Possible 3rd Gear Issue?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought an 88 Vmax a few weeks ago and I've noticed that when shifting from 3rd to 4th there is a significant amount of vibration coming from the foot shifter in the split second when I've got the clutch pulled in and my foot has the shifter raised. It doesn't always do it but it happens more often than not when I'm accelerating hard. It doesn't happen in any other gear and I shift very firmly. I don't notice any other symptoms aside from that vibration. I just put fresh rotella 15w40 in and saw no improvement.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this?

Thanks,

Connor

Could be time for a new clutch... possible you could be getting chatter as the gear ratio goes up...

Wouldn't it cause problems in the 4-5 shift if it had to do with the gear ratio?
It has zero problems between any other gears.

I'd pull the clutch and inspect it, while your at it update the shift segment because that very well might be your problem.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk now Free

I'd pull the clutch and inspect it, while your at it update the shift segment because that very well might be your problem.

What are the typical symptoms of a bad shift segment?

It can range from not going in gear at all to having issues in just one particular gear, if you inspect the clutch just pull the whole basket and you'll see it and if the sheetmetal fingers that hold the pins in are mangled or your missing pins then that's probably it. For as easy as it is its worth a look.

It can range from not going in gear at all to having issues in just one particular gear, if you inspect the clutch just pull the whole basket and you'll see it and if the sheetmetal fingers that hold the pins in are mangled or your missing pins then that's probably it. For as easy as it is its worth a look.

Gotcha...

It'll be in the shop next week for new tires and a coolant leak fix so I'll suggest they take a look at that as well. Thanks for the info srk468.

Wouldn't it cause problems in the 4-5 shift if it had to do with the gear ratio?
It has zero problems between any other gears.
Clutches are a funny animal... some will hold real tight thru the gears.. then slip like heck in 4th, or 5th etc... Same goes for acting quirky in a particular gear... can be a couple issues... very slight glazing or burned areas... bad pressure plate... weak springs..... warped steels... you get the picture... lots of parts that must work in unison... only 1 part has to fail.

Is it only doing it while the shifter is in the up position during the shift? No vibrations or noises when in the specific gear? Repeatable but not 100% consistent? Could be a slightly bent shift fork or an overtravel condition in the drum allowing for you to "feel" the sides of the mating gears as they pass by each other.

If the segment is working loose then you could get a drum that is not rotating consistently and might be the underlying cause. Fairly easily checked and a little over $65 in parts to upgrade it. (normally I keep these parts in stock).

Is it only doing it while the shifter is in the up position during the shift? No vibrations or noises when in the specific gear? Repeatable but not 100% consistent? Could be a slightly bent shift fork or an overtravel condition in the drum allowing for you to "feel" the sides of the mating gears as they pass by each other.

If the segment is working loose then you could get a drum that is not rotating consistently and might be the underlying cause. Fairly easily checked and a little over $65 in parts to upgrade it. (normally I keep these parts in stock).

Correct, Correct, and Correct

I'll pass this info along when it's at the shop... thanks.

Also yesterday I was doing a 20ish-100ish mph drag against my friend and as I shifted to 4th it went to neutral, although the neutral light never came on. We raced some more and it didn't happen again.

Does this indicate anything different may be wrong?

Could be an indicator again of the segment coming apart. Again this was a noted issue for bikes prior to 99 (when a design change came into effect). I'd for sure upgrade the segment first then see if the problem persists.

The neutral light will only ever come on in true neutral since it's a mechanical contact build into the end of the shift drum and sending unit.

Back