"Pops" Dies in Telegraph Canyon, San Diego CA

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FREERIDER

Reaction score
On Sunday March 15 at 10:15 am my Dad and fellow canyon carver
Tom "Pops" O. died after, shit I don't know if I should tell the whole story.
Ya I should.

My Dad was a life long Motorcyclist. Charter Life Member of the AMA. He raced motorcross in the 60's and 70's on the old CZs and Suzuki's. He had a couple of Triumph's and others that I don't remember. I think he got his first V-MAX around 88' or 89'. My earliest memories of the monster bikes of a dark moroon and dark purple colors were going to and from school. My 2nd grade teacher thought he was crazy for taking me to school on the front of the bike holding the inner part of the handle bars with my Moms helmet on. (It was only 5 bloks to school.)
I rode with him untill I was big enough to touch my feet to the ground with out droping it. Then after that he let me lose on it. Thats one cool Dad who would let his 15yr son take the bike to High School and to girls houses. Man what a great guy.
For some reason niether one of us rode for almost seven years untill I got my R1. Once I got the R1 and into the canyons of East County San Diego he was right behind me. I got a flat on Fathers of 07' and called him to come and get. Sure enough he did, and when saw all the sport bikes and the guys who rode them he was hooked again. Four days later he bought a Red 94' V-MAX and we were RIDING together again.
"Pops" as he would come to be known, became a center part of the Telegarph Canyon "group" of RIDERS. He put an email list together of 42 RIDERS and would put out a weekly news letter about cops and crashes and Wild Fires. It was kinda a rough start out there for him on a V-MAX and everyone else on sport bikes. He had his own vary unique way of RIDING that the guys weren't sure what to think about. But he soon gained the respect of everyone. After awhile of being the crazy old guy and loud ass V-MAX he decided that he would be better suited for the canyons on a Yamaha FZ1. With the FZ1 under him he was one force not to be reconded with out there in a pack of younger guys on Super Bikes.

Time went on and on one of the weekends I was with my kids and not out on the Sunday RIDE, my Dad, Charles "Tom" "Pops O. moved on to the big track in the sky. The thing about it is that it was not the Canyons that got him, it was the Cops.
He passed a cop at 120+ and kept on going. He made a run for it. After coming out of a long bend and out of sight of the cops and the other RIDERS, he saw an opportunity to make a quik left of HWY 94 and onto a side road.
He did not make the turn and went off the cliff. He broke his neck instantly.

He will be dearly missed by me and many of other RIDERS who's lives he touched. A foot marker has been set at the spot of his transition to the never ending RIDE. All are welcome to go out there to pay respects and chill for a minute. Its is actually a very beautiful canyon to stop and have a smoke. Leave one rolled for him too.:bike1:

Re: "Pops" Dies in Telegraph Canyon, San Diego CA

I am not disrespecting the man, but it doesn't sound like it was the cops who got him, but that he got himself by running from the cops...

I know this may not be a popular opinion - but the roads belong to everyone, including my family. Running from the po-po makes life dangerous for everyone involved.

No disrespect to the deceased. Sounded like a good father.
________
Boshoku

Last edited:
On Sunday March 15 at 10:15 am my Dad and fellow canyon carver
Tom "Pops" O. died after, shit I don't know if I should tell the whole story.
Ya I should.

My Dad was a life long Motorcyclist. Charter Life Member of the AMA. He raced motorcross in the 60's and 70's on the old CZs and Suzuki's. He had a couple of Triumph's and others that I don't remember. I think he got his first V-MAX around 88' or 89'. My earliest memories of the monster bikes of a dark moroon and dark purple colors were going to and from school. My 2nd grade teacher thought he was crazy for taking me to school on the front of the bike holding the inner part of the handle bars with my Moms helmet on. (It was only 5 bloks to school.)
I rode with him untill I was big enough to touch my feet to the ground with out droping it. Then after that he let me lose on it. Thats one cool Dad who would let his 15yr son take the bike to High School and to girls houses. Man what a great guy.
For some reason niether one of us rode for almost seven years untill I got my R1. Once I got the R1 and into the canyons of East County San Diego he was right behind me. I got a flat on Fathers of 07' and called him to come and get. Sure enough he did, and when saw all the sport bikes and the guys who rode them he was hooked again. Four days later he bought a Red 94' V-MAX and we were RIDING together again.
"Pops" as he would come to be known, became a center part of the Telegarph Canyon "group" of RIDERS. He put an email list together of 42 RIDERS and would put out a weekly news letter about cops and crashes and Wild Fires. It was kinda a rough start out there for him on a V-MAX and everyone else on sport bikes. He had his own vary unique way of RIDING that the guys weren't sure what to think about. But he soon gained the respect of everyone. After awhile of being the crazy old guy and loud ass V-MAX he decided that he would be better suited for the canyons on a Yamaha FZ1. With the FZ1 under him he was one force not to be reconded with out there in a pack of younger guys on Super Bikes.

Time went on and on one of the weekends I was with my kids and not out on the Sunday RIDE, my Dad, Charles "Tom" "Pops O. moved on to the big track in the sky. The thing about it is that it was not the Canyons that got him, it was the Cops.
He passed a cop at 120+ and kept on going. He made a run for it. After coming out of a long bend and out of sight of the cops and the other RIDERS, he saw an opportunity to make a quik left of HWY 94 and onto a side road.
He did not make the turn and went off the cliff. He broke his neck instantly.

