Planning Our Summer Vacation Already

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
So.......For quite some time now i've been wanting to do a trip to the Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio and visit the AMA Hall of Fame.....This is finally our year (me & the wife). I attached my planned route and wanted to ask for some advice on a couple issues:

First, to my PA Vmax brothers is there any place that's a cool stop-over near the Clearfield, PA area to stop for the night. After 7 hours driving, i'm
sure i'll probably not be in the mood for much more than a hot shower & dinner but I like to have options.

Spending Fri, Sat & Sun at "The Event". Plan to spectate plenty of racing, peruse the swap meets, check out the auctions & hopefully participate and definately check out the "real" bike show in the parking lot. I would like suggestions on some nice roads to ride in that area for later at night.

Monday go down to the HOF for the day. Take the bike, weather permiting. Have to find some nice roads down there and back.

Tues/Wed do Niagara Falls. Have to do the Canadian side which most people recommend. Bring the bike?

Also, as we get closer, maybe we can make plans to meet at a time and place to any of you that plan to be there too. Will the VMOA tent be there?

So, I'm stoked as you can imagine. Already have my hotel reservations in
Ohio made so I'm on my way with the planning stage!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...uOQILObmiTG9qrlB2ggYHQ&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=p&z=7

Another route across Pennsylvania, if your wife and you prefer scenic routes and have the time, is #6, which runs across the northern part of the state. Recommended in PA. tourist literature as one of the best biker-friendly roads to travel.
I rode the Mansfield to Port Jervis section in 2010, it didn't disappoint!
If my travel plans for this year work out, I will pick up Route 6 again at Mansfield, but will head west this time around.
The lake Erie drive is nice as well, if you take #20.
Cheers!

Another route across Pennsylvania, if your wife and you prefer scenic routes and have the time, is #6, which runs across the northern part of the state. Recommended in PA. tourist literature as one of the best biker-friendly roads to travel.
I rode the Mansfield to Port Jervis section in 2010, it didn't disappoint!
If my travel plans for this year work out, I will pick up Route 6 again at Mansfield, but will head west this time around.
The lake Erie drive is nice as well, if you take #20.
Cheers!

There we go....just the kind of feedback i'm looking for....keep it coming....

Mike, those burgers are MASSIVE!! :punk:

Put-in-Bay http://www.pibinfo.com/directions.html is an Erie Island that is a quaint place to visit. In the 1950's they used to race sports cars on the public roads, along w/races in Torrey Pines CA & Watkins Glen (they started there in the 1940's). The Collier family, as-in Collier Co. in SW FL was racing at places like that & tragically, one of the Collier brothers lost his life doing just that at a street course. The Colliers bought most of Briggs Cunningham's auto museum in Long Island & moved it to Naples FL. Briggs Cunningham owned Bridgehampton Racecourse on Long Island & raced all-over the world, he even built sports cars for racing and road use. He favored big displacement American V-8's (look up his Le Mans entry, Le Monstre).

Mike,
I also agree with the others about rt#6.

why dont you take rt #6 and stop over at wellsboro for the night. wake up and eat breakfast at the wellsboro diner

then check out the grand canyon of pa...http://pacanyon.com/

All kinds of great things to do and roads to ride around mid-ohio! As Fire-Medic stated, to the North of mid-ohio is Put-in-bay and Kelley's Islands....they have great winery's and resturants. Cedar Point amusement park is in Sandusky (where the ferry leaves for the islands) and boasts some of the best roller coasters in the world....if that's your thing! Rt 60 runs from the lake all the way down South to Marietta and is a great road to ride. Rt.555 is a great road also, plenty of turns and scenery. Another good road is Rt.83 heading North out of Millersburg. Good luck with your trip!

Yeah, I wondered if someone was gonna mention Cedar Point & its rollercoasters.

All kinds of great things to do and roads to ride around mid-ohio! As Fire-Medic stated, to the North of mid-ohio is Put-in-bay and Kelley's Islands....they have great winery's and resturants. Cedar Point amusement park is in Sandusky (where the ferry leaves for the islands) and boasts some of the best roller coasters in the world....if that's your thing! Rt 60 runs from the lake all the way down South to Marietta and is a great road to ride. Rt.555 is a great road also, plenty of turns and scenery. Another good road is Rt.83 heading North out of Millersburg. Good luck with your trip!

There's always the stop in Buffalo for wings, Beef on weck. When you hit the free section of rt 90, just before you get to Buffalo, Your about 15 or 20 minutes from at least 3 of us on the board. Myself, Bill Seward, EvilD. What are your actual Dates for your trip.

I dont know much about pit stops along your route but once you get to the Mid-O event you gotta look me up. I am there every year in the same spot. A friend of mine and I shut down both of our companies for 10 days to do this event. We take all of our employees as a kind of working vacation so there are usually about 8-10 of us that trip up there from central Texas. Its one of the best events of the year and the best for the races and swap meet.

I will have to look these routes up on the map. Thanks for the suggestions.

There's always the stop in Buffalo for wings, Beef on weck. When you hit the free section of rt 90, just before you get to Buffalo, Your about 15 or 20 minutes from at least 3 of us on the board. Myself, Bill Seward, EvilD. What are your actual Dates for your trip.

So far it's looking like:

7/18 Leave for Wellsboro, PA
7/19 Arrive Mid-Ohio
7/20 Enjoy
7/21 Enjoy
7/22 Enjoy
7/23 AMA HoF
7/24 Leave for Niagara
7/25 Enjoy
7/26 Head for home
7/27 Home to decompress

So I'll be in your guys' neighborhood 7/24 & 7/25......

I dont know much about pit stops along your route but once you get to the Mid-O event you gotta look me up. I am there every year in the same spot. A friend of mine and I shut down both of our companies for 10 days to do this event. We take all of our employees as a kind of working vacation so there are usually about 8-10 of us that trip up there from central Texas. Its one of the best events of the year and the best for the races and swap meet.

My schedule's listed above.....No one's answered yet if the VMOA tent will be there or not but meeting up with you guys is def a possibility.....

My schedule's listed above.....No one's answered yet if the VMOA tent will be there or not but meeting up with you guys is def a possibility.....

We reserve our same spot every year on the day that registration is allowed. We are always at the top row right at the entrance to the overflow parking lot in the main swap meet area. If you want to find me PM me for my cell number or ask most of the regular swap meet people where the guys from Texas are. Most people there know who we are. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...Well almost

Back