Poll: Okay, what's next?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What mod should I do next?

• Total voters

maleko89

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, what should I do next? My engine has 72,000 miles and only issue is that it is using about a 1/2 quart of oil every 1500 miles. Maybe time to refresh? I'm not made of money so obviously have to plan each mod carefully.

Robert, definitely want to! I want to ride the Gap, Eureka, Brownie with the Eastern boys and north to meet the Canucks/Michigan boys. Before I die perhaps!

Mark, what HID means?

IMHO, the heart of the bike is most important. You can live with evrything else but without good working heart you want go much far.
Engine firstable...

Mark, what HID means?

IMHO, the heart of the bike is most important. You can live with evrything else but without good working heart you want go much far.
Engine firstable...

High Intensity Discharge head light.

Mark, would love to but I know jack shit about building an engine. I know enough about how it's put together but am clueless when inspecting cylinder walls, bearings, etc.

I would go for new rotors, but get some wave ones like jedi, redbone and myself rather than stock ones - they look way better, aren't that expensive and improve breaking a lot!

I'd say don't touch the motor - if it ain't broke don't fix it! Just keep maintenance as per the book and keep that oil going.. When you hit 100k you can think about valve stem seals, new rings, new bearings etc. Plus all the gaskets, material and other random items, it'll be pricey either way!

Oh, I know you guys could. But, problem is knowing what questions to ask. Like I say...I don't know what I don't know. I should take some classes on engine building.

Neat thing about this paticular stroker setup is that you only need to get a crank modified. Can send off the stk crank and drop the sucker back in. Can run the stk pistons and such. If your motor is running well, one could slap the stk pistons back in the stk bores. Just need to change the rods. Actually very cheap considering. If your motor is tired, then those things need to be addressed.

I would go for new rotors, but get some wave ones like jedi, redbone and myself rather than stock ones - they look way better, aren't that expensive and improve breaking a lot!

I'd say don't touch the motor - if it ain't broke don't fix it! Just keep maintenance as per the book and keep that oil going.. When you hit 100k you can think about valve stem seals, new rings, new bearings etc. Plus all the gaskets, material and other random items, it'll be pricey either way!

Thanks G, thinking that too. I don't think I'm burning much if any oil. Plugs are clean and I've had chasers watch for blue smoke and none. One problem for sure are the two short manifold bolts as they are stripped. I need a leak down tester to be sure.

There are several on the board that knows what to look for and can pass that along. No need to worry about what you don't know to ask. Several have been there and done that and learned the hard way. Now you don't have to!

Neat thing about this paticular stroker setup is that you only need to get a crank modified. Can send off the stk crank and drop the sucker back in. Can run the stk pistons and such. If your motor is running well, one could slap the stk pistons back in the stk bores. Just need to change the rods. Actually very cheap considering. If your motor is tired, then those things need to be addressed.

Cool. Motor isn't tired at all as it's pulling the same horsepower as 3 years ago at 119 point something. What I was thinking in terms of refresh was cylinder hone, new rings, valve work, new guides, etc. If I used stock rods I would want Morley to put better small end bushings in. I wouldn't touch the tranny since it shifts like new. Key is pedal height and a firm shift.

I went with new rear shocks, because if the stock ones have 72,000 miles, there pretty much dead IMO.

As far as the engine, my 96 "consumed" 1 liter of oil every 3000 miles from the day I owned it until I sold it at 112,000 miles - and the motor was still strong when I sold it. Hell my 06 "consumes" 1/2 a liter of oil every 3000 miles and it only has 20,000 miles.

Mike

Ya know Mark, it would be interesting to see WHO voted for what. You'll prolly see that all who voted to refresh your engine are Mod Monkeys and HP Junkies! All of those guys are very, very SICK puppies. It IS contagious too!

Ya know Mark, it would be interesting to see WHO voted for what. You'll prolly see that all who voted to refresh your engine are Mod Monkeys and HP Junkies! All of those guys are very, very SICK puppies. It IS contagious too!

Haha, you called that right. If you click on poll results do you not see who voted for what? Maybe it's just me since I created the poll. Anyway, here's who voted for the engine refresh/rebuild.

Birdoprey, max_caper, satariel666, Thevmaxrider

I went with new rear shocks, because if the stock ones have 72,000 miles, there pretty much dead IMO.

As far as the engine, my 96 "consumed" 1 liter of oil every 3000 miles from the day I owned it until I sold it at 112,000 miles - and the motor was still strong when I sold it. Hell my 06 "consumes" 1/2 a liter of oil every 3000 miles and it only has 20,000 miles.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I' am using shocks from a '99 that a buddy gave me when he went to Works. You're right, my old ones that were original were shot and leaking.

Back