Please help me find a solution.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alien

Reaction score
I just bought an immaculate condition 2003 VMax with lots of goodies including a stage 7 jet kit and full exhaust with 2" headers.

Firstly, I can't seem to identify this system. Can anyone here identify it?

I'm looking to quiet this bike down A LOT.

While it does sound absolutely incredible, I just can't take the noise while riding, especially since I do take very long rides (my longest, on a ZX-14 was through 38 states over 13 weeks).

Ideally, I'd like to find some quiet slip ons that would require no fabrication.

Maybe just stock canisters from any given bike or something like that.

One consideration I have is if I put on something quiet, will that impede the running performance of the bike? If I lose some power, that's ok (I have a ninja 1000 for my speed fix). I just want the bike to run smoothly & reliably. And quietly!

If a full stock exhaust or quiet slip ons require no carb fiddling or fabrication, that would be great as I'm trying to get this bike hushed up without having to spend much money.

Please chime in with suggestions, trade offers, etc.

I'll post a proper new member post shortly. But for now I'm going to go tinker on the bike and patiently await your responses.

Thanks!

7c9453a95625c729ce34453cb6e8ac45.jpg

Greetings, Alien. I'm sure that you've come in peace.
The 2003 model v-max is by far the best model year:biglaugh:
To quiet the bike down, I'm sure most owners will agree that going back to stock mufflers will be your best course of action, and probably the least expensive ( there are lots of OEM cans for sale, on this site and others.)
Stock mufflers with stage 7 may require re-jetting, the carb gurus will eventually chime in on this.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Stock mufflers would quiet it down, but you would have to change the headers as well. You can swap cans (mufflers) to something that isnt as loud. Firemedic has a good thread about a "frankencanister" of mating a different can to full headers.

So if you go back to the stock exhaust, you WILL have to change jets in the carbs......and maybe needles as well.

Allen,
I see you are from Milford, this wouldn't happen to be Milford Michigan? If so I happen to be just down the road from you in South Lyon Twp.

Not sure what exhaust that is. I'd guess an old UFO. How big are the outlets on the mufflers?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think a return to stock specs is what you're gonna be happiest with. Stock exhaust, durable & long-lasting, polish it frequently to prevent inevitable corrosion, the front header pipes get it bad if you don't keep 'em cleaned & polished.

The Stage 7 shouldn't be a big deal to 'reverse' on your carbs, if you aren't handy in doing stuff like that, contact 'dannymax' or Sean Morley (Morley's Muscle) and maybe you could work an exchange for a stock set of carbs w/a bit of $$.

The stock bike in exhaust and carburation works well, it's just that the stock exhaust is heavy, and a lot of guys are willing to put up w/the increased aftermarket exhaust noise to gain 10-15% more power. A stock VMax will give you an honest 110 RWHP, some, a bit more, or less. That's enough to get you 11 second 1/4 mile times, or better if you're better! The stock exhaust is nice & quiet.

I'm gonna include a link to my Frankencanister exhaust, which I run w/a Stage 7, no problems, nice & quiet, see for yourself. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31804&highlight=frankencanister SOme people say, "way too-big!" However it is Stage 7 and quiet!

Do you have the VBoost butterflies still in-place, or do you have the aluminum Stage 7 replacement tubes to eliminate the VBoost manifold? What many guys will do is just turn on the ignition, let the VBoost cycle to the 'open' position, and unplug the round electrical connector to it under the left fake scoop. This gives you an open all-the-time VBoost which is how the Stage 7 is designed to work from Dynojet (you use the aluminum tubes to eliminate the VBoost manifold). A confession: I have my Stage 7 tuned to run the VBoost. It can be done. CaptainKyle does it too.

Another advantage to keeping the VBoost in-place is that you can synch the carbs much easier, just by re-plugging the round VBoost electrical connector, and letting the butterflies close.

Sell your exhaust you have on there, it's probably worth 500 maybe more, and find someone to GIVE you a stock exhaust for the price of shipping I'm sure that's a do-able deal from someone on here

I think anyone w/a stock exhaust in decent condition is going to want something besides shipping. The altruistic nature of that thought is commendable. Maybe a roached-out, rusty, scrapes and dents system could be had for shipping. That's probably nothing you're gonna want to put on such a clean, newer bike.

The stock exhaust is a good look for the VMax, I am more of a fan of minimal exterior mods, because I think the factory did a great job. The bikes w/all the mods are often very cool-looking, and you know if you've been into these bikes for awhile, it's not cheap to get to that point. For instance, a full aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket wheels, carbs, and bodywork will probably double the price of a really-clean '07! At that level, you're probably better-off just saving a bit to get a nice Gen II, used.

Sell your exhaust you have on there, it's probably worth 500 maybe more, and find someone to GIVE you a stock exhaust for the price of shipping I'm sure that's a do-able deal from someone on here

The bikes w/all the mods are often very cool-looking, and you know if you've been into these bikes for awhile, it's not cheap to get to that point. For instance, a full aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket wheels, carbs, and bodywork will probably double the price of a really-clean '07! At that level, you're probably better-off just saving a bit to get a nice Gen II, used.

Exactly. I figured it up, and with everything that Ive done to the 07, Ive actually doubled the price at which I bought it at in Dec of 11.

I sat on a Gen II at Daytona Bike Week at the Yamaha tent. I'm 5' 10" but cannot stand flat-footed in sneakers on it. One reason to keep my Gen I.

There is a guy on the facebook page looking to trade a stock setup for an aftermarket pipe.

With that being what appers to be a 4-1 exhaust, youll only get so quiet with an aftermarket can. Have you checked the condition of the packing? Its very possible its shot and making the bike louder. I put Holeshots on my UFO 4-2 exhaust and its WORLDS quieter now. Fire-Medics Frankencanister would be a great option for toning things down if thats a 4-1 exhaust.

You could probably find someone looking to ditch a Hyabusa stock 4/2 and adapt their canisters the way I did but for my UFO 4/1. I picked up a set from a Hyabusa just for that reason, to adapt to a stock 4/2, or an aftermarket 4/2.

To ensure you understand what I did, I used a literbike 4/1 stock canister on my UFO 4/1 to make it more-quiet. what I am proposing is using a performance bike 4/2 pair of stock canisters to adapt to your aftermarket 4/2, using a set of home-made adapters. Some exhausts lend themselves to shortening the canister for aesthetic considerations, but the ones I chose to mod did not, so they are the stock length, but quiet.

Back