Pesky Stalling Problem!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16333

Reaction score
2009 Vmax mods: Gurued Gear ECU Re-flash ~ Akrapovic exhaust.

There are currently no error codes, and no codes currently in history.
This started about two years ago, the bike would stall one time every 3 months or so.
About 6 months ago it got the point where it was stalling 1 to 3 times a day.
A few months ago it became unrideable, code 11 displaying, she would die constantly,
you had to pull over and wait before it would fire up, sometimes 30 minutes. Replaced
the Cam Position Sensor. Got the bike back from the shop with the same problem. Cleared
the code and that took care of stalling issue 1.

A day later, it stalls about 2 or three times a day. With this stall, I can pop the clutch, it
fires (most) every time. When she stalls, (this time and before) it’s a total engine shut down,
no sputtering, both at cruising speed or at idle.. Electrics do not cut out.

The bike has 35K, I have not replaced the plugs, but the bike runs strong, no misfires..
I add Seafoam every few tanks. Generally, babied, I change fluids/filter often.
I live about 200 yards from the ocean, so it does get salt air.

The Yamaha dealer doesn't seem to have a clue, they are conferring with a Yamaha rep.
I see more expensive guess work on the horizon if left in there hands.

I wonder if anybody has the same problem or could assist me?

Recent work last 6 months:
Recharged air filter, new battery, stator, rectifier regulator, starter motor, coolant.
Recall for part of the wiring harness, Cam Position sensor replaced. Oil/filter.

Beast1.jpg

Last edited:
Cam position sensor replaced or throttle position sensor?

I thought you may have mentioned it was the tps in a previous post.

Why were all those other electrical parts replaced.....never heard of any of those failing before.

Have the throttle bodies been synced recently?

Is a Power Commander also installed ( check under the right side, side cover).

The cam position sensor was replaced. That is what Yamaha diagnosed the problem as.
I just listed all the items I replaced recently (quite the run of bad of luck).

I'll check for the power Commander..
The throttle bodies have not been synced..

I went for a ride today, it died 4 times in 30 minutes. Now, it's to the point of being a safety issue.

Most everyone including myself that have replaced their plugs have found the originals to be in very good shape. But, I do remember an owner that had 1 plug that went "bad". Definitely not a common problem though.
Out of sync throttle bodies can cause the engine to stall, as can a bad tps or incorrectly calibrated tps, or a Power Commander that does not have the tps signal properly calibrated.

Unfortunately almost no dealer has a clue about Vmax's in general....... you're usually much better off finding your answers on a forum. http://www.starvmax.com/forum
Is the best place for Gen 2 VMax owners...... many there have had their bikes for10 years.

Last edited:
The bike doesn't feel like it misfires at all, it's just a stall from either cruising or from idle.
No Power Commander. (pic under r/side cover)
If the TPS was bad, wouldn't it flash a different code?
I assume, if not calibrated, it would not flash a code, but could still cause a stall.

If calibration is the issue, is this a big application?
Plus, would the tech be able to diagnose a calibration issue without tearing it down?
Its been to Yamaha 2 times for this issue, you would think they would check listed these possibilities.

D13-15 - Throttle position sensor
D14-16 - Accelerator position sensor signal 1
D15-17 - Accelerator position sensor signal 2

Side cover.jpg

{Thanks itgoes, I'm a retired (dealership) bodyshop manager, I hear what your saying}
I will post there as well...

If the TPS wasn't replaced then I wouldn't worry much about it not being adjusted correctly. I thought you had mentioned that it was....and if a new one is installed it has to be adjusted properly for the engine to run correctly.

I would start with syncing the throttle bodies. Not hard to do. If they are out of sync they can definitely cause the bike to stall when you chop the throttle. Normally your idle will not be great either.

I noticed a pattern today after stalling, most of the time she fires after popping the clutch, but when she didn't,
I toggled the kill switch from on to off and on again, it fired up both times! The switch does not have a solid feel
going into the on & off position. It's not flimsy or vibrating when running, but does not feel solid. I'm going to
order one tomorrow and test this theory out again in the morning.

