popping through the left side exhaust???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJimi

Reaction score
Well I took the bike out for ride today to see how the new to me SuperTrapp slip ons sound. I noticed when I was at a steady pace it seemed to be hesitating and if I let off the throttle a bit it would start popping mostly from the left side pipe?

I think it is running lean now do to moving more air, the SuperTrappd are open ended no end caps.

Any suggestions? I am thinking I need to richen it up some?

Thanks

I'm voting for exhaust leak causing rich condition, but I've been wrong today already. (I have the same problem with popping, and I'm sure I'm a bit rich and have exhaust leaks).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

These bikes get RICHER not leaner when you open up the exhaust. Check for leaks at the joints.

I think popping is too rich, if it's when you back off on the throttle. Excess unburnt fuel igniting, I don't know for sure though. Also, keep in mind that the rear cylinders cross sides so popping on the left could still be from #3 cylinder which is the rear right.

Matt

Ok that might explain why I could move the header pipes when I was installing the slip on's, I will check the connections at the blocks.

Yeah I run the Supertrapps with Open Caps and my bike runs a little richer than it did with the Stock Exhaust on it.
I'm actually think of putting in Mikuni 150 Main Jets to lean it out just a tad.

Yeah I run the Supertrapps with Open Caps and my bike runs a little richer than it did with the Stock Exhaust on it.
I'm actually think of putting in Mikuni 150 Main Jets to lean it out just a tad.

And that is very true. Slip ons flow better than stock exhaust, and since they flow better, they will pull more fuel into the carbs, making them run slightly rich.

Back