Polishing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Anyone recommend a good site that covers step by step the procedure. Got some parts backfrom polishing and if held in the light at a particular angle can see the surface micro scratches oriented in one way. Wondering if these are possible to take out and how to do it specifically.

chrome it - LOL!

Actually the polishing process is simply taking small scratches and making them smaller. The smaller the scratches become the shiner the part is. You can finish up with a good final polish like mothers billet polish.

Bad thing is that any cleaning you do will add more scratches back in and even finger oils smudge the finish. You have just been introduced to a life of polishing. That is why I like chromeing - more durable and easier to clean and maintain the shine.

Sean Morley

http://www.geocities.com/am20924/VMaxPolish.html

You need to know if the part were clear coated ? If so, you need to strip'm down or you just wasting your time with the clear coat on them. Yes, Sean is right on the button, welcome to polishing, I'm doing some now myself. However you can't beat the cost.....chroming can be hard or the wallet, vrs. polishing is hard on the patients. More maintenence, and will never looks as good as chrome.

Final buffing and polish can be done with talcom powder. It's a finniky process to try to get it perfect. It's best to say, " you'll never see it from the 400".
You may just say - it's good enough for now and don't mess with them till maybe next winter. Take a look at the link, tha guy does a great job on his scoops. Post some pics, or pm me for my addy and I'd like to see how well they did.

I think Rob has something there. Chances are good that when you get done with it, it will look worse, especially if you've never done it before. Polishing will always show signs of fine lines, no matter how good the job. Look at the stock polishing from the factory. You want better, get chrome or get it painted. :hmmm:

don't remeber if the covers can be disassembled or not but if they could we could always chrome them.

Sean

Sean

I heard there was a special tool to get the covers off but only dealers have them. i think the tolerances are too tight to chrome though.

Not sure what it may or may not take to get the things apart. We can mask off areas that would be tight but that doesn't always make it fit the same way. I have had to re-machine or drill/tap areas on certain parts to make the fit the same way it was.

I have heard there are certain clear coats that can be put on that will help you keep the polished shine for longer too.

Sean

I had no luck with my scoops when I sprayed clear coat to them. I had to then paint them black for now. I'm going to redo them again and try again to see if I can get the look I'm after. I think there is a bit of a knack to it to get it right. It was recommended to me to use VHT clear coat, but my wife picked it up for me some cheap value brand and I used it anyways.....go figure !

Latest posts

Back