plug rich a/f screws

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwkerr007

Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me start with bike info 97 4----1 2.5 baffle pod filters stg 7 ok my problem is I have to run the mix screws at 1 to 1.5 to keep from having a fouled plug next morning. I have the floats set (3 times) I have had the dyna needle at 3 diff pos (not much diff) I put the dyna jet under the diaphram and then put it back to stock. I have shotgunned it. I have replaced all mix screws with new I have checked my vboost to make sure it is not open. At no times have I ever been able to turn the screws out to the 2-3 turns needed. If you screw the mix screw all the way in is the only time that it changes idle speed. And let me add that if you leave it at 1 turn out it idles smooth and runs like a banshee BUT if you go a .25 out you will be replacing the plug the next day. So where is my problem that I can't run my mix screws out. More info:location beaumont,texas have even put velocity stackes on it still the same nothing seems to affect the mix screws adjustment so if anybody has fixed this issue before please reply thanks

What pilot jets, what main jets, do you have the air correctors installed, what needle setting?

was on groove 4 put it to 3 got diff throttle resp but still couldn't adjust out screws : stock pilot jets : have air correct's installed : let me add inf that all the carbs are doing it and if you throttle into it in high gear low rpm it accel's without stumble and it runs strong up till peak. it will sometimes act like it runs out runs out of wind at the top but thats according to what filter set up I have on it at the time. It never runs out wind if you start from a dead stop and run it through the gears. If you have the scews out 3/4 turn it runs crisp and has great throttle resp off idle but I can feel the cyl's getting hot so I only did that for a test. I have the stock paj in it when I put the dj paj it ran even richer so I put the stock back in. here is one more thing I have a set of venture carbs for parts that I had before Igot this bike and I noticed the paj in the vent carbs are much larger I.D. so what is the correct paj for these carbs? When I purchased this bike it was doing this when it was stock but someone had been in the carbs and had the floats way off so I thought that was the prob but nothing I have done to this bike has changed the a/f screws out turns or the plug fouling. but if you have them at 1 turn it won't foul or sag at idle and that has not changed before or after the dj kit. but it brought the power up with the pipe and dj kit like it should have but never changed the adjustment issue

The mains will affect EVERYTHING. A 175 DJ jet is greater than a 162.5 mikuni. Most people have GREAT success, using a mikuni 152.5 jet, or even 150's. If you dont want to order the mikuni jets, (Sean is a great resource for those), you can go to the DJ 160 jets which is equal to the MK 150. So, swap to the DJ 165 or 160's and start tuning from there, and throw the dynojet stage 7 instructions out the window. If you follow those, your bike will be set up too rich.

Attachments

• aefd709b-7cce-b81b.jpg
    aefd709b-7cce-b81b.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 21
The mains will affect EVERYTHING. A 175 DJ jet is greater than a 162.5 mikuni. Most people have GREAT success, using a mikuni 152.5 jet, or even 150's. If you dont want to order the mikuni jets, (Sean is a great resource for those), you can go to the DJ 160 jets which is equal to the MK 150. So, swap to the DJ 165 or 160's and start tuning from there, and throw the dynojet stage 7 instructions out the window. If you follow those, your bike will be set up too rich.
thanks for the reply I am putting the 165 in it as we speak BUT it did this when the carbs were stock and with a useless stage one kit so this problem hasn't gone away or changed since I got the bike. More info: you can run the bike through the gears and shut it off before it comes to idle or run freeway for a distance shut off pull the plugs and they r the right color

and one more thing I must add for all newbies reading this I have put in 50 or more dj kits in! So let me give you the best advice on a vmax your gonna get DON'T put the dj kit in!!! Buy the morley muscle kit and spend the extra time and money you save with your new bike, loving it instead of cussing it! and thats all I have to say about stg7 dj kits

I'm sorry one more thing @#$%^& dj instructions and there support of them. you will never have a prob with the MMK and never a prob with the support for sure!

If you haven't noticed I am a extreme supporter of Sean Morley and his support of us on all issues we face with a vmax ! This is just my opinion and I don't want to make little the help from the rest of the guys that help on here cause there great too

thanks for the reply I am putting the 165 in it as we speak BUT it did this when the carbs were stock and with a useless stage one kit so this problem hasn't gone away or changed since I got the bike. More info: you can run the bike through the gears and shut it off before it comes to idle or run freeway for a distance shut off pull the plugs and they r the right color

Sean has a great kit, and thats what i run in the 07. What were your jets with the stage 1 kit? The only way that i got decent power out of a stage 1 kit was with 150 mains (mikuni) and stage 1 needles set very lean.

Sean has a great kit, and thats what i run in the 07. What were your jets with the stage 1 kit? The only way that i got decent power out of a stage 1 kit was with 150 mains (mikuni) and stage 1 needles set very lean.
the stg 1 kit was already in it when I got it and I don't remember what main was in it but I have all the stock jets from the maxs i've installed for other people over the years.What I have now in this one is stg 7 needles and air jet set ups except for the ones under the diaph those are stock cause it was even more rich with those in it. I discovered some tabs on my linkage were bent that seemed to stop a lot of issues now it runs super smooth no cackling at steady pace and I put the 165 dj main in it but I haven't had a chance to adjust the mix screws yet but I will tonite and let ya'll know how that works thanks ya'll for all the input many minds are betterthan the one wore out one I got lol

Latest posts

Back