pingel electric shifter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Pro Chassie air shifter for mine but my bike is still in pieces.You could get 3 of them for that price.

Shawn, did you actually installed it and use it on your bike?
How is it? does it work flawlessly? or had problems with it?
is it up & down shifter?
I might consider something like that , I shift toooooo much in surface streets or is it only useful for drag racing setting?
Thanks

shawn kloker said:
I bought a Pro Chassie air shifter for mine but my bike is still in pieces.You could get 3 of them for that price.

I haven't put it on yet.Remember I laid mine down,Then I pulled the heads to have them ported and cam sprockets slotted.bigger cams too.I bought the air shifter and a dyna 3000 but haven't put anything back together yet.I even bought new tins since my tank cover got dented.It will be 98 black now.I will repair the dents and repaint my 88 tins red again.I do love bright red.I think I am going to have to put some red skulls or flames onto the black.

The air shifter that I bought will mostly be used at the strip although I also bought an onboard compressor from Rod.I can pump up the air when ever I want and flip a switch to activate the 2 stage limiter and leave a red light just like leaving the line at the strip. 2 stage limiters are the ticket,with the clutch pulled in the motor will stay at the set rpm till the clutch is released then it releases the ignition to full power.The throttle is already wide open.Then you just hit the airshift button everytime the shift light lights up.When this is all done and hooked up I will not be afraid of any bike around here light to light.This is how my drag bike is set up also,makes it sweeter than shit going down the strip.

Ibrahim,this is an electric over air shifter.With 2 solenoids and 2 buttons it could shift up and down.The coolest thing is full power shifts.The shifter hesitates the ignition for a fraction of a second to let the tranny go into gear then full power again with the throttle wide open the whole time.

firefly said:
Shawn, did you actually installed it and use it on your bike?
How is it? does it work flawlessly? or had problems with it?
is it up & down shifter?
I might consider something like that , I shift toooooo much in surface streets or is it only useful for drag racing setting?
Thanks

My question is: would it be a good thing to have for sane surface street riding ( no full throttle ) and does that mean the shifting happens without the clutch disengaging?, sorry I am ignorant about shifters
I will not need the full power shifting going 40 mph, I just want to make shifting a little easier and quicker.

shawn kloker said:
Ibrahim,this is an electric over air shifter.With 2 solenoids and 2 buttons it could shift up and down.The coolest thing is full power shifts.The shifter hesitates the ignition for a fraction of a second to let the tranny go into gear then full power again with the throttle wide open the whole time.

I would say no then.I enjoy the shifting.I only want the air shifter to go faster at the strip.

Thanks, this is what I was thinking too, clutch shifting gives much more control especially in tight traffic.

Shawn clocker said:
I would say no then.I enjoy the shifting.I only want the air shifter to go faster at the strip.

Our vmax transmissions are not the freindliest for any air or electric shifter. Though a strong solenoid can shift it to the next higher gear the cut of the trans does not really allow downshifting.

Basically, the elecric or air is just for the drag strip.

Sean

Since my tranny was back cut it does not downshift as smoothly.I usually blip the throttle before downshifting.Its not really necessary but it does go in easier and I think it sounds cool.

Here is the info from Pingel on the model you are asking about. Basically it IS for everyday use for just about any bike. It has a controller that does "blip" the ignition to unload the tranny for shifting. If it had a problem working on a bike I think it would be on "full power" shifts.....

I have thought about using the Holeshot powershifter just to blip mine for full power, clutchless manual shifts at the strip but am kinda worried about hosing up my tranny....

From Pingel....

"These kits are designed for throttle ?on? clutchless up shifting with a single push of the button. Down shifting is also achieved by a push of the downshift button. Clutch use is required for starting and stopping only. Suited for Sport Bikes, Drag Bikes, Customs, Cruisers, and Touring Bikes, these kits are also the perfect match for male and female riders who own bikes that require a lot of hand strength to pull in the clutch lever, typically found on H-D models. OEM shifting ability is retained even after installation.

Pingel All Electric Up/Down Shifter kits include a dual button handlebar control, a shift cylinder plated with a lustrous chrome finish, bolt-on shift cylinder support bracket and the state of the art control module which sends a quick and reliable signal from the button control to the shift cylinder without any delay. Also included is the ignition kill module which momentarily interrupts the ignition coils, and step-by-step instructions with photos for easy installation.

We have videos here showing many of our shifters in operation and with each kit, where available."

I've been doing a lot of thinking about these vs the air shifters, and can't make up my mind. I'm not ready to buy one yet, but I saw this on Pingle's web site and thought it would be pretty cool to have along with the electric shifter (if you could get it set up correctly)
http://www.pingelonline.com/eshift_autoshift.htm

Not sure if it would be legal at the track though?

Jeff

I dont see the value in an air shifter nor an electric up and down shifter for your daily street cruiser unless your handicapped. My buddy lost his left leg due to a chick ran into him he wanted to ride still after but with his prostetic leg it wouldnt allow him to use an ankle movement, so I made him a shifter with a heel part to it up shifts were made by kicking the back of the shifter and down shifts were done by kicking down the front part.. Pretty easy to use with a prostetic I was also going to make him an electric shifter with two mac valves and use a push pull air cylinder but he didnt want to do all that.
The only other reason I can see using an auto shifter air / electric is either for road racers where they are constantly changing gears in a race situation or at the dragstrip on a bike so you can his 2nd gear and mostly for consistency.. Other than that please explain the benifits to this shifter for street use?
A basic airshifter can be made for around 100.00 (Non approved NHRA air canister) and additonal onboard mini compressor for an additonal 35.00

I would be getting this for the drag bike, and if I do want to ride it on the road, it would be nice to just keep my feet on the rear pegs and don't worry about shifting. Just thought it would be good to get a discussion going about pros/cons of this unit.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about these vs the air shifters, and can't make up my mind. I'm not ready to buy one yet, but I saw this on Pingle's web site and thought it would be pretty cool to have along with the electric shifter (if you could get it set up correctly)
http://www.pingelonline.com/eshift_autoshift.htm

Not sure if it would be legal at the track though?

Jeff

I have the Pingle electric shifter on my Warrior and it works as advertised. Hold the throttle wide open and hit the up shift button, no issue super fast up shifts with no drama. It is a hell of a lot of fun. I have raced several of my friends on the street and it makes a difference. When they go to shift I jump out a bike length on them each time. It will also down shift, but that takes some practice.

I have the shifter for the V-Max just haven't installed it yet, maybe in the spring.

Very easy to install, great product for me.

When they go to shift I jump out a bike length on them each time..

If your jumping out a full bike length on your buddy when he makes a shift then your buddy must not how to ride very well... I mayh do this test in the spring I have all the stuff to make an airshifter,, and I can tell you in all honesty I couldnt see an airshifter picking up no more then .05 in the 1/8 mile.. a bike length is about .010 that would be close to a half second if thats what your claiming

WOW I can run from 6.80's to 6.50 by just using an airshifter... I doubt it.. listen to shifts as I go down the track in this video you cant even hear me shift into 2nd no airshifter just clutchless shifts..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjVuLKWYDGE

delete

Holy crap, I just looked at it. $750!!! now thats a bit of coin.

If there are atleast 3 or 4 people serious about an electric up and down shifter I will look into making one, I know I can make this and the mounts for a VMAX less then 450.00

Danny, do you want to be my guinee pig in this product?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back