Please help with turn signal wiring colors!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roodillom

Reaction score
I have a 2007. I am trying to install LED turn signals on it. All of the info that I have found shows the wires from the bike to be colored. Bur mine are black. Two are formed together and one is separate. I think one has a stripe. What's worse is that the signals came with no color codes. The new signals are three wire so they do the running lights as well as brake lights. I am not sure what to do here. Also, many people have said that you need a resistor to slow down the blink of an LED signal. If I do need them what value should I install?

Also, I am installing a tail tidy with light and brake light. I have not taken the seat off. The tail tidy DID come with the wire colors marked out and tells you where to attach them but if they are all black like the front then I am lost again. The Clymer manual shows my turn signal wires in colors when mine are black so I am expecting the same thing out back. Hopefully not though.

I can speak in general on the resister part of your situation. When I went to LED on my Samurai the options were to use a resistor inline or a digital flasher unit, aside from being a fire hazard resistors eliminate the advantage of the reduced power consumption of a LED bulb. A digital flasher will flash at a consistent rate regardless of load where a standard flasher with a bi-metallic strip inside relies on resistance to work correctly.

I'm not sure how others here have done it or what is available in the way of a flasher for the Vmax that will let you do this without using resistors. I have been kicking it around to just to save some juice for heated grips and my Garmin CSX. I hope to learn something here to.

I can speak in general on the resister part of your situation. When I went to LED on my Samurai the options were to use a resistor inline or a digital flasher unit, aside from being a fire hazard resistors eliminate the advantage of the reduced power consumption of a LED bulb. A digital flasher will flash at a consistent rate regardless of load where a standard flasher with a bi-metallic strip inside relies on resistance to work correctly.

I'm not sure how others here have done it or what is available in the way of a flasher for the Vmax that will let you do this without using resistors. I have been kicking it around to just to save some juice for heated grips and my Garmin CSX. I hope to learn something here to.

Do you know who sells the proper flasher? I found one but it was for 09-/16. I will post another question about that.

OK I found a flasher, it eliminates the self cancelling feature but I don't mind that. I just need the wire colors now or else it's trial and error time. hopefully not too much error. If you use resistors it will negate the loss of power drain from the led's and they will also get really hot, maybe even causing a fire.

1. Without factory color codes you will need to "trial and error", but there is a logical method of attack. Do you have a 12 volt test light? Easiest and most visual way to sort out the bike's wires. Hot side first. Find the turn signal wires, the running lamp wires (tailight), then brake wire. Tag them. Ground should be the left over wires that do not activate the test light with the ignition ON, brake pressed and switching between both turn signals.

Since you don't have any wire colors to work with, label ALL wires with their function instead of a color.

2. Use a multi-meter or continuity tester to find the ground wire on the LED turn signal and tag it. You are now down to a 50/50 split between the running lamp wire and the turn signal wire. Touch the tagged ground wire to your negative battery terminal and one of the other wires to the positive battery terminal. Repeat with the remaining wire. The brightest result is your turn signal wire.

3. Make up the wire tags before you start.

4. Do all of this before adding in the resistors.

Everyone else is invited to chime in, critique, or suggest a different method.

OEM color code for 2007 model.....
front signals - black is ground, blue is running lights, green is r.h. signal, brown is l.h. signal
back - black is ground, green is r.h. signal, brown is l.h. signal.
suggestion - in your "join date" info on the upper right of the display, specify your bike's model year. Also, a spare battery is great for bench-testing, often avoiding blown fuses if using the bike's wiring. Don't ask me how I know this.
Cheers, and welcome to the Forum!

OEM color code for 2007 model.....
front signals - black is ground, blue is running lights, green is r.h. signal, brown is l.h. signal
back - black is ground, green is r.h. signal, brown is l.h. signal.
suggestion - in your "join date" info on the upper right of the display, specify your bike's model year. Also, a spare battery is great for bench-testing, often avoiding blown fuses if using the bike's wiring. Don't ask me how I know this.
Cheers, and welcome to the Forum!
+1
Miles always delivers with some great electrical info.

If you have a stock '07, your wires should be colored.

Your may have 3 wire signals but they would be running lights and turn not running and brake. FYI, as far as I know, it is illegal to have rear running lights other than red in color.

As far as a flasher, Ive had good luck ordering from custom dynamics.
http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the diagram. The trouble is that the aftermarket signals do not correspond. So I did the "trial and error" method and got the fronts working. They have running lights and turn signals. They do flash faster but not enough to where it is a problem. I guess if it works I got it right! Because I had no clue. I just kept trying different combinations until it worked. They actually have four wires, if you use the wrong one they go red. Mine are amber now.
I'll see if installing the back signals makes them even faster, then I will replace the flasher with one I ordered.

Thanks. the "trial and error" method worked! They do flash faster but not ridiculously fast. They don't both come on at the same time, the neutral light works, all with the stock flasher.

Back