Plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are iridium plugs. I won't be thinking about it until around 50k miles.... I'm just over 20K now.

What mileage are any of u changing plugs

Before the star vmax site went down, most everybody changed them when the engine started running a little rough. Allot of them said they wasted their time because the plugs they took out looked new, so they waited for the engine to tell them when it was time. And they ain't so easy change from what I hear.

Eh.. still cheap. Foul one out on the road and how cheap would it be then

Carry spares, lol. Just like riding sled, you never go without spare belts, and plugs. 2 strokes are more susceptible to fouling a plug than 4 strokes. If your fouling plugs in a 4 stroke, you better be checking things out, not saying it can't happen, but it's usually something going on to foul a plug.

Last edited:
Carry spares, lol. Just like riding sled, you never go without spare belts, and plugs. 2 strokes are more susceptible to fouling a plug than 4 strokes. If your fouling plugs in a 4 stroke, you better be checking things out, not saying it can't happen, but it's usually something going on to foul a plug.

Nicee lol. I’m sure there’s a good majority that don’t. I have a spare cop and plug in the little bag lol

I have always made sure my Vmax's were tuned to perfection by me. I also carried spare parts (New Plugs) Etc. only trouble I had was using Ethanol on a trip where I couldn't find a Non Ethanol Gas Station... Vmax's are extremely Reliable. As I always said: "I wouldn't hesitate to take one of mine to Alaska from Florida during their 3 month Summer... lol.. Oil changes when needed and maybe a rear tire change along the way... PS: I always set the carb sync at 3,000 RPM with fans running on the radiator and locked the adjustment with Finger Nail Polish. That's close to where the engine is running most of the time... In all my years of riding and nearly 40 bikes Vmax's are like a good car. Maintained properly They will run Forever...

Where are you looking at, a stealership? I found a set for around $8/plug.

Quick search on bike bandit. OEM plug. I only got 3,000 miles on my gen 2, so I think I have a little while till I have to worry about plug change.

On the 1700’s no,on my personal 1200 yes, my plugs are new every season. And I do all of my own work.

It's like a 2 hour job on the Gen 2, a real PITA.

Definitely not something you'd do on the side of the road.

Thankfully I've never heard of that being necessary.

The Gen 2 is a modern beast just like today's automobiles. If a plug fouls you have some kind of major problem that changing the plug won't fix.

It's like a 2 hour job on the Gen 2, a real PITA.

Definitely not something you'd do on the side of the road.

Thankfully I've never heard of that being necessary.

The Gen 2 is a modern beast just like today's automobiles. If a plug fouls you have some kind of major problem that changing the plug won't fix.

That’s good to know. I hear that they’re a powerhouse! A friend of mine who also has a gen1 has been looking into the gen2, I’ll definitely pass that on. I’d love a gen2 as well but maybe later down the road.

As mentioned above, 2 strokes are much much harder on plugs than 4 strokes, and their RPM range is often even higher than a bike.

I do think we're firing these a lot more times per mile than a car, but even then I'm thinking as a maintenance move I won't do it until 20k miles.

And when I do it will get NGK. Only. If they make a better plug I don't know about it, and I've abused them all. I'll use an Autolite in a pinch though.

best of luck,
d

I'm swapping to a reflashed ECU and the bike has over 40K, so I'm changing out the plugs now.

Latest posts

Back