Pick up a Radian 600 for wife

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1986 Yamaha Radian 600 for my wife. Bike is in very good shape for the year and runs like a top. Got the bike for $400.00 with 49000 kilometers (30,000 miles) on it.

Now being a vmax guy, the bike will need to be modded for improved ridability and so my wife who's 5 feet tall, will fit on it. So, I'm thinking of putting on the 40mm vmax forks on it (stock is 36mm) and a set of shorter rear shocks (either 11"or 11.5") - stock is 12". The bike needs to be lowered by a total of 1.5".

So if anybody has some shocks or forks they are looking at getting rid of, let me know.

Mike

Attachments

• radian.jpeg
    radian.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 151
mE VERY HAPPY FOR YOU,I WILL LOOK FOR SOME SHOCKS FOR YOU AND OTHER GOODIES,LOOKING FORWARD TO RIDING WITH YOU AND THE WIFE.:eusa_dance:

I've got a nearly new set of progressive 412's from a friend/customer. I want to say they are 11's but may be 11.5's $175 plus shipping. I do have a newer vmax fork set but I don't really know that those bikes need one. They worked well with what they had since they were so light. We boiught one for a friend years ago and they are great machines.

Sean

Just picked up a 1986 Yamaha Radian 600 for my wife. Bike is in very good shape for the year and runs like a top. Got the bike for $400.00 with 49000 kilometers (30,000 miles) on it.

Now being a vmax guy, the bike will need to be modded for improved ridability and so my wife who's 5 feet tall, will fit on it. So, I'm thinking of putting on the 40mm vmax forks on it (stock is 36mm) and a set of shorter rear shocks (either 11"or 11.5") - stock is 12". The bike needs to be lowered by a total of 1.5".

So if anybody has some shocks or forks they are looking at getting rid of, let me know.

Mike

Sweet deal Mike!

Mike

I have both. A set of 11.5" Progressive shocks (440 I think) , they're old and could do with Mothers and elbow grease, but work fine.

Also I have original black 41mm forks on my spare bike, they're '85 and the dust seals look a bit old, otherwise ok.

Lemme know if interested - neither are on fleaBay yet.

I have both. A set of 11.5" Progressive shocks (440 I think) , they're old and could do with Mothers and elbow grease, but work fine.

Also I have original black 41mm forks on my spare bike, they're '85 and the dust seals look a bit old, otherwise ok.

Lemme know if interested - neither are on fleaBay yet.

Thanks G! - PM sent

Mike

Love the Radian that was my first bike wish i would have kept it!!

Thought I would give an update on the Radian project.

The FZR600R swingarm/rear wheel has been fitted on and lined up. The GSXR600 front end has been matted to the Vmax triple trees and test fitted.

Next is to get the front/brakes/axle off to the machinist as the Vmax triples are narrower than the GSXR forks/whee by .580". Than finish setting up the ride height of the bike and than strip and send to powdercoat and paint.

Mike

Attachments

• 100-0016.jpg
    100-0016.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 53
  • 100-0013.jpg
    100-0013.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 47
Excellant progress, looking good. Are you redoing the rim color too?

The color choice is ultimately my wife's. But it looks like frame, swingarm, lower fork tubes and rims will be powdercoated gun metal grey with some metal flake in it and the body panels will be black chrome (thanks to Sheldon).

Just ordered the EFM auto clutch for it today. That was a must for her as her hands are very small and the cable style clutch was a problem for her.

Should be a very nice bike once done.

Mike

That should be a nice combo of colors.
We should get together for a coffee and go for a ride or two this summer. I liked the coffee from the Tim's we met at for the manitoulin ride, maybe we could get Gman to meet up too?

That should be a nice combo of colors.
We should get together for a coffee and go for a ride or two this summer. I liked the coffee from the Tim's we met at for the manitoulin ride, maybe we could get Gman to meet up too?

Another Manitoulin ride!!! I can definitely go for that. Tell you what, Timmy's on me for anybody that shows up :banana:

Mike

Another Manitoulin ride!!! I can definitely go for that. Tell you what, Timmy's on me for anybody that shows up :banana:

Mike
That's a deal sealer for sure, and another run on Manitoulin would be great! Brucee is in Arizona fighting the border wars but should be back for the summer.

Here's the final pictures of the mock up for my wife's Radian.

Has a GSXR600 wheel, Tokico 4 pot calipers with GSXR rotors mated to the Vmax triple trees (thanks Dannymax) and a rear FZR600R swingarm, wheel, caliper and rotor.

now it's time to strip it and send to powdercoat and paint.

Mike

Attachments

• 100-0006.jpg
    100-0006.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 100-0007.jpg
    100-0007.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 100-0011.jpg
    100-0011.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 100-0014.jpg
    100-0014.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 100-0016.jpg
    100-0016.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
Nice bike. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Radian. I've owned a couple of them. That was the last bike my wife rode. She crashed it into my car in my driveway. :confused2: That was in 1991.

Back