Planning on buying a VMAx 2007 - Advice please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy69

Reaction score
hey guys,

after lusting after the max for about 20 years and riding anything from a 100 cc to a 750 Katana and CBR 900 am about to put a downpayment on the 07 model.

after reading about the new max i'm just a little confused...

should i jump right in and buy the last production year of a classic or should i stay and go for the new one...

decisions, decisions... advice please from you diehards would be great.

I just bought a 2007. I love it. If it's the last year of the current Max, so be it. It's perfected. They say you should never buy the first year of a new model because there are always things that need to be worked out. I don't know. Which is more valuable--a 67 Vette or a 68? Everything else being equal, I'd buy the 67, but that's just me.

Plus, I'll ride the thing til I can't or it gives up, so I'm not looking to keep it the way a collector would want it with next to no miles. When I was shopping I passed on a 20th anniversary 05 numbered 206 with 85 miles on it. The guy wanted $9999, so I bought an 07 for $9650. I'm good with that.

Final analysis--It's a personal decision. Best to ya.

I struggled with the same decision, but bought a 2007 about a month ago. I'm happy I did, as I didn't have a bike at the time. However, had I had something to ride, and if I were convinced that in '08 the 'new' VMax would legitimately be out, I have to admit I would have waited.

I'm enjoying the heck out of my 'Max now, but man, I suspect I'll have my nose pressed against the window of my Yamaha dealer should a 'new' 'Max come along next summer. ;)

Jayhawk said:
I'm enjoying the heck out of my 'Max now, but man, I suspect I'll have my nose pressed against the window of my Yamaha dealer should a 'new' 'Max come along next summer. ;)
I susspect alot of us are like that.

Already got every Yamaha dealership in the North island of NZ holding the first test ride for me if they happen to get one in.

Waylander said:
I susspect alot of us are like that.

Already got every Yamaha dealership in the North island of NZ holding the first test ride for me if they happen to get one in.
They let you test ride the Max? Wow, not here. Besides, having the first edition and the new edition makes for a nice choice when deciding which one to take to raise some hell. :rocket bike:

mikemax04 said:
They let you test ride the Max? Wow, not here. Besides, having the first edition and the new edition makes for a nice choice when deciding which one to take to raise some hell. :rocket bike:
I was the first in the country other than journalists to ride the 2006 R6 and K6 GSXR600.

First thing I do when I move to a new place is become mates with the local bike shop owners.

Waylander said:
I was the first in the country other than journalists to ride the 2006 R6 and K6 GSXR600.

First thing I do when I move to a new place is become mates with the local bike shop owners.
LOL... good advice!!

personally I dont think buying a new max is a good idea. Why pay 10K or more for a bike you can get used for 7K in great shape that is exactly the same.

personal preference I guess

KRL0215 said:
personally I dont think buying a new max is a good idea. Why pay 10K or more for a bike you can get used for 7K in great shape that is exactly the same.

I second that especially with the new one on its way, I am for a good used one.
________
marijuana dispensary

Last edited:
KRL0215 said:

Perhaps you should trying finding a 'good used one' within a reasonable distance, sometime. I looked for months, and didn't want to miss out on anymore of the fall riding season. If I lived in the Northeast, I would have had better luck. But here in the Dallas area, there few to choose from.

I guess Ken you can look at this in two ways. On the one hand, a good looking used bike is cheaper BUT you never know how it was treated or abused. A new bike costs more but has that feeling with it of not being messed with. It might be just the way one's luck is and mine tells me to buy new, which COULD be cheaper in the long run. After all, the Max is a drag bike and many do and then sell. Sleeping good without worrying is worth something. Financial ability also enters into it.

Jayhawk said:
Perhaps you should trying finding a 'good used one' within a reasonable distance, sometime. I looked for months, and didn't want to miss out on anymore of the fall riding season. If I lived in the Northeast, I would have had better luck. But here in the Dallas area, there few to choose from.

I spent over a year looking for a used one and was actually only able to personally "look" at 2 bikes....

I bought the second one sight unseen over the phone with the condition that it be in the condition as stated over the phone...

I drove from Baytown to Ft. Worth to pick it up...285 miles....

It turned out well but I can see how a person could give up on finding a good used one....

Jayhawk said:

I spent over a year looking for a used one and was actually only able to personally "look" at 2 bikes....

Ended up buying the second one sight unseen over the phone with the condition that it be in the condition as stated over the phone...

Drove from Baytown to Ft. Worth to pick it up...285 miles....

It turned out well but I can see how a person could give up on finding a good used one....

Jayhawk said:

I can't think of a better way to make use of the remaining riding season than flying out somewhere, picking up a bike and riding it back.
Granted flights in the states are way more expensive than here lol.

i understand the whole piece of mind when buying new. But I cant justify spenind 11k for what is basically 20 year old technology. But if I had more money maybe I could see it better.

I guess alot does depend on area too, if I wanted a used Max I could find one easy...around here

KRL0215 said:
i understand the whole piece of mind when buying new. But I cant justify spenind 11k for what is basically 20 year old technology. But if I had more money maybe I could see it better.

I guess alot does depend on area too, if I wanted a used Max I could find one easy...around here
A wise old man once said "don't forget to spend your children's inheritance". I thought that was a great statement. There comes a time in your life where buying cheaper is not priority number one.

bought mine on ebay....sight unseen too (except for pictures on ebay...)
2,709.00 ....1985.
Flew down to Orlando Fl and drove it straight back to NY!
(approx 1,400 miles)
SORE ASS....lol...but WELL worth it!
BEAUTIFUL bike!
I'd do it again too!
Randy

mikemax04 said:
A wise old man once said "don't forget to spend your children's inheritance". I thought that was a great statement. There comes a time in your life where buying cheaper is not priority number one.

yeah I hear you, cant wait to get myself to that point. But hey, Im still fairly young

Latest posts

Back