Picked up an 03 Nostalgia So hard

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_palmer22

Reaction score
Hello All! First post! I picked up this 03 V-max to go though and re sell. It has 3800 original miles and it shows. The P/o Passed away and it was sitting a few years. I got an absolute steal on it so I couldn't pass it up. The carbs are currently sitting on my bench in the middle of a rebuild. The left rear cyl was dumping fuel out the exhaust and not firing. I tired the shotgun method and had no luck, so out came the carbs. Looking forward to getting this thing going so I can send it off to its new home.

I'm having some serious nostalgia with this thing. While its the first time I've been near one in almost 10 years I've had 2 of them as my 1st and 2nd bikes(i know. It was stupid on my part...But hey I was 16 and not very bright)

The first one I had was a 92. Stage 7 was done, as well as pod filters and a 17 inch rear rim. Sucker was stupid fast. Rode it home from the drag strip one night and woke up in the morning and it had lit on fire at some point. Completely destroyed the bike. Apparently in 2005 camera phones were terrible...

After the 02 burned up I used the Insurance money to buy a 97. Bone stock. I wrecked the crap out of that one and haven't been near them since. Forgot how much I love that V-4 Sound!

Nice find, Nothing wrong with keeping it for awhile :eusa_dance:

Welcome to the forum. As you already know , it can be addictive. You may have a friend who can test it when the carbs are done. Less temptation ya know ?

I was talking with that seller 30 minutes before you came to buy it. Was almost ready to go see it.....

I was talking with that seller 30 minutes before you came to buy it. Was almost ready to go see it.....

Gotta act fast on craigslist!

I buy bikes on craigslist, completely go through them and sell them. It allows me to ride the bikes I love, and go to the track. I really really want to keep this thing, but just bought a house so it needs to go.

Carb bowls are absolutely nasty. The p/o bought it then tried to pass the Motorcycle drivers test on it and failed so it sat. Fuel tank was topped up when I got it and it actually fired on the old gas so I assume that they used some sort of fuel stablizer, and there doesn't appear to be any rust there was no massive particles in the old fuel .Drained the old fuel and dumped it in my jeep. My cherokee will eat anything that burns. I've even dumped small amounts of premix in there before.

Should have the carbs completely cleaned today. I'll keep you all posted and post a few pics.

I'm sure you know if you've had 2 of them before make sure you get the 2 jets inside the jetblock under the rubber plugs and set those floats.
Gas was probably mixed with seafoam.

My last two I never had to do any carb work but I'm no stranger to it. I got into them yeterday and the pilots were completely gummed up. Thank god for my ultra sonic cleaner. Best thing ever for doing carbs.

Can you let us in on the "absolute steal" part and then, what ballpark price you are thinking of when you flip it? Also, Welcome to the forum!

You sound like the same guy I talked to years ago and ended up buying that rear wheel from? I want to say burned down at a friends house in the driveway while you were asleep.

That's usually the reason a "shotgun"or "peashooter" won't do it.

+1, You get no response from the A/F screws, even after syncing the carbs. That crud in the slow/pilot jets has to be pushed out. My ultra sonic cleaner doesn't get it all out. A drill bit of proper size turned by hand is how I clean them now.
Steve-o

You sound like the same guy I talked to years ago and ended up buying that rear wheel from? I want to say burned down at a friends house in the driveway while you were asleep.

Yup that was me! That was over 10 years ago. Crazy. Bike is up and running smoothly. It's in bad need of a carb sync. I've got a motion pro carb sync tool due to be here tomorrow. Nothing extraordinary to report. Right bank of carbs were way cleaner than left with the left rear being the worst. I assume because it's closest to the fuel inlet. Here's a few pics. You can see the ethanol build up.

We were able to salvage the wheel though it needed straightened. Still going strong to this day (sold to a customer in Louisiana after I rode on it for a few years)

Attachments

• Byron 1.jpg
    Byron 1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Chrome side view Right.jpg
    Chrome side view Right.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 39
We were able to salvage the wheel though it needed straightened. Still going strong to this day (sold to a customer in Louisiana after I rode on it for a few years)
Wow thats crazy considering the damage.
Finally got everything wrapped up on the bike. Just need to find an airbox cover and all will be well.
Here's a youtube video:
https://youtu.be/3McWwQOm98o
And a bunch of pics.

A great clean bike, good job there, the chin spoiler is a subtle mod, it looks like it belongs there. Whose is it? I prefer a stock-appearing bike.

Dare I say it, it's like a Softail, or a Shovelhead Lowrider, or a Duoglide, just an iconic representation of something you don't need to be a biker to know its purpose.

Funny you say that. I'm not a big fan of aftermarket body work on a bike like this. However in person you can't even tell the chin spoiler doesn't belong. I like it. Not sure the manufacturer. There's no markings on it. Getting ready to throw this thing on Craigslist and maybe eBay. After some research it appears to be the lowest mileage gen 1 for sale right now. I saw told by some v-max pro's to ask 6500 and take no less than 6k with low milage gen 1's so hard to find. what do yall think?

I would be surprised to see it bring more then $4500 personally.

Latest posts

Back