nothing different about the pump, the drive gear gets one extra tooth versus stock. I did the math and the pump is going to spin 7% faster at any given RPM.

I'm pretty sure Sean and PCW are both overdriving by the same amount by swapping the drive gear for a driven gear part number in it's place.

I had a fresh engine when mine went in so can't compare to the old engine really but my idle pressure is now about 6-9psi where it used to be about Zero.

Max pressure is dictated by the relief spring, I chose to leave mine alone (stock) 60 psi is enough I thought.

Crap I musta been asleep when I typed that. I meant whats up with the different pickup tube in the PCW kit.....not the COO kit.

I've wonderd that as well. Spacing the pump down further to make room for that bigger drive gear (Which Sean and PCW both do) doesn't require a different pickup to clear the pan, the stocker clears just fine with the stock pickup.

Not sure what it's about:ummm:

Nothing different about the pump, the drive gear gets one extra tooth versus stock. I did the math and the pump is going to spin 7% faster at any given RPM.

I'm pretty sure Sean and PCW are both overdriving by the same amount by swapping the drive gear for a driven gear part number in it's place.

I had a fresh engine when mine went in so can't compare to the old engine really but my idle pressure is now about 6-9psi where it used to be about Zero.

Max pressure is dictated by the relief spring, I chose to leave mine alone (stock) 60 psi is enough I thought.

70 PSI is what you will get after shimming that spring which I decieded to do.
V-max oiling problem is not related with high pressure tho its not the pressure type pump. It lacks a flow on low rpms which is greatly solved by both kits.
I dare to say new oil pickup is needless.

Took the sump off......time to email Sean methinks.....

Attachments

• 2013-02-18 20.14.06_resized-2.jpg
    2013-02-18 20.14.06_resized-2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 98
Mine was the same way. Funny how every pic I have seen of the o-ring problem, it is always in exactly the same spot! Probably most stock bikes have the problem but the owners have never checked. It seems to only cause a serious problem occasionally. Maybe for those who really beat their bikes? :biglaugh:

Back