He will be dearly missed by me and many of other RIDERS who's lives he touched. A foot marker has been set at the spot of his transition to the never ending RIDE. All are welcome to go out there to pay respects and chill for a minute. Its is actually a very beautiful canyon to stop and have a smoke. Leave one rolled for him too.:bike1:

Your dad must have been one cool guy. It's what do you with that dash on the stone between the dates. Sounds like he lived life the way he wanted to. Sorry about your loss.... Godspeed

You have my deepest sympathy in the loss of your father.

I must say, however, it was not the cops who got him, rather he got himself. Please do not use this as an excuse to blame "da man" once again. He chose to run. That choice placed him on the big highway in the sky.

I always mourn the loss of a fellow rider. It brings it to a new level when that rider passed because he didn't follow road safety and the law.

I hope truly that you use this as a learning example and not a reason to become a cop hater. They were doing their jobs looking out for other motorists. Your dad wasn't.

VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DAD ! I'M VERY SORRY TO HERE THIS , IT ALWAYS SADDENS ME WHEN A FELLOW " COP RUNNER " DIES IN THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS , AND THE WAY I LOOK AT THIS , THEY STILL NEVER GOT HIM , HE WAS GONE WHEN THEY GOT TO HIM , HE WAS IN HEAVEN :Angel: , SO THEY REALLY DIDN'T GET HIM , HE STILL GOT AWAY !...:punk:... RIP:rip: I'M NOT TRYING TO MAKE THIS SOUND LIGHT HEARTED IN ANYWAY , SHAPE OR FORM , BUT HE IS A HERO IN MY BOOK !...:worthy:AND I JUST LOST MY DAD ALSO , 3 MONTHS AGO !

I'm not trying to sound like a dick & i sure don't want to turn this sad story into a debate but , cops kill a lot more innocent people every year when they are on duty , then people on motorcycles do ! Especially when their off duty & drunk ! ( I GET MY STATS FROM THE NEWS ) Just turn it on , any channel will due ! PS. DON'T GET ME WRONG , I DON'T CONDONE THOSE GUYS ON RICE ROCKETS DOING WHEELIES AT 100 MPH'S PAST PEOPLE DRIVING WITH THEIR FAMILY'S & SCARRING THE SHIT OUT OF THEM EITHER ! BUT IF THEY WANT TO DO IT ON SOME BACK ROAD , SHIT , HAVE AT IT !

Re: "Pops" Dies in Telegraph Canyon, San Diego CA

I won't bother arguing with you cop runner. I flat out disagree. Statistics from the news? Always keep in mind, the "news" is a business - designed to sell stories.

We should both respect this as a tribute to his father and carry our debate in another thread if we must.
________
RC series

Last edited:
Thanks for all your condolences. In defense of my Dad and the group we RIDE with, we are out in the back roads of the mountains early on Sunday mornings. Traffic is at its lightest then and we respect ALL the other users of this road. There are more Bicyclist out there than cars some times. We have never had an accident with any pedestrians.

I do not use this as an excuse to hate cops. The man was just doing his job as I do mine with a tool belt. What ever hate or dislike for cops I have has come from different encounters of mine with them over the years.

The man LOVED his VMAX, and I do as well.

RIDE ON:th_biggun:

Thanks for all your condolences. In defense of my Dad and the group we RIDE with, we are out in the back roads of the mountains early on Sunday mornings. Traffic is at its lightest then and we respect ALL the other users of this road. There are more Bicyclist out there than cars some times. We have never had an accident with any pedestrians.

I do not use this as an excuse to hate cops. The man was just doing his job as I do mine with a tool belt. What ever hate or dislike for cops I have has come from different encounters of mine with them over the years.

The man LOVED his VMAX, and I do as well.

RIDE ON:th_biggun:
MAN , THIS MADE THE HAIR STAND UP ON THE BACK OF MY NECK ! WELL SAID ! I WASN'T BORN & OR TOUGHT TO HATE COPS EITHER , IT WAS FROM ALL OF MY " DIFFERENT ENCOUNTERS " !http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=95

You have my deepest sympathy in the loss of your father.

I must say, however, it was not the cops who got him, rather he got himself. Please do not use this as an excuse to blame "da man" once again. He chose to run. That choice placed him on the big highway in the sky.

I always mourn the loss of a fellow rider. It brings it to a new level when that rider passed because he didn't follow road safety and the law.

I hope truly that you use this as a learning example and not a reason to become a cop hater. They were doing their jobs looking out for other motorists. Your dad wasn't.

+1 to what you said

+1 to what you said

+2, There is only one person that initiates a chase. the guy in front. Sorry you lost your dad. but thats like the firebug that kills firefighters " I just wanted to start a fire, it's thier fault for doing thier job, I just wanted to start a fire".

RIP. your dad died doing what he loved to do. Every body has to go, I would rather do that then waste away in a rest home. As far as running from the cops...and blaming the cops. All you have to do is pull over. :confused2:

" FREERIDER " , Its Been A Year Since My Dads Cancer Ate Him To Death & Almost A Year Since Your Dad " POPS " Past Doing What He Loved , The Rush That No Video Game Can Simulate , " Running From The Cops " I Will Always Respect Him For That And Say A Prayer for Him , I Look Forward To Meeting Him In The Future ! .. Thank God Running The Cops Isn't A Sin ! .. I Hope He Has Met My Dad , I'm Sure They Have Some Great Stories To Tell Each Other , And Are Laughing There Asses Off ! My DAD Loved My Cop Running Stories , I Think He Wished He Was On The Back Sometimes ! ... GOD SPEED " POPS "

Back