Possible air leak???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebb

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a 95 VMAX and needs a little help. I cleaned the carbs they went together well and I am at the point of syncing them and it seems to rev high no matter how I adjust the idle screw or sync screw, Almost act like an air leak, when you rev it it doesnt come back down very fast like an air leak. However while it was running I sprayed a little carb clean around intake and such and didn't see a change. Not sure if the Vboost can cause this or not? Any direction or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

V Boost won't cause the revs to rise.
If it idled OK before you stripped the carbs then it is most likely down to whatever it was you did.
Go over again how you reassembled them and try running the bike with the throttle cables disconnected to rule that out as an issue.

Sometimes the way you route the cables can cause the cables to not release fully. If it didn't hang up before, then it's most likely something you touched.

A poor synch can affect idle.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It ran the same way before the carbs were cleaned. I will disconnect the cables however I am pretty sure they are free.

Thanks guys I found the problem. The guy before me must not have been careful when he pried the carbs off cause I found that the plate that the idle screw goes into was bent a little into the linkage and that was throwing carb #2 way off not letting the butterfly close all the way and the others when I was trying to sync them.

Good catch. I once bought carbs someone had a broken off mix screw in, I used a left hand drill to spin it right out. Thankfully they did not butcher the carbs trying to fix it once they hit the stumbling block.

I have also had to fudge with the idle pistons and follower fingers to make everything work together.

Latest posts

Back