porous cylinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
This kind of defect isn't what you expect to see in a modern bike, this is from a Hyabusa which also was victim of a careless assembly by someone prior to the current owner. They didn't replace the hollow dowels for the cam bearing/covers.

Attachments

• 20171102_185342.jpg
    20171102_185342.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 55
  • 20171102_185434.jpg
    20171102_185434.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20171102_185514.jpg
    20171102_185514.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 44
Pitting?
I had a similar think with an engine I had for my nova.
7 out of the 8 cylinders had rust in it.
It was rebuilt but sat for years.
I paid nothing so I dingle berry honed it with the pistons in it, rotated it upside down on the engine stand , cleaned it then ran it.
It ran for years and even went 11.70's with afr heads.
It didn't smoke or anything.
I was young and broke so I ran it.
What year engine ?
I guess from what you've said it was apart before.

Perforation in > 1 place, a used bike, being drag-raced & licensed for the street, but not really used much on the street. Enlarge the pic to see the defects.

Unless the pit went all the way through into the coolant or other area I don't expect that would have been much of an issue? The missing dowels can be an issue and give some cam walk for sure.

Yes, it went into the coolant jacket, and there was similar perforation on the adjoining cyl. Those two cyl's also had low compression.

Yes, the cams were not secured as-well as they should be, especially in an engine being used for racing. Repairs underway.

Unless the pit went all the way through into the coolant or other area I don't expect that would have been much of an issue? The missing dowels can be an issue and give some cam walk for sure.

Which is more cost effective?...............Sleeving the cylinders or findind/prepping another good used block?......................Tom.

I saw a head on a new Ford Falcon 4.0L 6cyl once with a hole clean through to the cooling system. That was in the 1990s though.....
It does happen but I agree it shouldnt these days.

Latest posts

Back