Pontiac is Back!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh its gonna happen & there gonna build a new Fiero to.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
When those came out, I went to the dealer. They wanted about 15% over list, "limited availability!" I believe the V6 wan't avail at first, and that was what I was most interested in, something w/h.p., not just a 2.5 L. economical car. And if you like Excaliburs, Zimmer Golden Spirits, Clenets, and the like, you could've ordered this instead of your garden-variety Fiero, and delivered from your Pontiac dealer:

http://www.fiero.net/mera/MeraArticleFull.jpg

I owned two Trans-Ams, one I bought a year old and the other I bought from the original owner, it was a 400 Pontiac WS6 Hurst "T-Hatch" old-English script "6.6 Litre" authentic gold-pinstriped "Smokey & the Bandit" edition. All "Smokey & the Bandit" cars came with Hurst T-Hatches. Neither ran particularly fast compared to earlier 455 editions, but compared to stock cars of the day, they pretty-much ruled the roost. They sure were pretty, and people always commented on their appearance. Not for the faint-of-heart, w/all the fender spats, hood scoop, spoilers, the hood bird, derisively referred to as the 'screaming chicken,' and the wide aluminum wheels. I think they had one of the best-looking modern dashboards, and the "Smokey & the Bandit" edition had gold tint for the engine-turned dash panel and the metal steering wheel trim, as well as the front nose 'nostrils.' I put over 100K mi on the "Smokey & the Bandit" and the only thing I did beyond replacing things as they wore out was to do tune-ups and feed it gas, lots of gas. Twelve mpg. Even in FL the Tin Worm can strike, and I sold it for enough to buy a friend's Mustang GT outright, the first year they started making them again. That year they were faster than the Corvette, a source of embarassment for GM owners of plastic cars. I ripped-out the SROD 4 speed & swapped-in a Borg Warner T5 5-speed, which made it a whole lot more fun to drive than the Mexican-built iron-case overdrive truck tranny they came with stock. At that time I also had a beautiful Z28, but the GT was much more fun to drive than the Z28, smaller, more-agile. Yeah, I was single, how'd you know?

Incidentally, AJ Foyt took a 4 cyl highly-modified by Batten Engineering & Fueling and set a closed-course record with it (257 mph!) in 1987. Its top-end was even more. (engine info below)

That "Quad Four" was a good design, capable of far-more than people gave it credit for. It was the first 4 valve/cyl GM production design. So, four cyls' can play too. Honda's success with the four is proof of that, all the tuners wring big power out of them.

Here's mine at VIR in April. '78 ws6 400/4speed with a raIII top end, '79 4wheel discs. I tried to take the best of all years and make a real road racer.

Attachments

• VIR2.JPG
    VIR2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 15
  • VIR9.JPG
    VIR9.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 15
Here's mine at VIR in April. '78 ws6 400/4speed with a raIII top end, '79 4wheel discs. I tried to take the best of all years and make a real road racer.
Yeah, that looks like fun! Too-heavy to be competitive, but for a track day, lotsa fun! One of the most-fun times I had w/mine was a trip to Walt Disney World, beautiful days up & back, t-tops out, just cruising, no need for burning up the road, just a great time w/my g.f. in the car.

The 1939 Pontiac Deluxe 6, also referred to as the "Ghost Car" because its chassis was constructed of plexiglass , is driven at the Inn at St. Johns in Plymouth, Mich. July 28, 2011. The see-through Pontiac built by General Motors for the 1939-40 New York World's Fair is going on the auction block this weekend. The car's Plexiglas body offers a view of its chrome, steel and iron innards. It also features white-colored rubber moldings and tires. (AP Photo/Detroit News
1b4d75380f9c7a11f40e6a70670018fd.jpg

Now they're going retro!

Latest posts

Back