Pinion Video - Too Loose?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justa6MB

Reaction score
I have a 2007 with 3500 miles. And I'm not sure if its gotten worse but after putting on my windshield some drive line noise has become very apparent. It's worse at higher speed for sure, in both 4th and 5th gears. So after reading I decided I'd pull the wheel and rear diff and check the pinion bolt. When I drained the fluid it appeared it hasn't been changed for a while. It was quite dark and lots of crud on the drain plug. So I realize an oil change might help...but I kept going as it seemed fairly easy. When I got to this point I got stumped. Is this the actual pinion nut/shaft? Or do I have to go deeper? And I couldn't get the large slotted thing out which I assume turns out with a special tool and releases the bearing? Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T61jxuuGy8

That can't be good. Pinion bearings are normally set up with a preload, so there should be zero radial play.

Thanks for the replies. Gear lash is very minimal for sure. I'd guess it's between 4 and 8 thou. Radial play seems low to me as well, very minimal. It's the up and down or in and out ;-) that seems excessive. Is there a special tool to remove the aluminum piece with the 4 slots in it? I tried hitting it with a hammer and screw driver as hard as I want to and it didn't budge. I don't have a service manual for it...
I should add the driveline is quiet under acceleration and deceleration. The noise happens in between.
progress.gif

Oops, one last thing. The nut that goes onto the threads I was pulling on. Is that the nut that can loosen off? If so mine was tight tight...

Your video isn't working for me.

The retainer with the 4 slots has left hand threads. Gotta turn clockwise to loosen it. There is a special toll to remove the retainer. I was able to modify a 4wd hub socket to do the job.

There are 2 bearings on the pinion. A needle bearing on the snout of the pinion and a roller bearing below the retainer.

The pinion nut that sometimes come loose threads right on where your fingers are. It is staked from the factory.

I'd be surprised if the bearings are bad. Not impossible but not very common.

There are links to free OEM and Haynes repair manuals ere on the forum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Gear lash is very minimal for sure. I'd guess it's between 4 and 8 thou. Radial play seems low to me as well, very minimal. It's the up and down or in and out ;-) that seems excessive. Is there a special tool to remove the aluminum piece with the 4 slots in it? I tried hitting it with a hammer and screw driver as hard as I want to and it didn't budge. I don't have a service manual for it...
I should add the driveline is quiet under acceleration and deceleration. The noise happens in between.
progress.gif
Maybe these will help.

http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

http://www.vmoa.net/PartNumbers.pdf

progress.gif

There is usually no in and out play allowed.

Ok thanks again. The drawing helps. Could the final drive shim be too loose? Or an issue with a ring gear shim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back