Please tell me this isn't what I think it is.......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
I'm going to preface this by saying that my clutch needs to be replaced and it slips noticeably when at WOT in the upper gears. It's an '88 with 40k miles.

Anyways..... There is one particular turn I take in which I come from a 55mph zone, decelerate down to low 2nd gear, and make a left turn. Immediately when I get back on the throttle after the turn (about 2-3k rpm) the bike instantly revvs a few thousand rpm like it's in neutral and then there's a hard catch like it clunked back into gear. It only seems to do this in this circumstance when engine braking down to low 2nd from the highway and then getting back on the throttle (even very lightly)after I've completed this left turn. So far I can't duplicate it on any other road or in any other gear.

Is this a sign of the dreaded 2nd gear issue? It NEVER slips (even under hard acceleration) in any other instance. I'm really hoping a new clutch will fix this, but don't want to dump money on other planned upgrades if 2nd is shot.

Connor

Hard to say for sure but having a slipping clutch isn't helping? If it's slipping then you might not be getting the full load when at WOT anyway?

Hard to say for sure but having a slipping clutch isn't helping? If it's slipping then you might not be getting the full load when at WOT anyway?

The thing is that this doesn't feel like "slipping", it feels like I'm in neutral with zero power for the split second I change from coasting to getting on the throttle. It doesn't re-engage gradually either, it's a hard clunk and instant power after having revved up a few thousand rpm in this false neutral. Totally different feeling that the weakness and gradual reegagement of the slipping clutch, but I'm still hoping it's a side effect of the clutch. Maybe something to do with the lean angle or loading up the clutch with so much engine braking just before?

Nervously thinking out loud here haha

Sounds to me like the gear engagement dogs aren't, at first, and then they 'lock.' That's when they pull together. "Clunk!"

The Great Carnak sees a motor disassembly in your future...

ClickHandler.ashx

Sounds to me like the gear engagement dogs aren't, at first, and then they 'lock.' That's when they pull together. "Clunk!"

The Great Carnak sees a motor disassembly in your future...

ClickHandler.ashx

If that's the case why doesn't it do it when I put it in gear to engine brake? Is there something that could be worn to the point that there's a ton of lash when switching from deceleration to acceleration?

Well it could be your shift segment, but I think it's more-likely the dogs. Unfortunately, if an exam of the shift segment doesn't show any issues, I'm afraid it's gonna be case-splitting time. See what else Sean says, or any of the other mechanics.

Well it could be your shift segment, but I think it's more-likely the dogs. Unfortunately, if an exam of the shift segment doesn't show any issues, I'm afraid it's gonna be case-splitting time. See what else Sean says, or any of the other mechanics.

I have had instances where my 3-4 shift doesn't go into gear when I'm running it hard and I've read that that could be due to the shift segment. It's most likely going to PWC later this summer for some other work and upgrades so hopefully he can give me a diagnosis.

Not hard to change out the segment and certainly advisable as you have the old one in an '88 model. The newer is $30+ and cannot come apart like the earlier ones.

There is an acceleration side on the dogs AND a decell side so either or both can be worn.

Sean

There is an acceleration side on the dogs AND a decell side so either or both can be worn.

Sean

Would it be reasonable to say that switching from decel to accel puts more stress on them than running hard through the gears? What really puzzles me is that I've purposefully gotten back on the throttle extremely lightly to see if this happens and it still does. I would think that worn gears would hold in that circumstance and fail under hard regular shifting, and not vice versa?

Usually they fail more easily with increased load. Not sure what you have going on for sure?

Welp... after a long talk with my father it looks like 2nd gear is bad. I'm currently abroad, but when he rides he has experienced the typical slip when getting on the throttle hard. He says it slips and grabs hard again in second (sometimes more than once) when hard on the throttle.

.......Looks like (sniffle sniffle) there will be a (sob) parts bike available when I get back in Aug.

You aren't far-from PCW in Schenectady, let them do your engine and consider a mild hop-up since you're in there, even if all you did is get the transmission fixed, you should be good for a long time to come. Having the dogs undercut will make it shift better too.

You aren't far-from PCW in Schenectady, let them do your engine and consider a mild hop-up since you're in there, even if all you did is get the transmission fixed, you should be good for a long time to come. Having the dogs undercut will make it shift better too.

With the clutch, hot start, and charging issues on top of the trans I'm just gonna go for a '93 or newer. It's a shame because it's a really clean bike, but I can transfer over everything I need and cut you guys loose on the leftovers. I've got everything i can think of set up the way i like it, so that'll give me some freedom when buying a new max because i can pick and choose things to keep.

Back