Picking up my GenII

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally taking the plunge. I've had a gen one (2 of them, actually) since 1996, bought my first one in 1996, 1985 vmax ended up selling her in 2003, then bought my second gen 1 in 2013. Tomorrow I pick up a 2009 with a little over 4000 miles logged on her. Can't wait to feel how she compares to my original. Just had to share, I'm 50 but I'm as excited as I've ever been!

Joe

Congratulations! You are going to be amazed at the performance! Does it have any mods? Sounds like it’s brand new with 4K miles, these things are just incredible. Good luck with it and post some pics when you can.

It has been flashed, not sure on the recalls, I suppose I can look that up by VIN once she's here, correct?
Joe
Be careful getting the oil pump recall done. I'm one of the lucky ones who had the dealership total an engine by breaking the drive gear for the pump doing the recall.

According to the TSB you should see a punch mark by the VIN if the oil pump recall has been done.
Congrats on your Gen2. Nice find!

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the oil pump, just had the local dealer replace it yesterday since it indeed had not been done, so far loving this thing. It still has the cat, so that's the next step, remove that and get the ECU re-flashed, but I'm just waiting till there are enough rainy/cold days in a row where I can send out the ECU and get it back by the time it's nice again.

Joe

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the oil pump, just had the local dealer replace it yesterday since it indeed had not been done, so far loving this thing. It still has the cat, so that's the next step, remove that and get the ECU re-flashed, but I'm just waiting till there are enough rainy/cold days in a row where I can send out the ECU and get it back by the time it's nice again.

Joe
Congratulations on the new ride. When I got up, it was down to 72 degrees this morning, I almost had to put on a sweater.

That thing has enough power as-is, get some saddle time now before it starts snowing. When it's in the single digits Fahrenheit or below-0 you can send that ECU off.

Hey congrats on the Gen 2 Max. Nice looking Bike, Noticed it has the Dominator Slip ons, i have owned my 2010 Max for about a year now and bought it with Stock Exhaust, I decided to go with the Dominator Exhaust with Cat delete, The fit and finish were very good and i also bought the Decibel killers for the mufflers, my point in all this is they are very loud! and with the Decibel killer in them they sound kind of Tinny, which i don't like so i took them out. don't get me wrong the bike sounds awesome, and in my opinion the noise can save your ass when in traffic.!
But if i try to ride it work in the morning i feel like I'm waking the whole Neiborhood. and as you all know it's hard to stay out of the throttle on these Beast!

Joe
I have a 09 that needs the recall, there is also a wire harness recall as well for some of them. I personally love having the 09 being the first year of the second gen and also having the identification number pieces to bolt to the frame. Mine is number 262. I have no idea what mods are done to mine but it’s a bike that’s been on utube since back in 09. Vance and Hines bought my bike new in 09 to develop the CS-1 exhaust system, they had criss woods do a transformer theme paint job on it. It has all of the Sato parts on it including the rear sets. It’s definitely one of a kind, normally I prefer bone stock when I buy a bike but in this case I was definitely loving the whole Vance and Hines transformation. No idea if it’s been unleashed but if it hasn’t I’d be surprised because it will literally spin up the rear tire right off the throttle. I have only 2 keepers and this is one of them. The other is my 2004 R1 I’ll never let it go.

Back