Please answer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthair88

Reaction score
I'm new here,just bought a max a couple a months ago, ( sweet cherry condition 85 w/ 12k on it )I want to know rear tire options, is washer swap a smart thing to do? is there any 170's that i can put on but w/ out washer swap? ( FOR SURE )
I want quality, not worried if it cost more.

I already did crimp soldering, and a new battery, increased voltage 9/10ths of a volt. Does anyone have any must do ideas that I'm not aware of? or adjustment mod's? suspension? tire presure's? mods for handleing improvments? ect... Ive already put her in turns hard enough to make'r shake like a dog $hitting a chain. does'nt realy corner the greatest but tears the hell out of a straight line..lol.

Thanx all
Shorthair........

I threw a Metzeler on mine (86) with no washer swap, and no problem. Even if I have to swap the washer on the next one, there's no chance in hell I'm going back to the Dunlop!

I'm 5'10" and 150lbs so this may not apply to you, but I keep 4-6lbs in the front forks. I keep the rebound on 5 and the spring on 2. I can scrape every bit of aluminum I want from the pegs with no shake.

Sooner or later you'll want a four brush starter, or clean yours out every couple of years.

On the battery: next time check out the Odyssey. Amazing cranking ability.

Some people ground the rectifier directly to the battery. Mine didn't appreciate it at all. I think I lost .2 volts doing that.

Edit: with that few miles, and that many years... you're going to be replacing rubber parts.

Welcome to the world of the Vmax. It's never finished, and you always think that you can scare yourself just a little more.

Thanx joz, info helps, what size metzler did u put on ( w/ out washer swap)? btw, some of the rubber parts have been replaced, piped-jetted-filltered also, UFO pipes make it sound like small block v-8, damn thing is an animal.

Metzeler ME880 170/80-15
I was wasting Dunlops left and right and still had chicken strips.
Now my chicken strips are 1/8" wide and she handles like a 90's FZR 600. Not great, and I have to push it, but she'll do enough to keep up with my buddies.

They're pigs in the corners, but they can take the twisties if you push 'em.

I'm running a Shinko Tourmaster, 170 wide. I just went out and looked; I have 1/4" clearance on the left and about 3/4" on the right.

Let me know if you need me to give you any more info. It's just sitting out there. :)

Latest posts

Back