Planet Vmax, the Land of the UFO

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnc1go

Reaction score
Been wanting to clean up my bike by losing the factory turn signals and mirrors so I started searching for some stuff. I like the looks of Planet Vmax stuff more than their competition. It looks like I can get an integrated tail light and license plate mount, replacement radiator covers with LED turn signals on the sides, and handlebar mirrors and they seem to be in the ballpark on price. Best thing is, the Mrs gave me her blessing on the purchase. Can anyone with first hand experience tell me why I shouldn't do business with these people?

You're gonna have to search and decide for yourself. Search UFO, or dragstar, or cornell. The original owner, Jon Cornell, died recently. There was bad blood between him and some guys on here. I think his stuff looks good, and his pipes are pretty much the loudest thing you can buy. I never had any dealings with him, but Mike (I think) has taken over the business and is filling orders. I don't know how much of the stuff from the website is still available, but you could always shoot them an email.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the feuds that the late Mr. Cornell has had with other vendors in the past. I have read some of the emails he's written to and about people and I think he could have found better ways to express himself, but the guy loved motorcycles and most of us know people in our circles like this, so it's going to be a hard decision to make when I decide to buy. I will speak to someone on the phone before I place my order to check their professionalism and go from there.

Jon was very passionate about his business. And I agree he was verbal, but at the same time, many others that complain about him being verbal, were just as verbal, maybe not to his face, but definitely in forums or public air. To each his own I guess.

I liked Jon, had good conversation with him about business, guns and just regular personal things. He was a good guy that would help you out, even if you didn't buy his parts, IF he liked you. If you came across as an ass to him, he shut it down fast. That was his personality.

My biggest complaint about people complaining about Jon was his prices. Yes his prices were higher, but you pay for knowledge. Its companies that come in and take that knowledge you worked to gain and sell it at a cheaper price ( albeit less quality materials, over seas manufacturing or whatever ). Jon was good at what he did and I don't think anyone can take that away from him. Maybe his personality wasn't to everyones liking, but his knowledge was well earned.

I hope Mike can continue the business and succeed.

I can only say that some of the products I got from other vendors and some of the products I had from UFO, I wish I would have spent a few dollars more and went with UFO on some of them. One being my exhaust system......

Todd

Why not buy some smaller ticket items and see how it goes. If your comfortable with parts and service, green light to your wallets delight. And then report back your findings to us here.

Been wanting to clean up my bike by losing the factory turn signals and mirrors so I started searching for some stuff. I like the looks of Planet Vmax stuff more than their competition. It looks like I can get an integrated tail light and license plate mount, replacement radiator covers with LED turn signals on the sides, and handlebar mirrors and they seem to be in the ballpark on price. Best thing is, the Mrs gave me her blessing on the purchase. Can anyone with first hand experience tell me why I shouldn't do business with these people?

I won't comment on the vendor, but I can tell you many people have been unhappy with the radiator turn signals. I came up with a better solution (brighter, less expensive). Most have subsequently switched. If you search the StarVmax site for radiator turn signals, all the information will be there. I'm busy right now but will post you a link later.

Mark

It will always be " Buyer Beware " , no matter what you buy or whom you buy it from.

I do not have a Gen. II , but I have put together a couple of Gen I s and have 2 projects underway. Most of my purchases of aftermarket and stock pieces have had the pleasure of running through or by Sean Morley. I have never had a problem that was not taken care of and I have never had a second thought about buying from him. His knowledge and expertise is generous , fair and balanced , as he knows the product , what the pros and cons are , AND WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH !

PRICELESS :punk::punk::punk:

It will always be " Buyer Beware " , no matter what you buy or whom you buy it from.

I do not have a Gen. II , but I have put together a couple of Gen I s and have 2 projects underway. Most of my purchases of aftermarket and stock pieces have had the pleasure of running through or by Sean Morley. I have never had a problem that was not taken care of and I have never had a second thought about buying from him. His knowledge and expertise is generous , fair and balanced , as he knows the product , what the pros and cons are , AND WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH !

