Popping from carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick mcadams

Reaction score
Could anybody tell me why my vmax is popping back out the carbs its a first gen 1200 98 model . any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you type your symptom(s) in the search bar all sorts of possible causes and cures will come back.
If you narrow it down with a little more info and history on the problem that will help us help you.

I have had the pops from a pin hole leak in the fuel line before the fuel pump, caused a lean condition.
From a weak battery, loose carb boot clamps, three cracked carb boots etc.

Before I learned about our reserve fuel switch function, I had gotten low on fuel, the light didn't come on (burnt bulb), the fuel pump shut off, as the motor began to starve for fuel it popped and crackled from both ends.
I got some gas not knowing about this switch, got the bike home and looked for what could have caused what I thought was a vacuum leak or air leak based solely on that popping out of the carbs
and exhaust in that case.

If it just started doing this where it hadn't before, you have a recently-caused lean condition. A gentsvmax said, it can have more-than 1 cause. One way to look is to spray starting fluid around your rubber carb boots, an increase in the idle speed while doing this is where you need to look. It could be a loose boot, a cracked boot, or a not fully-seated carb. The airbox could be loose on-top of the carbs. Look under my name and 'seating the carbs' in the search function for one way to ensure the carbs are fully sealed against the bottom of the airbox, and the bottom of the carbs are fully-seated against the VBoost manifold rubbers.

The carbs being out of synch can be another reason the bike pops. It takes a tool to do, there are several types of tools to do it. The first time you use it, it probably pays for itself. I have a set of vacuum gauges I use. I also have a fluid gauge set from Motion Pro. There is also an electronic one now. They all do the same thing, allow you to adjust your carbs properly.

Take your time, take notes on what you do, so you know what you did.

Last edited:
Back