Places I get to ride...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
xl500ride.jpg

Yup, it was a fun ride.

I won't lie. I did think about jumping the bike off the edge. Would have been fun for about 4 seconds. Fun would last longer with a parachute! Evil Knievel anyone?

Bike is an old XL500r with a rebuilt top end. It's such a fun bike for trail riding. Tons of torque and you don't have to wrap it up for horsepower.

You wouldn't believe the miles and miles of trails there are around here for this kind of riding.

I used to have a Yamaha IT250 fun bike you dont have to tell me about trail riding, I miss it.

Damn, that makes me want to go look for a dirt bike...Nice pic and I envy your riding area! :punk:

Yes, indeed. I love riding both the trails and the streets on my various bikes. Thanks for the comments. Nice pics - I envy your avatars....

Yep, like most of us it reminds us of are younger days of trail ridding. and motorcross racing. did both for almost 20 year's
untill I had more broken bones than non broken ones. But sure miss it. Anyway hope you have good brakes.

Anyway hope you have good brakes.

Thanks for the comments. I stayed away from 2 strokers so I've managed to avoid the injuries that come with them. At one early point of my riding career I had the chance to buy an early model Honda CR480. I rode it around a city block, never getting it into any power band, and wisely walked away. That bike had the most nasty insane power I have ever experienced - and I didn't even get it going! That was one of the better choices I made, as I would have been going from a TC125 to a CR480....

Oh... the brakes.... my XL500 has a drum brake up front, but it's 2 finger braking and she locks right up..... rear brake.... well... useless....

My old man bought the bad boy new in '86, the CR500. I was 4 years old then, and it bit him just like it bit everybody.

NICE! Is that a paved road in the distance... That would be good for say... VMax riding?

Where is the picture from?

Indeed it is a paved road. It's I-70 running east/west through Utah. I will have the VMax on that road within a few weeks.

HERE IS MY PLACE THAT I RIDE... in the good north part of Idaho, not that crappy desert part down in south Idaho

Attachments

• my riding place (Small).jpg
    my riding place (Small).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 10
Hello,

I found that the V-Max is actually quite good to ride on sand / gravel roads. When riding there the attitude should be something like riding a big enduro, not a street bike like you treat it on tarmac. The speeds can climb up quickly, though. The other day I was there on hard sand based road and gave it some throttle. When checking the speed clock there was about 170 kph at the moment... But maybe the best part is relatively slow cornering, when you exit the corner with nice slide which continueeeeeessss!

Well, for riding actually quick or fast speeds it can not be compared to any dirt bike or so, but I mean it is far better on this kind of roads as one could expect for a bike like this. So it's kind of a traditional motorcycle - meant for any road. Something very different from the street type bikes of today.

This made me actually reconsider proceeding with radial tyre conversion, as they would definitely not be that good on gravel!

Regards,

AT

Back