Poll, give the gun back??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I give this guy his gun back??

• No, he got a good deal

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • No, if willing to let it go he didn't need it.

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Yes, he might need the thing to protect his family

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Yes, you screwed him and have no heart

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
I put my truck up for sale 2 weeks ago, the one I said I'd never sell. It's in the way all the time and I don't drive it but maybe 500 miles a year..

Anyway....Did the research and came up with a number that I wanted for it, $7000 which was HIGH Trade-IN for FAIR condition, according to KBB, I wanted it to move and priced it pretty fair I thought, but in all honesty was asking $1500 more than I was willing to take for it..

It's an 2002 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab LS with a 6.0 litre gas motor, 127000 miles and extremely good mechanical and cosmetic condition except for a lot of scratches from driving through brush at the deer lease. Were it not for the scratches it would be in Pristine perfect condition.

1st couple that come to look at it and drive it, nice young couple, live here locally, with a little 6 y.o. girl, love it and want it for ASKING price, they did not even attempt to haggle with me even a little bit...They were down to one car and he needed something quickly for work, he works at the county landfill, equipt. operator..had the uniform to back it up.

So his wife says they don't have the full $7k for maybe a week, but can come up with $6600 on Saturday, before I can get "fine I'll take it" out of my mouth He throws in a Glock 22 in .40Cal to the mix, and will I take the $6600 and the Glock as full payment...

Of course I say yes. Since I know retail on the gun is about $550 or so so surely it's worth $400 especially if I want to keep it.

That night My wife and I keep asking ourselves "why the hell didn't they haggle?" Now I feel guilty for taking advantage of their stupidity.

They come by Sat a.m. with the cash $$$$ and the gun, brand new in the box, with all the paper etc. we do all the truck paper and then the guy proceeds to show me this gun and how to break it down and all the features and you can tell he is totally stoked about it, says he just bought it a couple of months ago...I ask him if it's his only firearm, he tells me yes and I Wince.....

Am I a pussy for thinking about giving him his Glock back and calling it good?

My wife thinks I should, and I keep going back and forth, since my conscience is in competition with my love of firearms.....

I would have gladly taken way less and just can't believe they didn't haggle with me......now the guy had to trade his likes for his needs, and is living in a home w/o a gun 'cause of me....Then again he was happy as a lark when he left.

On the other hand he still got the truck way less than what a dealer would have charged, and about what any other private seller would have actually gotten for it....Maybe a lot cheaper since it sold to the first looker, maybe I screwed myself instead....??

Obviously I would make a horrible car salesman...but then again absence of soul is required to be a good car salesman...

Well if you are feeling guilty about it, see if they have the rest of the money for the truck and give the gun back. Tell them you don't need the gun and, if you want to feel real good about it, tell them they only need 1/2 ($200) and they get the gun back, it would be like they haggled for a lower price, they would think you are a great guy and you would have got a good price for your truck and not feel guilty!

General rule of thumb: If you/they FEEL like you got a good deal then you/they did!
Personally you have to do what feels best for you but, a deal is a deal and you got a bonus and NEXT.....:punk:

He may have thrown in the gun because he did not want the responsibility of the child at some time possibly getting to the gun and thinking it was a toy. Have seen too many accidents like this in my career. With his job as he said he would be able to come up with the rest of the money. I am sure he can afford another gun in the near future.

I'm a softy too Rusty and hate feeling guilty. Think Buster's idea is what I would consider....give him the gun back for $200.

Ultimately, it's your call, and your call only....do whatever makes you sleep best at night. :punk:

He may have thrown in the gun because he did not want the responsibility of the child at some time possibly getting to the gun and thinking it was a toy. Have seen too many accidents like this in my career. With his job as he said he would be able to come up with the rest of the money. I am sure he can afford another gun in the near future.

His wife did say she didn't like having the gun in the house.....

