pod filter parts list?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filters (I may have a nice used set for $100)
Air Correctors ($15)
Some people get another filter for the vent line (autozone cheapo)

You can then either use the stock needles or go with adjustable aftermarket. OR, get a stage seven which has all the parts including the vent/vacuum system (filters are still not included). I MIGHT have a used setup around here but can get new as well.

I found a company that makes shorter filters so less air gets through, they're designed for smaller cc single cylinder bikes, but the diameter is right, and 4 of them is only going to run me $35. My main concern is, what do it do with the breather lines that bolt to the sides of the air box?

Last edited:
You bolt them to the same location as the scoops. Most of the small pod filters are junk. You still must have the stage seven air correctors and do something with the vent line coming up from the PCV.

You bolt them to the same location as the scoops. Most of the small pod filters are junk. You still must have the stage seven air correctors and do something with the vent line coming up from the PCV.

Okay, so, air correctors are a must, I got my phone to search the forum (first time that's ever worked without crashing the site) and found some old threads with pictures of the air correctors with a full explanation of what they do and why they're necessary. For some reason I had in my head that the term air corrector was referring to how Honda Ruckus tuners will reduce the air flow of their pods by cutting a strip of aluminum can and laying it over the carb intake before putting the pod on, essentially cutting down in air flow.

For the breather lines, do they need to be bolted anywhere specifically to function properly or can I build a "puke tank" out of pvc or something and route the 4 carb lines into it with a single breather filter, along with the crank case breather line into another mini puke tank with a breather filter on top?

Okay, so, air correctors are a must, I got my phone to search the forum (first time that's ever worked without crashing the site) and found some old threads with pictures of the air correctors with a full explanation of what they do and why they're necessary. For some reason I had in my head that the term air corrector was referring to how Honda Ruckus tuners will reduce the air flow of their pods by cutting a strip of aluminum can and laying it over the carb intake before putting the pod on, essentially cutting down in air flow.

For the breather lines, do they need to be bolted anywhere specifically to function properly or can I build a "puke tank" out of pvc or something and route the 4 carb lines into it with a single breather filter, along with the crank case breather line into another mini puke tank with a breather filter on top?

I do not use the 4 breather lines at all. The ones that go to the airbox. Mine are completley without them. I have never had a problem without them.
The air in the airbox does create a vacuum that can sometimes under very hard acceleration release oil in the airbox. On many of my bikes i put a small K&N filter on the end of that crankcase hose.

Some bikes are very sensitive to the 4 carb lines. An example, the Kawi ZX-11 literbike + needed them in place because the float bowl needed to be pressurized due to the ram air design that these bikes used. Unequal pressure wouldn't allow the carbs to flow correctly at speed. The VMax scoops are not really functional airscoops so there is no ram air.

Othe bikes proved to be very sensitive to crosswinds when their carb hoses encountered certain vector direction winds past the hose ends. I think there was a Triumph where this was discovered to be the case.

Apparently the issue may not be so pronounced on the VMax. I still would use some sort of a bracket to secure the hoses somewhere in approximation of their stock position. Or, maybe get some new hose to do it.

Some bikes are very sensitive to the 4 carb lines. An example, the Kawi ZX-11 literbike + needed them in place because the float bowl needed to be pressurized due to the ram air design that these bikes used. Unequal pressure wouldn't allow the carbs to flow correctly at speed. The VMax scoops are not really functional airscoops so there is no ram air.

Othe bikes proved to be very sensitive to crosswinds when their carb hoses encountered certain vector direction winds past the hose ends. I think there was a Triumph where this was discovered to be the case.

Apparently the issue may not be so pronounced on the VMax. I still would use some sort of a bracket to secure the hoses somewhere in approximation of their stock position. Or, maybe get some new hose to do it.

So, what if I made a small pvc chamber, ran all 4 lines to it, and tapped a breather to the top, and placed that in front of the carbs? Would that be too restrictive?

As mentioned just swap brackets from the hoses to the opposite sides and bolt them in with the same bolt that holds the rears of the scoops on. Then get a filter from the parts store (usually in the chrome or aftermarket parts section) for a valve cover PCV and put that in the large hose that used to connect to the back of the airbox.

Latest posts

Back