Please help I'm stalling at highway speeds

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucci999

Reaction score
So I bought my Max about a year ago, in running but not riding condition the clutch wouldn't disengage so shifting was impossible. I rebuilt the slave and master clutch cylinders and boom 26 bucks and 1 weekend later the bike was running again. Now the person i bought it from said it had K&N pod filters when he bought it and it ran like crap so he restored the box and the filter and the jets to stock. and it was during this repair the clutch went fubar. (i have a receipt for the carb clean) After I rebuilt the clutch side the bike was great other then being stupid fast and getting me a speeding ticket 1 time so far.

I have this weird hesitation at 4000-4500 rpms where if i crack the throttle is bogs down for a quarter of a second and then launches me forward. I just dealt with that for the most part and lived with it and treated it as an, are you sure you want to get arrested hesitation.

But a few months ago i was coming back on the turn pike and I started to lose power. It was kind of weird, and then i lost all power, I pulled in the clutch and the rpms went to zero. Pulled over, turned the bike off and then back on heard the fuel pump kick in and boom started right up. Rode again and then 3-5 minutes later same thing. I was only a few miles from my exit so I did this a few more times and then was on back roads and the bike was fine. Let it sit over the winter.

Started it up the other day after a battery charge and it started fine. Rode it around the country side and no issues. went on a 2 hour ride through a state park with a girl on the back and had a great time. Dropped her off took the high way home died. Three times. got off the highway and it was fine. I'm not sure what is going. I'm doing a shot gun clean this upcoming weekend but would like to know if anyone else has run into the stalling (I'm assuming fuel starving) issue. What should I be looking at. Also what about the bogging hesitation is this normal or should i be looking at something else other then a shotgun clean.

Note stock exhaust with some holes drilled into the baffle, not sure how much less restriction that offers but wanted to share that too.

I assume you have a fuel filter? Remove/change it. Try blowing thru it to see what type of resistance there is.

Shimming the carb needles might help to fatten the air/fuel ratio. That's assuming you don't have slotted needles.

Also, if you have the Dynojet Stage 3 setup, remove it and either return to OEM/stock, or wait until you change-out the complete exhaust system, and then use a Dynojet Stage 7, Factory Pro, or Morley's Muscle carb kit system.

If you look in the stickies under carbs, you should be able to find pictures of the different needles, and you can compare what you now-have to those pics to determine what you need to do.

Did you reinstall the float bowl vent tubes to stock location?

Sounds electrical. Clean and apply di-electric grease to all your connections, especially your fuses. Had this same problem once and turned out it was a light grey haze of corrosion on the 10 amp fuse powering the fuel pump.

This is why I love forums the filter was the only thing on my list to check I'll review all of this when I had a day off and will get back to you all.

Thank you

Back