I like all firearms but I do have an irrational prejudice against polymer guns and any pistol without a visible hammer....:ummm:

keep the gun bro, its part of the deal. dont worry about it. i voted the 2nd no.

peace,
evan...

I say no because they obviously could have gotten a $6600 or cheaper truck somewhere else on Saturday. They wanted yours and thought the cash plus gun was a fair deal so there you go.

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm: .......................do what makes YOU feel good !

I voted "No, if willing to let it go he didn't need it." but I am right there with Danny. I say Give it back to the guy. think of it this way, you could keep, thinking that you might have taking advantege of the guy/he might need to to protect his family type of thoughts never knowing the truth or you could give it back feel like you did some good and worst off your out $500 bucks and than if he really didn't need it and he still takes it back. Karma will come back around.

well typing this I was thinking.. they did offer to pay you in full so they had the money. Maybe he wants a different gun or something... hell maybe he bought it and brings it home and wife says "Nope. Not in my house." so maybe you did him a favor.

So with that said call the guy maybe see where his head is at, just be honest and say you can do with out the gun as payment and be fine. If he feels that is right.

good luck man

voted "No, if willing to let it go he didn't need it."

imo, if he didn't want to let it go, he shouldn'tve offered it up. his priorities are clear--his family needed the second vehicle more than whatever need he had for his gun.

sleep easy tonight, bro. it's all good.

If they were happy with the deal, you should be too.... It's not like you're screwing them...

Good luck, Either Way You Decide Bro...

All 3 were happy with the deal and if you give the gun back one person is going to be unhappy... his wife... and maybe you if you like the gun. I think you got the best deal in the best conditions. Everyone got satisfied so what?... Isn't that what we are all looking for?... If they were short on cash they would have negotiated better don't you think? And still if they are short on cash giving the gun back won't put food on their table... Let it be... I voted no... Be happy... The little guy that seats on your shoulder just told me thats fine...

You didn't' ask for it, nothing to feel guilty about, and Glocks are awesome, I have 3.

If its bothering you enough to start a thread it seems pretty obvious that you should give it back. A gun isn't worth a guilty conscience.

You might try and give it back and he may refuse....then you get the gun with a clear conscience.

I met a guy a couple weeks ago who wanted some parts. He offered me MORE money than the price I quoted him. I figured it was a scam. It took a couple weeks for us to meet up due to conflicting schedules. I ended up talking with him for quite awhile, really nice guy. Gave him the parts he gave me the money. We talk some more and I knew if I let him leave without giving him some money back, I was going to feel guilty. I gave him the difference between my quote and what he paid. He tried to refuse but I just would not have felt right.

If its bothering you enough to start a thread it seems pretty obvious that you should give it back. A gun isn't worth a guilty conscience.

You might try and give it back and he may refuse....then you get the gun with a clear conscience.

I met a guy a couple weeks ago who wanted some parts. He offered me MORE money than the price I quoted him. I figured it was a scam. It took a couple weeks for us to meet up due to conflicting schedules. I ended up talking with him for quite awhile, really nice guy. Gave him the parts he gave me the money. We talk some more and I knew if I let him leave without giving him some money back, I was going to feel guilty. I gave him the difference between my quote and what he paid. He tried to refuse but I just would not have felt right.

i agree completely.

I was conflicted with my poll choice as I didn't have a choice that fit my response. You sold him a vehicle that really would not work well for a family that was fighting for every nickle and dime to get by unless he needed it to perform his job, which it sounds like he does not. They could have found a less expensive vehicle to get back and forth to work and kept the gun for protection. Like you mentioned they didn't bargin for a lower price, which I don't understand why people don't do that, so maybe he was trying to get rid of the gun. They probably didn't want to lose out by selling back to a dealer and by including it in the truck deal they could somewhat control the value they would receive for it. :confused2:
I would call them and offer the deal to buy it back as Buster mentioned which probably will revel their reasoning on the matter. It should give you piece of mind whichever way they decide on your offer. Good on ya Rusty for doing the right thing.:thumbs up:

Back