Pick up coil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquaant03

Reaction score
Hi,
Bikes been running fine but now no spark, I've removed the pickup coil and have no resistance measurement at all.
I assume its knackered?

Does anyone have a good single coil or know where to get one from?

Regards
Tony

Hi it's the single coil, although I bought it as an 89 from DK.
Interestingly the wires had been spliced previously, I cut and reconnected them and I got a resistance measure, I then warmed it as I had seen on you tube and no measurement, it cooled and came back.
I have seen that the xvz1300 coil is the same, si I've worded it from DK, just hope it works?

Loss of continuity when hot is a common problem with the VMax pick-up coil if it's bad.

How-many wires do you have for your pick-up coil? The early 1985-'89 has 5 wires in a six-wire M-F nylon connector block. The 1990-'07 has two wires in a two-wire M-F connector. The rotor has to be changed if you're going to convert an early ignition to the later ignition, the CDI box too.

Last edited:
Hi,
Is the pic for a pre 1990 bike?
Anyway the XVZ1300 coil has arrived and it measures 211ohms?
Fitted it and it still wont start but backfires, I've now ordered a new OEM old stock coil, hope that sorts it?

Hi,
Is the pic for a pre 1990 bike?
Anyway the XVZ1300 coil has arrived and it measures 211ohms?
Fitted it and it still wont start but backfires, I've now ordered a new OEM old stock coil, hope that sorts it?

A dime to a dollar, I bet you have crossed the coil connectors. In front, the right coil fires the left cyl, the left coil fires the right cylinder.

OK, look at the first pic, how-many wires do you see to the molex plug? Answer: Five (85-89 ignition) There are five wires into a six-space white nylon plug.

How-many wires for the pick-up coil to the molex plug in the second picture? Answer: Two (1990-2007)

Please read the masking tape labels, that's why they're labelled.

I am not an electrical engineer, that would be my beloved wife (over 40 years as an E.E.) but I suspect that presenting an electrical resistance nearly-twice what the OEM stock ignition box is expecting to-read, is going to cause problems, if not now, when you try to use that Venture pick-up coil, then later. If you choose to use an incorrect electrical component, do-not be surprised when your electronic ignition box greets-you with wisps of white smoke, an acrid unpleasant smell, and a rapidly-overheated plastic case!

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification , I considered the XVZ coil after looking at the following site
https://www.hpi.be/pickup.php

The bottom coil listed is for both the Vmax and XVZ, their resistance measurement table shows 100 ohms, the one I bought is double which must mean its shot, I'll send it back to DK.

Ref your pics, I understand that now, as I stated earlier mine is the 2 wire one, and the only connectors that I disconnected were to the 2 rear ignition coils and the pick up coil, so I know I haven't mixed them up?

P4901 74mm 13mm 3mm 100Ω

That's what you have but the resistance reads 200+ ohms? That's out-of-spec. It's not that it's 'shot,' it's just not what your needs are. Are you using a better-quality digital multimeter?

Yes you said yours is the 2-wire, for 1990-2007. What is the serial # on your engine case? What year is your machine, from the info on the steering head?

Hi,
I've now fitted a new OEM pick up and she fired up 1st press.
I've another problem
I bought the bike from DK motorcycles as a running Japanese import, it did run but not be very well, I balanced the carbs and it sat for 6 months, then I had the pick up coil problem, but it's still got a misfire.
You mentioned earlier that may be the ignition coil wiring was mixed up?
I have not taken the front connectors apart before, but that's not to day they are right?
In my Haynes manual it doesnt show you which wiring goes to which cylinder coil, any idea?
Connector colours are red and white and then 4 different colours, grey, white, orange and yellow.
Can you help with this please?

Regards
Tony

If the coil connectors were swapped left for right in either the front or the back the engine would probably backfire constantly and run only intermittently. If it's starting and running but is breaking up on the low end of the tach it's probably clogged pilot Jets and the carb jet block.

Hi,
I have a 1987 Vmax 1200 and it was sitting for 12 years in a garage and turned over fine but when I checked for spark I was only able to get spark on 1 cylinder I believe it is either the CDI or the pickup coil, Due to low voltage on the ignition coil wire but when I check for resistance on the pickup coil nothing is reading so im thinking it's an open circuit I already have bought a CDI box on eBay im just looking for a pickup coil but I can't seem to the any of them with the 5 prong connecter can anyone help guide me in the right direction.

alexm535, where in Florida re you? As you know it's a l-o-n-g state.

Read the prior posts. The 1985-'89 bikes with the same engine are two pick-up coils with 5 wires. The 1990-'07 are 1 pick-up coil, two wires. See the pictures.

alexm535, where in Florida re you? As you know it's a l-o-n-g state.

Read the prior posts. The 1985-'89 bikes with the same engine are two pick-up coils with 5 wires. The 1990-'07 are 1 pick-up coil, two wires. See the pictures.
I am in the Orlando area.
I've been only able to see any 90 to 07 coils but I know they are more prone to go bad than the 80s version I've been looking for part-out bikes but have had no luck finding any I have a 95-parts bike but a lot of those parts are useless on the 87.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/1985-1989-yamaha-factory-manual-pick-up-coil-testing.51824/
Error in the factory manual.

From another thread (post #28):
Just to note the VMAX Factory Repair Manual is wrong on how to test the pickup coils on the older bikes. Drove me crazy looking for this thread. Book wants 110+/-10 ohms from ORANGE to all the other colors. This is incorrect! As someone stated earlier in this thread you must use the BLACK as common and check to all the others. Mark up your manual.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/puzzled.51755/page-7#post-522395
I checked Ron Ayres Yamaha for the 5-wire '85-'89 pick-up coils of which there are two. It's obsolete, not available. If you have a 1995 parts bike, you can switch the pick-up coil, the rotor, the CDI and the wire harness to the 1990-up ignition. You may need to replace the stator also.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/1985-1989-yamaha-factory-manual-pick-up-coil-testing.51824/
Error in the factory manual.

From another thread (post #28):
Just to note the VMAX Factory Repair Manual is wrong on how to test the pickup coils on the older bikes. Drove me crazy looking for this thread. Book wants 110+/-10 ohms from ORANGE to all the other colors. This is incorrect! As someone stated earlier in this thread you must use the BLACK as common and check to all the others. Mark up your manual.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/puzzled.51755/page-7#post-522395
I checked Ron Ayres Yamaha for the 5-wire '85-'89 pick-up coils of which there are two. It's obsolete, not available. If you have a 1995 parts bike, you can switch the pick-up coil, the rotor, the CDI and the wire harness to the 1990-up ignition. You may need to replace the stator also.
Wow, no pickup coils are available at all that's crazy. So from what you are saying I would have to switch the whole wire harness the CDI and the rotor from the 95 bike.

Don't forget the single pick-up coil from the '95 too.

I looked at the Venture's two pick-up coils in 1985 listings, but it's not available either.

Wow, no pickup coils are available at all that's crazy. So from what you are saying I would have to switch the whole wire harness the CDI and the rotor from the 95 bike.
I wonder how long you expect a manufacturer to maintain parts for a model that was last produced some 34 years ago?
From what I have seen on here over the years it is very rare to read of pick-up coils failing so you need to be very sure before you go down that route.
If not already done so it may be worth contacting Sean to see if he has any or knows of alternatives.

I've wondered about using two individual pick-up coils, which would probably require some fabrication for mounting. I believe you need to ensure that your resistance for the two together matches that of the OEM twin pick-ups. The air gap needs to match the OEM spec, and the mounting mechanism seems to me to be where your time would be spent in fabrication.

Back