piston options.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
i've been wanting to build a new motor and have finally gotten around to it. I was planing on a re-ring rebuild with all of the typical fixes for all of its built in problems.
After pulling several motors down and collecting up the best parts out of the pile I am left with a top end dilemma. I have a block that has bores falling right in the middle of the range 2.985 and pistons at 2.989 (based on my mediocre measuring skills). leaving a .004 piston/wall clearance. Kinda out of spec. (.002-.003)

Is this an acceptable marriage? In my kz/gs world .002 is where i would go to. This is my first vmax build and and would like it to not also be my second.

If pistons and a bore are needed thats fine but i would rather go with something bigger. It seems so far that mtc's 1290/1327 kits are 14:1. a bit high for street use. I can't find anything from wiseco or je on their sites. I saw somewhere a 1500 kit for around a grandish. i quess im looking for a lower compression big bore kit.

Any thoughts? I figured around 2500 for parts was good. Labor and machine work is free.

Last edited:
i've been wanting to build a new motor and have finally gotten around to it. I was planing on a re-ring rebuild with all of the typical fixes for all of its built in problems.
After pulling several motors down and collecting up the best parts out of the pile I am left with a top end dilemma. I have a block that has bores falling right in the middle of the range 2.985 and pistons at 2.989 (based on my mediocre measuring skills). leaving a .004 piston/wall clearance. Kinda out of spec. (.002-.003)

Is this an acceptable marriage? In my kz/gs world .002 is where i would go to. This is my first vmax build and and would like it to not also be my second.

If pistons and a bore are needed thats fine but i would rather go with something bigger. It seems so far that mtc's 1290/1327 kits are 14:1. a bit high for street use. I can't find anything from wiseco or je on their sites. I saw somewhere a 1500 kit for around a grandish. i quess im looking for a lower compression big bore kit.

Any thoughts? I figured around 2500 for parts was good. Labor and machine work is free.
Can't help you on the measurements, but if you were looking to spend on the 1500 you're going to have to prepare for head work also. The stock head will need some 'opening up' if it's going to have a 1500 under it. With the 1260 and the 1327, I believe the stock heads can go on totally stock.

I believe Sean M. would be the one to chime in on all the details about piston kits and full engine rebuilds and parts.
It would suck to go directly to the piston manufacturers and then find out they sold you stuff and offered no real support as far as what works with what. People that have directly been involved with not only the parts, but the build itself, would be much more benefit to you (Sean M. or PCW Racing, as opposed to just getting stuff from Weisco or JE).

Vinnie

i'm not really in any hurry. I was going to get ahold of mtc today and find out how much i can take off of their 1290 and 1327 pistons to get the comp. down to a more streetable ratio.

Im going to look further into the venture1300 option and see whats involved with that.

ill figure it out sooner or later. The harder it is the more fun it is to ride.

ill have to get with him i quess. i already talked with him about rings and gaskets for it before i figured out it was too loose.
im really suffering from the "for few dollars more" dilemma.

i found an engine builds spreadsheet from 2012 buried in the forum from mr.morley. answers virtually every question i have. Unfortunately the prices are 2012 and possibly some of the parts are no longer availabl. does a new version of this exist here somewhere?

Back