PRICELESS :punk::punk::punk:

+1....I agree 100%. Ease of mind goes a long way with me. To know I'm giving my hard earned money to someone I can trust, truly is priceless.

I will do that Patmax. I think I am going to try PlanetVmax in hopes that they deliver good. The place has a got a bad rap over the years, but if their stuff is good, then I see no reason not to give them some good PR and help their business out.

I will do that Patmax. I think I am going to try PlanetVmax in hopes that they deliver good. The place has a got a bad rap over the years, but if their stuff is good, then I see no reason not to give them some good PR and help their business out.

I have "never" had any issues with Mike or Jon at UFO, since Jon passed, Mike is on it! You should have no issues...

Sent by the Verizon 4G Data Network

Here's my 2 cents. I bought an exhaust from home a few years ago. Me or my mechanic couldn't get it mounted. We tried everything. I called Jon he tried to guide us but there was something wrong with the exhaust. He refunded my money no questions asked. I had bought a fork brace, drag bars and led taillight from him when I first bought my bike, before I ever knew about all the issues with him. So my experiences were all positive.
RIP John !!!!

I was probably the last guy on here to buy parts from Jon , I was aware that he was not doing well but did not realize how bad he was doing or conversations were just like he was jumping n his bike and heading for a ride after we got done on the phone .
I bought a bike that was in his shop the owner could not complete the mods , guy fell on hard times and had to sell the the bike and thats who I picked up .
Jon knew the bike well , was tuned and dynoed at UFO .
I was in communication with Jon the last 6 months of his life , I was buying the parts to complete the 2007 vmax and he was not trying to sell me anything I did not need but was a wealth of Vmax knowledge .
Every part I received from UFO was high quality , the last part was delayed ... I called Jon 3 weeks before he died and ordered a swingarm and shooting the shit , then a month later I called up and asked for him wondering where my swingarm was , found out he passed .
The swingarm made it to me , I'm a fabricator by trade and they did a more than quality job .
I also have read the good and bad reviews , if they turn out the same work as I received I can't see why I would not order from them.
Just my 2 cents .

I never dealt with Jon, but I have talked/ emailed Mike at UFO. I wouldn't or couldn't say anything negative. I have UFO 4-1 Drag exhaust on my Gen 1. Instructions confused me, but Mike made sense of what I was doing wrong.. Sometimes we don't really read what instructions say, but think we know what we are doing. Low and behold the instructions did tell me what I didn't do. I love my exhaust. I give Kudos to Both Sean and Mike. So far they are both big help.

I bought my UFO original (the first designs he sold) 4-2 exhaust for $500 brand new in the box from a guy who said it would not fit.
Having installed a lot of headers back in the day (huge pain in the ass on some cars, you'll swear it won't fit; until suddenly it does) I took a leap of faith and bought it.

It didn't fit as easily as it should have but with a little persuasion it went right on. I'd say one of the rear down tubes was slightly off, but not enough to quibble over.

I'd do business again anytime (and have)

If not for the one man slander campaign from a guy who left the inner spacer tube (and later admitted it) out on a rear wheel and blamed the resultant failure on UFO the company would have a lot better reputation.

People piled on due to Jons sometimes poor bedside manner (to say the least, after all he used to put some nasty stuff in his website about competing vendors, very poor business practice, and has childishly feuded with just about everyone) and away we went, demonstrating the power of the internet.

Cycle one off, who I will also still do business with, has hosed a lot
more people (with a good heart and good intentions) and everyone still takes up for them. (Including me) cause Toms a nice guy and his products are good.

Jons sometimes poor bedside manner (to say the least, after all he used to put some nasty stuff in his website about competing vendors, very poor business practice, and has childishly feuded with just about everyone)

Rusty that was the thing, the main thing, that turned me and a lot of other people off. I also had a couple of nice conversations with Jon, bought some of his stuff and never had an issue. But he said a lot of nasty things, and things that were flat out lies about people that I like and respect. The way he handled many issues was ridiculously immature, and terrible business practice. I don't have the makeup to look past stuff like that.....after seeing this bad side of him several times, I decided to never to buy anything from UFO again.

Latest posts

Back