Pike's Peak or bust.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfeagins

Reaction score
Who do we have on a Gen 1 in Dodge City, KS that would have been out tooling around town last Thursday evening Aug 29th?

Shala & I stopped in Dodge on our way to Pike's Peak that evening, and after supper on our way westbound out of town, we came up behind this rider and tried to get his attention w/o any luck. He turned off on a side street and didn't look twice at us on our Hondas.

The next morning, we passed by a guy riding his 09 Gen II in the opposite direction from us on hwy US50 in a small town , I believe, called Oliver, CO, but I can't seem to find it on the map. We didn't manage to get his attention either.

We put around 1750 round trip miles on our Rune's this weekend and wish it could have been more.

Fri evening we went to Garden of the Gods and Seven Falls. Saturday we rode up Pike's Peak, then went back down to Manitou Springs & Old Colorado City to shop around. Sunday morning we met with a friend and toured around that part of Colorado and saw Cripple Creek, Salida, Canon City, and too many other small towns to remember and did a couple hundred miles of fun, twisted, scenic highway. I wish Colorado were a bit closer, as I'd like to spend more time in the Rockies.

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 037.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 021.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 038.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 065.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 074.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 087.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 085.jpg

Pike's Peak  Aug 31 2013 080.jpg

This year's long-weekend excursion to Pike's Peak was actually Shala's suggestion. Since I LOOOVE Colorado, I was easily persuaded, although I much prefer the Estes Park/Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park area. Next year, IF we take a full weeks' vaction anywhere, I got dibs on going up to Glacier Nat'l Park and riding the Highway to the Sun road and into Canada. (bucket list)

This year's long-weekend excursion to Pike's Peak was actually Shala's suggestion. Since I LOOOVE Colorado, I was easily persuaded, although I much prefer the Estes Park/Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park area. Next year, IF we take a full weeks' vaction anywhere, I got dibs on going up to Glacier Nat'l Park and riding the Highway to the Sun road and into Canada. (bucket list)
Beautiful pics and Shala knows how to pick 'em! That is a fun road, but haven't been up since they had it paved all the way. You may want to try the road that goes up to Mt. Evans, highest road in the U.S..
The Road Going to the Sun is a can't miss road too, and from what I saw in Alberta stick to the western most parts near Banff. Miles Long told that the the roads in Alberta are to not be missed.

You may want to try the road that goes up to Mt. Evans, highest road in the U.S.

Yes, I know all about the gorgeous road up Mt. Evans. It's among my top 5 favorites. We've been to the top a couple times now, in a truck. However, on our last trip through there (2010), we got up EARLY and left from the Estes Park, CO KOA at 0-dark:30 to be able to actually ride it for once on our bikes. Got there in plenty of time to ride up, take in the view, and safely get off the mountain before the usual afternoon storms had a chance to build. Little F'er with the brown ranger hat taking money at the main entrance at the bottom sticks his f'ing head out the window and proceeds to 'warn us' about the gusting winds predicted up top that day, and that a biker was "nearly blown off the road up there yesterday" speech he most likely gave every motorcyclist he encounters. Shala heard that, and it was all over for the day. No ride to the top on bikes. She wouldn't even park hers, and ride shotgun behind me. Tried to explain to her the science behind two full grown adults sitting atop an 800+ pound motorcycle and how it'd take 100 mph winds to budge us sideways, but she wouldn't budge. We spent the day shopping in and around the Idaho Springs, CO town instead. Next time some ranger tries to tell me that BS, I'll tell him to STFU.

Riding Mt. Evans is still on my bucket list.

I love that area. Riding there would be a blast. It's been forever since I've been. I wonder if the old watering hole in Colorado springs is still open?

Next time you come to Colorado let me know. I live here and always looking to ride with others

:punk: I'll try to remember.

Train460 and Gigi are talking about doing a full week in Colo with us next year some time. Don't have any idea of dates or planned routes yet though. I want to do/see it all again though. Luv me some 7 falls, and Garden of the Gods. Also luv Mt. Evans, and the Idaho Springs area. Not to mention the entire Estes Park and Rocky Mtn National Park areas. Hwy 34 from Loveland up through the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park. Devil's Gulch Rd out of Estes.....................the list goes on and on and on.......

Latest posts

Back