Picked up a new toy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Those that are offended by firearms, skip to the bottom, read my sig, and go no further. ;) Seriously though, I'm not debating firearms or the use/carry of them in this thread on this forum.

Well I picked it up today, and all I had to take photos with was my camcorder. It's a Para Ordnance PX745SB 1911 style pistol in .45ACP. I'm getting into competetive shooting a little bit and this will serve me better than the Taurus does. I'll get better pics and put 'em up when my camera makes it's way back home.

Here it is with my Taurus PT-145.
Para1.jpg

Para2.jpg

Nice piece ! I'm into Taurus revolvers myself, but that's because of price & I only need them for up-close hunting or defense. My buddy shoots a .45 like you bought & it groups GREAT ! Be sure to post your results when you compete - I for one would love to hear it !

Nice!:thumbs up: I wish we could go out and get a handgun up here without going through all the conspiracy theories from law enforcement as to why you want to APPLY to get one! :damn angry:

Nice piece ! I'm into Taurus revolvers myself, but that's because of price & I only need them for up-close hunting or defense. My buddy shoots a .45 like you bought & it groups GREAT ! Be sure to post your results when you compete - I for one would love to hear it !

You betcha I'll post 'em up. The main reason I compete is to stay sharp with a firearm, you never know when you may need it. I may end up buying a press and do my own reloads as well if I stay up into competition shoots. Ammo is $$$

Wooo Hoooo Go ahead I dare you, Pull my trigger finger!!!

Wooo hoo "Me shoot this flame thrower at your pooper!! :flamethrower::th_biggun:

Ban Stupid People Not Guns!!

I would hope to own a Caspian, or a Colt with some Wilson upgrades for competition shooting, unfortunately I cant afford a $3k Caspian and the Wife won't let me trick out a Colt right now. I carry a G23 (.40) and love it. A few friends of mine from another MC forum run drills nearly every weekend it is tons of fun.. Things can happen at anytime, be prepared people!.

Nice Taurus, how does she fire?

Right on Lankee, agreed with the Ban stupid people, not guns.

RVAVMAX - The Taurus does a fine job, I've got over 2000 rounds and hasn't failed me once. It's my carry piece as of right now. The 1911 will replace that as I'm selling the Taurus to a friend since he sold his last pistol. I'm also going to get a Ruger LCP for pocket carry in the hot summer time.

You betcha I'll post 'em up. The main reason I compete is to stay sharp with a firearm, you never know when you may need it. I may end up buying a press and do my own reloads as well if I stay up into competition shoots. Ammo is $$$

Nice pieces. Reloading's the way to go. You'll save bunch's of $'s and be able to dial your loads right in. Sometimes a simple little thing like a different brand of primer will affect accuracy.
I shoot a Series 70 Colt Combat Commander in ,45 ACP, it's got a few goodies, Millett high profile night sights, combat grips, stuff like that. Only problem is that combat ejector flings the brass all over the place and I spend too much time finding it.
I absolutely refuse to put a friggin' Wal Mart plastic catch bag on my Colt! :rofl_200:

Right on Dannymax. I'm keeping this Para internally stock. I came with the fiber optic front sight for a whole 1 more dollar from the factory haha. I think I got a smokin' deal on it compared to what I've seen these model Para's go for.

If the competition bug bites me good, I may do a home built 1911, or go with an STI. Before I do that I want to get a 1911 Conceal Carry like the Kimber Ultra Carry II or a Para Warthog (double stack).

Hey Dustin, congrats on the new toy. I know very little about guns in general and even less about competitive shooting. I am all about name dropping though so here is my little input. Do you know of a guy here in my neck of the woods by the name of Les Baer. http://www.lesbaer.com/ I think he has a bit to do with competitive shooting. Also right up your ally is that he held the PRO 5.0 title and record in drag racing for a bit. He's a great customer of mine and somewhat of a friend. The company I work for does a lot of work with the gun makers around the Quad Cities. Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, Les Baer, and Armalite.

later

Hey Dustin, congrats on the new toy. I know very little about guns in general and even less about competitive shooting. I am all about name dropping though so here is my little input. Do you know of a guy here in my neck of the woods by the name of Les Baer. http://www.lesbaer.com/ I think he has a bit to do with competitive shooting. Also right up your ally is that he held the PRO 5.0 title and record in drag racing for a bit. He's a great customer of mine and somewhat of a friend. The company I work for does a lot of work with the gun makers around the Quad Cities. Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, Les Baer, and Armalite.

later

Yeah I'm familiar with that name. He has some high end firearms that's for certain. Also rings a bell with the Pro 5.0 too.

That's pretty sweet actually Nathan!

Right on Dannymax. I'm keeping this Para internally stock. I came with the fiber optic front sight for a whole 1 more dollar from the factory haha. I think I got a smokin' deal on it compared to what I've seen these model Para's go for.

If the competition bug bites me good, I may do a home built 1911, or go with an STI. Before I do that I want to get a 1911 Conceal Carry like the Kimber Ultra Carry II or a Para Warthog (double stack).

Def. a nice piece. :clapping:

Yup, agree with the internal stock set up. Maybe a bushing to soften up the recoil shock, combat ejector (if it doesn't already have one) that's it.

Here's a pic of my ol' classic. I like the series 70's, no transfer bar. That screwed the action all up IMHO.

dan

Attachments

• ,45 ACP Colt .jpg
    ,45 ACP Colt .jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 9

The Springfield XD is also a fine pistol to carry, I'm a Glock guy myself as far as what I carry but I like many other makes as well.

Are you familiar with the .45 GAP? I had a chance to try one out recently, very impressive little round! The term "little" being relative.:clapping:

dan

I am familiar with it, I agree it is a great round. Only reason I chose to carry the .40 was due to the fact that it is a compact frame and not full size. I wanted to be able to control it well in the event I need to tripple tap or just let loose.

Uh, speaking of classics.......

I had several of these SKS's.Good little shooters but a pain in the ass to clean compared to an AK.The AK has a 1/4 the moving parts that the SKS does.Just make sure that you buy a machined reciever not the tin stamped ones.

I had several of these SKS's.Good little shooters but a pain in the ass to clean compared to an AK.The AK has a 1/4 the moving parts that the SKS does.Just make sure that you buy a machined reciever not the tin stamped ones.

Yup, agree on the cleaning, but def a blast to rock with! Went to the local gun shop and picked up 1K rounds, just in case-ya know. The guy at the shop has hand built .30 & .50 cal tri-pod mounted semi auto, belt fed machine guns. Wicked looking things!! :worthy: Sure as hell not a carry piece, however!

dan

Dannyvmax - I got some Wilson shock buffs to go in, so I'm covered there.

RVAVMAX - I was actually going to purchase the XD when I went and shot a Kimber of a friends. It ruined me so I had to have a 1911 but to be different I got a Para haha. I plan on going with an XD in a 9mm to swap out for carry.

My next piece will either be a Kel-Tec P3AT or the new Ruger LCP for pocket carry in the summer time, the XD may follow that, or I may get another 1911, I'm not sure yet.

Shawn - I have a Ruger Mini-14 that's a ton of fun to go shooting with as well!
Guns2.jpg

Latest posts

Back