Talked to a guy that with 40 years experience today, he gave me other possibilities..
Pick up coil ~ fuel pump - Injector rail - vacuum leak - pin hole on the fuel side - debris blocking fuel -
side stand switch - clean connections with Dielectric Grease - May the force be with me -

I noticed a pattern today after stalling, most of the time she fires after popping the clutch, but when she didn't,
I toggled the kill switch from on to off and on again, it fired up both times! The switch does not have a solid feel
going into the on & off position. It's not flimsy or vibrating when running, but does not feel solid. I'm going to
order one tomorrow and test this theory out again in the morning.

Talked to a guy that with 40 years experience today, he gave me other possibilities..
Pick up coil ~ fuel pump - Injector rail - vacuum leak - pin hole on the fuel side - debris blocking fuel -
side stand switch - clean connections with Dielectric Grease - May the force be with me -

Could be the switch, mine got funky and would sometimes need to be toggled to start the bike. Never caused the bike to stall though..... I opened it up and cleaned it and all was good. I hope that's all it is, that would be great.

I'm not familiar with gen ii but does it have a kickstand switch if it does check that cause the clutch handle would bypass and it would start wish I knew more about them haven't even seen one, dealer here never got one for me to look at.:(:(

My 18 stalled at idle with only 5 miles on the odo. Right from the dealer. First thing I checked was throttle body sync. I dunno how they let it leave the factory like that, they were so far off I'm surprised it ran at all. Now after 2000 miles no stalling. Never did it at cruising, only at idle. It does have a side stand switch(say that 3 times fast lol). I don't think the clutch bypasses it either, I'm pretty certain it kills the bike clutch in, in gear....... Don't hold me to it. I almost think it killed mine with it down, clutch in in gear. Won't hurt to check the kill switch, only two screws Phillips head. My wife had a Honda Shadow, while riding the headlight would flicker, or just plain not work. One day it wouldn't start, jump the solonoid fire right up. Turns out the starter button fried. Had a contact that melted into the button. With the button relaxed it sent power to the headlight, push it in it would cut power to the headlight, and engage the starter. It was the last thing I checked, I had that thing tore down to the frame almost looking for a dead wire, or a short. New button, it was like nothing happened.

Last edited:
your right about the bypass on some bikes,not sure about new gen but either way the kickstand switch or the kill switch sounds like your prob I don't know if it is opened or closed but if you unplug it and it starets then norm open,if it doesn't then run u a wire to jump it and ride the bike and c if thats your prob. I hope this is helping I hate to c u down for this kind of issue, cause its going to be something simple that makes u go dugh and slap yourself in the head. I know you should see the bruises on mine lol

Just had mine out today. I can confirm that the side stand switch does in fact kill the engine with the stand down, clutch in, in gear. Definitely worth checking into, might be nothing but it might be something lol. Just remember K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid). Had I only remembered that on my wife's Shadow I could have saved a bunch of time lol. Two Phillips head screws and I would have found the problem rather than tearing half the bike apart looking for a bad wire that wasn't bad lol.

K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) as Rebeltaz83 says is sometimes the easiest solution.
The pattern of stalling and not firing back up until I toggled the kill switch is something I should have pieced together earlier, especially being a retired auto body tech/manager, you think it would have came to me sooner, probably inhaled too much Bondo over my career. I did have 2 separate stalling issues, one being the cam position sensor.

Got the kill switch today, took me about 20 minutes to install.
I took her out for an hour with no interruptions, not one stall! It's been a long time since I could say those words. I pulled apart the old switch, most everything is oxidized past the point of contact, no solid snap into on/off position. I still might have a side stand switch to replace, about
any switch in the elements is fair game on Maui. Thanks to everybody for their input.

20190402_190200.jpg
Bikewall1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back